Wireless charging phone mount

I have just fitted one of these to the bike

Wireless-handlebar-mount.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-Handlebar-Phone-Holder-15W-Wireless-QC3-0-USB-Charger-GPS-Mount-Stand/233572943963?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=533245393282&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2648

I am impressed with it, I wanted to eliminate having to plug the phone in to charge it. I tested the charging capacity and it charges the phone even on full brightness with several apps running.

I wanted to use my existing Ram Mount setup so had to fettle it a bit but I am pleased with the result.

Here it is on the bike.

20200519-190925.jpg

20200519-190932.jpg

I am well aware of the pitfalls and was willing to take a chance. I'll see how it gets on in the rain first. The phone clamp seems pretty foolproof but I might just use the X grip rubber band just in case. I have a galaxy S8 which self protects against over charging so that should save itself from frying.

If it goes tits up I'll let you know.

It seems fairly solid in your hand and doesn't look or feel like a pile of crap. Time will tell.

I have just fitted one of these to the bike

Wireless-handlebar-mount.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-Handlebar-Phone-Holder-15W-Wireless-QC3-0-USB-Charger-GPS-Mount-Stand/233572943963?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=533245393282&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2648

I am impressed with it, I wanted to eliminate having to plug the phone in to charge it. I tested the charging capacity and it charges the phone even on full brightness with several apps running.

I wanted to use my existing Ram Mount setup so had to fettle it a bit but I am pleased with the result.

Here it is on the bike.

20200519-190925.jpg

20200519-190932.jpg

Looks good and I think phone mountings are an individual choice. One isn't always good for all. I've struggled to find the right mount for my tracer and as if by magic some gut has made his own so I thought I would give it a try here's the link

Look at this on eBay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202994751133

Over the years I have found lots of creative ways to mount phones including making my own brackets. I had a perfectly good mount on my bike that did the job admirably, unfortunately I had to plug it in using a cable from the glove box socket. This was perfectly acceptable but a bit of a faff plugging and unplugging. So it was the wireless charging that sold this mount to me. I'll see how it goes longer term.

If it turns out the naysayers are right I will just revert to the old mount, simples.

I have tried a couple of phone mounts and I have to say I just can't seem to get on with them!

I'm in a bit of a catch 22 with it all to be honest! the garmin zumo 590 will run the phone through the unit so I can make and receive calls etc

But this means I can't connect the phone to my packtalk headset and control things from the phone like privacy when there is multi riders!

I have a waterproof mount but its rather bulky and the bars feel cluttered with it on and the sat nav :?

Stu, does your intercom have two bluetooth channels (i'm sure it must). My Sena 20S evo set up is thus. Connect phone to Tomtom for traffic data and cloud connection, then connect Tomtom as phone 1 to Sena then connect phone as phone two. This gives me phone calls through Tomtom and I can control music from the phone via the Sena. I tried several configurations before settling on this setup.

Stu, does your intercom have two bluetooth channels (i'm sure it must). My Sena 20S evo set up is thus. Connect phone to Tomtom for traffic data and cloud connection, then connect Tomtom as phone 1 to Sena then connect phone as phone two. This gives me phone calls through Tomtom and I can control music from the phone via the Sena. I tried several configurations before settling on this setup.

Yes it has two channels and this is how I tried to set it all up but they fight each other for phone and media support and its a constant battle!

If you turn the sat nav on first all is well but stop for fuel turn bike off sat nav goes off and the headset then does everything

and if you walk out of range of one or the other then the fight starts again

I think its a phone problem rather than sat nav or headset

Guest Swagman

Yes it has two channels and this is how I tried to set it all up but they fight each other for phone and media support and its a constant battle!

If you turn the sat nav on first all is well but stop for fuel turn bike off sat nav goes off and the headset then does everything

Best bet is to just leave the electronics off and enjoy riding the bike instead. :D :D

I found the key is how you pair the units to each other Garmin and Cardo may work differently. The pairing of the phone (with the music on) as a "second" mobile is the important bit, at least it is for my Tomtom Sena setup.

I found the key is how you pair the units to each other Garmin and Cardo may work differently. The pairing of the phone (with the music on) as a "second" mobile is the important bit, at least it is for my Tomtom Sena setup.

It makes no odds with the cardo units as if it can't find audio on one then it uses the other

i posted about making a diy one of these a year or two ago. I still have the charger coil but haven't got round to fitting it to my X grip.

The idea of putting my phone in the holder and it automatically charging with no cables is great. I believe in 2021 the iPhone will be released with no ports, it will be slammed by the media, then slowly everyone else will do it. Exactly the same as the headphone jack. To be fair I cant remember the last time I used the port on my phone so I wouldn't miss it.

• 2 weeks later...

By way of an update, I met up with a few mates today so got a chance to test the mount in the rain. It was light to moderate rain and the mount performed well and is still working and didn't fry the phone. This is only an initial test and will have to wait until I get caught in a deluge. Watch this space, so far so good.

As a final follow up and probably a close to this thread, after Wednesdays rain the bike was in need of a good wash, so this morning gave the bike a wash and while I was at it I gave the phone mount a good dowsing with the hose pipe and it still works fine. I now have full confidence that in a bit of, or even a lot of rain the mount should survive.

made in China .. come back in 12 months and tell me it has not :-

1.dropped your phone

2. fried itself , the bike or phone electrics

3.disintegrated because of poor materials or workmanship...

The same country that manufactures Icrap...

• 4 weeks later...

No problems with the mount so far then [mention]raesewell[/mention] ?

Is it nice and solid and no chance of the phone bouncing out? which is always my worry :lol:

I glued a couple of bits of foam into the corner mounts just for my peace of mind. It works well and my phone is still in one piece and has not gone sliding down the road.

• 3 months later...

How are you doing with the mount [mention]raesewell[/mention] ? Is it still holding up?

Asking as I'm tossing up in my mind between phone mount or satnav. I'd like find a way to use the phone as I don't want end up with a phone / sat nav fight like Stu has.

How are you doing with the mount @raesewell ? Is it still holding up?

Asking as I'm tossing up in my mind between phone mount or satnav. I'd like find a way to use the phone as I don't want end up with a phone / sat nav fight like Stu has.

You need a sat nav!!

Want to buy one? I still have one for sale :popcorn: