Hi All,

I will be looking to do my CBT soon, I know it is recommended that you have your own helmet, gloves and suitable footwear. I am looking at trying at the moment to keep the cost down at the Being if and then build up the gear as needed.

Quick question on foot wear. I have a good pair of Solomon gore-tex walking boots and also a pair of timberland type boots. In your opinion would either of these be suitable. They are both ankle covering boots.

Guest Richzx6r

Hi All,

I will be looking to do my CBT soon, I know it is recommended that you have your own helmet, gloves and suitable footwear. I am looking at trying at the moment to keep the cost down at the Being if and then build up the gear as needed.

Quick question on foot wear. I have a good pair of Solomon gore-tex walking boots and also a pair of timberland type boots. In your opinion would either of these be suitable. They are both ankle covering boots.

I have used walking boots whilst riding and while not ideal they are better than trainers.....so until you get some motorcycle boots they should suffice

Oh and hi and welcome to the forum

The timberlands will do you for your cbt. Amazing how many people show up wearing trainers :roll:

Bike boots obviously have much better protection in the likely impact areas if you come off and most importantly aren't as likely to come off your feet :shock: If you keep on riding I would consider them an essential purchase :)

I rode with a pair of DM work boots for ages and had no problem. I put on a dilapidated old pair of my instructors when I did my DAS and immediately ordered some second hand proper but cheap boots off fleabay.

My current ones would be 89 new I think or maybe less, I got them for about twenty quid and they are infinitely better.

I bought cheap everything to start and it did the job, things like wearing my mountaineering gear underneath meant I was good for all seasons.

A little while ago I spent about the same on second hand reasonable gear as I had spent on cheap new and will do the same for ever more now.

Heinz Garrick stuff is often reasonable on eBay and my second hand trousers and two jackets are both really good.

My suggestion DO NOT BUY until AFTER your CBT.

You then have ridden a bike and know what you want, after my CBT I knew:

My lid needed drop down sun visor,

I liked loose fitting necks on jackets,

I would rather have thick gloves than cold hands,

I would be riding my bikes more more than I expected...

I wore just normal leather boots I've worn to the pub fory CBT. The centre provided the rest.

As mentioned earlier don't buy things until you have done the CBT. Your Timberlands will do you for the day of the CBT.