TPMS Tyre Pressure Monitoring.

Following from [mention]husoi[/mention] post where I got introduced to TPMS - having not realised they could be so affordable.

Looking to get for my bikes to start with as I am notorious for not checking tyre pressures.

Present thoughts are Bluetooth, to phone app for bikes buying a set for 1 car and using on the bike.

Would also look at similar but independent for the cars and maybe caravan.

All affordable advice appreciated.

Following from @husoi post where I got introduced to TPMS - having not realised they could be so affordable.

Looking to get for my bikes to start with as I am notorious for not checking tyre pressures.

Present thoughts are Bluetooth, to phone app for bikes buying a set for 1 car and using on the bike.

Would also look at similar but independent for the cars and maybe caravan.

All affordable advice appreciated.

I find the one I have pretty good and never felt the need to let my phone poking its nose :P

The TPMS will start working as soon you move the bike and the sensors on the wheel will only need a few 100 yrds to start working.

If the bike was stopped for a longer period I will have checked the pressure before moving it anyway.

The bluetooth to the phone is useless for the following:

Sensors only work when the wheel is in movement.

You would have to be looking at the phone which while riding is illegal and dangerous

The display that comes with the TPMS is more than enough to give you essential information. It will give you pressure for each wheel, temperature and will have a warning if there is a puncture and the tyre is deflating too fast. Also, you can set alarms to temperature and pressure variation for each wheel.

If you can be bothered with taking the wheels off and the tyres and put a internal sensor this is the best option, even if more expensive. It will allow you to adjust the pressure without taking the sensor out. There are some adaptors you can get that will have a double valve so the sensor is fitted on one and the other is for topping up pressure if needed.

I never got it because I'm a lazy git :booty:

The place I got the TPMS for the bike have similar with 4 sensors for cars, I never heard of these for caravans or trailers but when I finish building the pull behind trailer I'll look for it ;)

If you go for any form of tpms remember to get the wheels balanced afterwards as the device weight will throw things out enough to cause vibration

Some valve mounted devices can place excessive stress on valves and cause the valve stem to fail leading to deflation ... May be slow through a minor fault to rapid deflation as valve stem snaps

I've never felt the need for one of these. In my experience tyres seem to exist in one of three states. Fully inflated. Flat. Or with a slow leak..which often starts the moment the tyre goes on and just needs a top-up every couple of weeks. I always check the pressure of a new tyre a bit more frequently until it's bedded in and it's state is "known" I can see a TPM helping with that.. But is it really worth it just for that? I've never thought so.

One of the reasons I oil the chain by hand is it gives me the opportunity to get intimate with the back tyre and give it a proper exam. I've had more than one scare with things in the tyre, ground down nails or screws usually that are fully penetrating the tyre and keeping the air in. How will a TPM warn you about that if there is no air loss. They are an excuse to be lazy.. "Ah, the gadget says everything is peachy, so why worry? It's teatime."

Well.. Everything might be peachy, but the tyre could be mortally wounded. It's for much the same reason I've not fitted an oiler. They can make you complacent. Make ME complacent.

It's no effort, takes seconds to check a tyre pressure and give the wheel a turn or two to check it for damage. That's something I was brought up to do. It was important in the 80s, it's just as important today.

I've had a sudden deflation, always in town and the signs are unmistakable. A TPM will just tell me what I already know.

Oddly enough I have never...from my first bike in 1980 to today, never had a front tyre puncture. Always and only the back.

But, anyway, It's a gadget. And don't we just LOVE a gadget. Bike manufacturers know this and so do gadget manufacturers and there is always some factory in an unpronounceable Chinese city ready to churn them out at 20p a throw and then some European or American puts a sticker on the thing adds some zeros to the price and bang, the cash flows.

All my own opinion of course.. And really just talking to myself. Don't get in a tizz.

You would have to be looking at the phone which while riding is illegal and dangerous

The display that comes with the TPMS is more than enough to give you essential information. It will give you pressure for each wheel, temperature and will have a warning if there is a puncture and the tyre is deflating too fast. Also, you can set alarms to temperature and pressure variation for each wheel.

If you can be bothered with taking the wheels off and the tyres and put a internal sensor this is the best option, even if more expensive. It will allow you to adjust the pressure without taking the sensor out. There are some adaptors you can get that will have a double valve so the sensor is fitted on one and the other is for topping up pressure if needed.

I never got it because I'm a lazy git :booty:

The place I got the TPMS for the bike have similar with 4 sensors for cars, I never heard of these for caravans or trailers but when I finish building the pull behind trailer I'll look for it ;)

[mention]husoi[/mention]

Thanks for the advice on how they work in practice. How hard is it to top up the tyre when they do go down a bit?

Regarding phones not wanting to start an old discussion on this, will say though. On a long ride mine sits on handle bars as a SatNav/ traffic/ hazard/ speed awareness app, I can use voice control to change apps, so all legal.

Looking at the apps I would not be switching to it routinely. I can set Low and high pressure/ temperature alarms and it will just shout at me when out of limits (I have had my fair share of punctures).

Although I do abuse my phone I try to keep the bike clear of clutter. Presently I have an app that on detecting Bluetooth connection various devices starts various apps. EG when connected to my headsets:

Music (can then be controlled from headset),

Google maps (directions/ traffic),

Tomtom Amigo (speed awareness ;) ),

Cardo connect as appropriate.

I can then use voice commands to switch between apps etc. Another app wont make much difference.

Most of the time I just turn headset on set volume and ride, getting shouted at occasionally in terms of speed awareness, there would be a confidence in getting shouted at for low tyre pressure as well.

I had been considering these external ones:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07MXFG28H/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AHCWXBCPZU6JP&psc=1

Internal ones I had not looked at:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/402278832330?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=402278832330&targetid=909953938039&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9045694&poi=&campaignid=10199634949&mkgroupid=101938390717&rlsatarget=pla-909953938039&abcId=1145987&merchantid=101461561&gclid=CjwKCAjwlZf3BRABEiwA8Q0qq9_JlSNTUpML5WRrbi0i7bJ2KgD9y5vlmh3njEr6w-MGbxzbGsbfMhoCcoQQAvD_BwE

Not to dissimilar in price with the advantages given, in your note, I will have to cost up the price of changing the valves on tyres.

People on here might know if that can be a DIY job? I can take all my wheels off easy enough and can transport to a garage for compressed air. Although that all sounds like allot of effort if it is easy to remove externals to change tyre pressures.

Noting your point [mention]TimR[/mention] regarding balancing and stresses.

For Caravan I would just put a car one on wheels (twin axle) and see if it has the range to reach the car.

PS watching your trailer thread with interest for a trailer for a dog and and outboard.

Hello

I fitted a pair of Fobo Bike TPMs to my sprint GT they worked OK but I had to get the wheels balanced again it was noticeable when travelling near the legal limit. These Fobos replace the Valve cover simple to fit needed new batteries every 12-18 months (CR2032 button batteries) Rread out was via my phone from memory I think it alterted me if the pressures were out even if the app was not on screen .

Still got them some place I think. I now have OEM ones fitted and a dash display it is better

@husoi

Thanks for the advice on how they work in practice. How hard is it to top up the tyre when they do go down a bit?

To top up the tyres you will just need to remove the sensor and put it back when finished. There are 2 keys that come with the set that will allow you to do it.

Comparing to the time you will spend without TPMS I would say that you will spend an extra 2 min each wheel. Usually before longer trips I get on the bike go to a quick round around the village to get the sensors going and only top up if I see that it's needed.

The process to mount the sensors (opposite operation to remove) is to put in the small locking nut on the valve then screw in the sensor and tight the nut up with the small spanner they will give you.

By the time you have messed about with all the gizmo's you could have connected a footpump give it a few pumps and off you go :scratch:

You could. on previous bike I thought pressure was good enough and tyres lasted 3k miles instead of usual 7k. Lesson learnt, always check the pressure to make the most of your tyres.

Not to mention the safety side of it :thumb:

By the time you have messed about with all the gizmo's you could have connected a footpump give it a few pumps and off you go :scratch:

You could. on previous bike I thought pressure was good enough and tyres lasted 3k miles instead of usual 7k. Lesson learnt, always check the pressure to make the most of your tyres.

Checking tyre pressures should all be done as part of your pre ride inspection anyway :thumb:

Has nobody heard the expression " Kick the tyres " ?

I did that on my car when I got a tpms warning rhe other day. They seemed rock solid but when I put the compressor on it they were like 1/3 down. Now, that might not actually be a problem, I don't know.

Checking tyre pressures should all be done as part of your pre ride inspection anyway :thumb:

So remove dust cap faff around to fit pressure gauge. Pressure ok. Refit dust cap. Ride.

As opposed to

Get on and move bike. Check pressure. Pressure ok. Ride.

:wink:

So remove dust cap faff around to fit pressure gauge. Pressure ok. Refit dust cap. Ride.

As opposed to

No idea on time as i always do my PRI's a couple of hours beforehand so i am all ready and set to ride when the time comes :lol: :thumb:

Has nobody heard the expression " Kick the tyres " ?

I did that on my car when I got a tpms warning rhe other day. They seemed rock solid but when I put the compressor on it they were like 1/3 down. Now, that might not actually be a problem, I don't know.

Are they run flat tyres, if they are it will always look rock hard, even without any pressure.

As opposed to

No idea on time as i always do my PRI's a couple of hours beforehand so i am all ready and set to ride when the time comes :lol: :thumb:

Could have a slow puncture and lost Pressure between checking and riding. :wink:

I got bike already with tpms, never had it before. Usually I would check tyre pressure once a week before, now with that option, it become obsession, checking all the time. Start to dislike it.

And we don't need any extra gizmos do we ?

Polish_20200615_160347364.thumb.png.d9c5e9c0e58b9d54bad7ae46d2c46b4f.png

I have a chargeable tyre pump similar to the one in the picture. Easy to use and fits nicely in my panniers if I'm going away use it on the car and caravan too.

Personally I like to check mine every week it's good to give the tyres a good inspection in any case. Too much tech on my bike as it is, anymore would just blow my small brain

71t-KNP1jPL._AC_SL1500_.thumb.jpg.f5ee58c6232917e76e1244fdf9e6d219.jpg

Maybe I am bad, pre ride inspections are limited I use my bikes almost daily one or the other.

I do keep eye on them, but pre ride checks. Not my thing in the early hours.

If one has not been ridden for whilst it will get a bit of a once over...