Out and about security

Hi,

What’s everyone’s recommendations for a bit of security when leaving bike outside to nip into a shop. I know if they really want it they’ll take it no matter what.

I don’t have large amounts of luggage space, nor do I fancy carrying 22mm chain around the neck :lol:

I’m guessing my best choice will be an alarmed disc lock?

Probably been asked 100 times, my apologies

:stupid:

Thanks in advance

Guest Swagman

Anything which is highly visible will put off the basic thieves, so if you have a alarmed disc lock in a nice bright yellow or something like that it will help, the hardened thief will just lift it in the back of a van. Use your steering lock as well, I have a data tool alarm on mine I know a lot of people don’t like them say they are more trouble than they are worth always going wrong, well mine has been on the bike from new and still works 17 years later. :D

Get a chain and put it in a chain bag strapped to the seat . For goodness sake don't put a chain around your neck .

Edited by fastbob

It depends on whether you have a top box or not.

My Honda has a top box and is fitted with a datatool alarm (14 years old and works so far) so I carry a chain and padlock in the top box. That's my working bike so it gets left anywhere, hence the chain and padlock.

The Triumph has limited luggage capacity - just a swing arm bag, so I carry an Oxford Alpha XA alarmed disc lock. It's reasonably loud and is pretty robust. I don't leave it anywhere out of sight for long.

As said, unless you go for a very heavy chain and attach it to something solid thieves will either cut through any security device or simply remove the whole bike with lock attached in a van.

Disk locks can just snap and shear off when forced/ driven off hence the hi visible wire attaching them.

Best option would be sturdy lock and chain of possible,

Like you say nothing is fool proof if they have time and are determined enough!!.

Disk locks can just snap and shear off when forced/ driven off hence the hi visible wire attaching them.

Best option would be sturdy lock and chain of possible,

Like you say nothing is fool proof if they have time and are determined enough!!.

The hi vis reminder is for the rider to remember the lock is attached so they don't end up on the floor .

If your disklock shears by the small amount of force applied of driving off then i would buy a better lock .

The hi vis reminder is for the rider to remember the lock is attached so they don't end up on the floor .

I have heard the clunk of shame too many times :oops: Then the getting off and pretending you are checking something with the wheel and hoping nothings damaged as you try and take the lock off with what feels the entire town looking at you :lol:

I have heard the clunk of shame too many times :oops: Then the getting off and pretending you are checking something with the wheel and hoping nothings damaged as you try and take the lock off with what feels the entire town looking at you :lol:

:lol: Yup.

That's why I never bother with disk locks, protection offered is inversely proportional to their PITA factor. I lump two chains out with me whenever I'm planning on leaving it unattended - one or both of them attached to something immovable.

This clip is what i'm talking about, and its only 20 seconds long

That’s why I’ve always questioned the disc locks. I’ll probably never leave it for more than 15 minutes but like you say it only takes 20 seconds

This clip is what i'm talking about, and its only 20 seconds long

That’s why I’ve always questioned the disc locks. I’ll probably never leave it for more than 15 minutes but like you say it only takes 20 seconds

As is often said, nothing will stop a determined thief. But in most cases they look for easy targets so anything that makes difficult for them helps. In that video they were able to lift the front end and wheel the bike into the van. A disc lock or a chain on the rear would have slowed them down considerably.

Chain everytime attached to a secure object.

Alarms are a waste of money, nobody ever responds.

Thieves hate restrictions, a good chain would take an angle grinder and a lot of time to get through.

An alarm takes a pair of scissors.

I always use my disc lock on the rear wheel and if i'm away from the bike for more than a few minutes i have one of these and a chain :thumb:

27446.jpg

Think that’s what I’m going to go for with a decent lock, won’t take much room in a tail bag.

Cheers everyone :cheers:

I think paying attention to where you park the bike is as important, if not more important than any security.

I try to park where I can still see the bike, or park it where CCTV can see it.

I would never park somewhere quiet and out of the way, unless I have been staying at a hotel or B&B and then I ask when booking, for somewhere secure to park the bike.

In town there are specific places to park bikes that are next to railings to chain the bike to and I try to use them as much as possible.

I always use my disc lock on the rear wheel and if i'm away from the bike for more than a few minutes i have one of these and a chain :thumb:

27446.jpg

Think that’s what I’m going to go for with a decent lock, won’t take much room in a tail bag.

I have those for my boats. Last year I changed cars and arrived at the club without the key to the lock. It took less than 5 minutes with a very blunt Junior Hacksaw to cut through the cable. They look meaty but the cable inside is very easy to cut.

27446.jpg

I have those for my boats. Last year I changed cars and arrived at the club without the key to the lock. It took less than 5 minutes with a very blunt Junior Hacksaw to cut through the cable. They look meaty but the cable inside is very easy to cut.

But it is 5 minutes of someone being within 2 feet of a 120db sounding alarm in my case anyway, and not all alarms can be disabled with a pair of scissors :lol: :thumb: