Sat nav wiring question

I've got a problem with my denali power hub, its f@@ked, so can I reroute the sat nav power direct from the battery to the tom tom rider satnav holder clip thing & leave it without draining the battery ( with sat nav removed / unclipped )

Cheers mateys

YES.

The Zumo when fitted on my GS was direct to the battery and it had zero effect. I made a point of either removing it or turning it off when parking the bike overnight.

If the power supply for your Sat-Nav is regulated to 5V (USB) you will have a residual current which will slowly drain the battery regardless the device being plugged.

I would suggest you wire it to a cable that will go live when ignition is on.

If the power supply for your Sat-Nav is regulated to 5V (USB) you will have a residual current which will slowly drain the battery regardless the device being plugged.

Not only that the earth can fur up when permanently connected! don't ask me why but they do

This was a massive problem on the rider v1 and the mount would stop working

Get it on a switched live if you can [mention]Tankbag[/mention]

The mount for the TOM TOM.. is a little different to that of a Zumo.. (which is inert.)

the TOM TOM does have a draw... 5 milli Amps. due to its odd fuse protection which is ALIVE... its ALIVE

Not only that the earth can fur up when permanently connected! don't ask me why but they do

Get it on a switched live if you can @Tankbag

Earth connection furring up is down to electrolysis, its just down to the flow of electrons, on old cars with positive earth it used to cause corrosion on the bodywork, they switched to negative earth cause its easier to replace cables and connections than bodywork.

Earth connection furring up is down to electrolysis, its just down to the flow of electrons, on old cars with positive earth it used to cause corrosion on the bodywork, they switched to negative earth cause its easier to replace cables and connections than bodywork.

Yes thats right! and I knew this its in my brain somewhere but its not working tonight :lol:

I think this is a sign of old age :crybaby:

The TOM TOM mount doesn't have any USB connectivity. its a simple 2 wire 12v lead. that connects to the unit via two copper contacts.

There is an odd fuse wotsit in the unit.. thats the only difference between it and the Zumo mount.

Well now you mention it the problem was the earth feed to the denali had completely eroded & fallen off in side the hub box :shock: when I tried to get access to solder it back on the live side wire also detached & found to be corroded to bugger. I soldered them back on ( removing the relay to stop heat damage ) found the damn thing was zero resistance at the battery ( sparks when I tried to reconnect the spade at the battery ) I've ordered a new relay from Denali £3.76) hopefully that will fix it but if not I wondered about connecting the satnav direct but having read everyone's advise that's not a good idea.

Well now you mention it the problem was the earth feed to the denali had completely eroded & fallen off in side the hub box :shock: when I tried to get access to solder it back on the live side wire also detached & found to be corroded to bugger. I soldered them back on ( removing the relay to stop heat damage ) found the damn thing was zero resistance at the battery ( sparks when I tried to reconnect the spade at the battery ) I've ordered a new relay from Denali £3.76) hopefully that will fix it but if not I wondered about connecting the satnav direct but having read everyone's advise that's not a good idea.

Its not a bad idea but a better idea is a relay

You will be fine as a temp fix for a year or so

I wondered about connecting the satnav direct but having read everyone's advise that's not a good idea.

I would.. quite happily. for two reasons. 5mA is nothing. and i never leave the unit in the bike overnight turned ON.

during the winter when the bike stands for sometimes weeks on end... it gets plugged into an optimate.

Thanks Guys :cheers: I've got some riding to do to make up for lost time & for some of it I don't want to get lost :thumb: I'm happy to get lost sometimes but then I have to get un lost,,,, er if you get me.