Tank bag suggestions?

I'm in the market for a cheap mid-sized tank bag. Any suggestions?

I looked at the Lomo and like its waterproofness, but not how it opens just as a dry bag, not flipping.

Also worried about paintwork damage from magnets, cos the bike is new-ish.

Cheap bags are not good and good bags are not cheap. SW Motech or Givi.

Thanks, but I'm not convinced by big brands like that. They might be a bit better, but most of the premium is in the marketing. I've seen so many 'quality' products fail the most basic tests, e.g. for staying dry.

As a dedicated cheapskate, I still believe it's possible to get decent gear cost-effectively.

+1 for avoid cheap !

I went for Baglux as I had bad experiences in the past with cheap which put me right off tankbags for years and I have been converted.

I also know a fellow member of the ZRX O.C who has done a tour in New Zealand before lockdown and always uses a Oxford magnetic so if you prefer that route I am

sure he will pass on the details.

Cheers

Ian

I have an Oxford magnetic tank bag, M15r, I've used it during the Winter time to substitute as a backpack and it worked well for the time I have used it. I've never been caught out in the pouring rain though so can't comment on how waterproof they are though. It does come with a waterproof linear that goes over the bag so in theory it should be OK.

Guest Richzx6r

I have a few tank bags all by oxford I believe and I believe I may have one or two laying around that are surplus to requirements should you wish to purchase

I swear by my Buffalo tankbag, its 15 years old & still great. It has a waterproof ' johnny ' bag that fits on it. So not waterproof on it's own though.

I saw a reasonable looking although smaller tankbag at Aldi once. In fact I have one if you want it for just the p&p ( & a vote for the mod gig :lol: )

I swear by my Buffalo tankbag, its 15 years old & still great. It has a waterproof ' johnny ' bag that fits on it. So not waterproof on it's own though.

I saw a reasonable looking although smaller tankbag at Aldi once. In fact I have one if you want it for just the p&p ( & a vote for the mod gig :lol: )

Do you really want the mod gig that bad that you are flogging of the family silver to garner votes lol. ????

Cheers

Ian

Guest Richzx6r

Do you really want the mod gig that bad that you are flogging of the family silver to garner votes lol. ????

Cheers

Ian

Definitely sounds like it eh, some people will do anything for abit of power

Thanks! If it's not in Lidl shocking pink, and not too small, I'll accept your kind offer, and of course vote for you, as I'm convinced you'd make an excellent mod. :lol:

If you tHink that magnets would damage your bike go for something like this, not the bike, tank bag :D

No magnets no contact with tank at all, it’s Givi but as per my experience all their products worth the money.

I had givi magnetic tank bag on my previous bike that had metal tank and didn’t have any damage caused by tank bag.

AC7AAAE5-ECB1-457E-9CA2-AB953DFC8DD2.thumb.jpeg.0c99fe119d8eb5f7410be912994253ed.jpeg

I have Givi 4l Tanklock bag, not cheap but definitely one of the better bags I've ever owned, IMHO Givi is hard to beat, there are other good makes but I have little experience of them. Learn from my mistakes, don't go cheap, I've had a couple of cheap bags over the years that are just not fit for purpose.https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/460392

Thanks! If it's not in Lidl shocking pink, and not too small, I'll accept your kind offer, and of course vote for you, as I'm convinced you'd make an excellent mod. :lol:

PM me your address, unless you live near south Staffordshire & want a brew somewhere here ish I'll be out on the bike Sunday morning :thumb:

PM me your address, unless you live near south Staffordshire & want a brew somewhere here ish I'll be out on the bike Sunday morning :thumb:

PM sent! :thumb:

I'm gonna try this option, [strikeout]because I'm a cheapskate, [/strikeout] in the interests of recycling. If it doesn't work out, no harm done and I'll take on board the advice of others , thanks. :D

+1 for the Givi solution. Got mine as a retirement present from work. :D

Had an Aldi magnetic one on my last bike. No trouble with the magnets.

334845B8-CA92-499B-B740-F72AE8950C49.thumb.jpeg.b0b709bd8c40c7afb1afdc8dc1519c44.jpeg

PM sent! :thumb:

I'm gonna try this option, [strikeout]because I'm a cheapskate, [/strikeout] in the interests of recycling. If it doesn't work out, no harm done and I'll take on board the advice of others , thanks. :D

I don't use the Aldi one because I love my Buffalo TB.

You could do a tried & tested review :thumb:

+1 for the Givi solution. Got mine as a retirement present from work. :D

Had an Aldi magnetic one on my last bike. No trouble with the magnets.

Looks like my Givi. Only issue I have is that a full lock the bag catches on my handlebar mounted GPS. Looking at modifying the location of that.

Got one of these. Totally waterproof and can charge devices internally.

DF2EF658-4E2C-4FE6-AB52-B2F433211081.jpeg

How high does it go up on your bike, I've always wondered how high they go up and wasn't sure if I should get ones that big? Plus back then I only had a CBR + new rider so didn't want my vision of the tachometer blocked so opted for the smaller ones.

Guest Richzx6r

How high does it go up on your bike, I've always wondered how high they go up and wasn't sure if I should get ones that big? Plus back then I only had a CBR + new rider so didn't want my vision of the tachometer blocked so opted for the smaller ones.

Biggest one I ever had I could rest my chin on top of the tank bag.....

:lol: Was it comfortable after long period of riding?

Guest Richzx6r

:lol: Was it comfortable after long period of riding?

It was comfortable enough yeah