Where to get gloves with shorter fingers?

I just spent 1/2 hour looking at the glove wall in J & S with no success. I looking for gauntlet style so the will fit over a leather jacket an I could use them on a track day. 2 issues:- 1/ Most gauntlets won't fit over the sleeve fastenings. 2/ All gloves' fingers are too long for me by about 10mm. Is it just me?

If your fingers go right to the end of the gloves, when you wrap the fingers around the grip there may be a little pressure which will eventually make the ends of your fingers go numb.

Play attention that finger-less gloves for motorbikes is illegal since 2015 (or thereabout) according to EU legislation.

With Brexit I have no idea what will happen but won't be surprised if they will keep the law unchanged

I read it that he went to j&s and got fingered at the glove wall, maybe some kind of glory hole situation, I don't know. It was right up to the cuff of the sleeve but the fingers were too long.

[mention]Pbassred[/mention] No, not just you. I got a good half a dozen gloves from sports bike shop before finding a pair to fir my stubby fingers.

I would not wear fingerless gloves.

That said I though that the only legally mandated equipment was a helmet ⛑?

The law has a few nuances depending on each country.

But generally EU law, ambiguous as all of them, dictates that you can't wear fingerless gloves but if you decide to go without no gloves then that is not illegal.

All gear from head to toe must have a CE (not to be mistaken with Chinese Export - CE) certification and be under EN specifications.

Fingerless gloves don't have CE or EN certification so they are illegal.

What you can do is, get a pair of summer gloves and cut the tip of the fingers (the glove not your ones :P ) They will then still have the CE tag from the original but because there is no mention of the finger in th label they can't be considered illegal.

Isn't the EU fabulous? :lol:

I didn’t think the law about CE certification applied to what I wear (except maybe helmet) but rather what can be sold as protective gear?

Is there not a difference between the laws that talk about what can be sold and what cannot, and what can worn or not.

I was under the impression there is no law about what I choose to wear other than helmets.

Have I been getting this wrong?

I didn’t think the law about CE certification applied to what I wear (except maybe helmet) but rather what can be sold as protective gear?

Is there not a difference between the laws that talk about what can be sold and what cannot, and what can worn or not.

I was under the impression there is no law about what I choose to wear other than helmets.

Have I been getting this wrong?

Nope

Helmet mandatory. Everything else advised to wear.

Can we please keep it on the subject of gloves...

Unfortunately I don't have CE marked fingers. I didn't think that I was that far off EU standard. I don't know where fingerLESS came from. Still looking.

Glove sizing is all over the place. IME even two gloves from the same maker, of supposedly the same size can be slightly, but noticeably different. I would try again at J&S and literally try on every single glove.

I think you'll find you're required to also wear at least a pair of trousers when riding a motorcycle on the public highway.

Re gloves, if you're really struggling would a pair of thin liners help? They tend to take up a bit of space at the fingertips.

I have small fingers and I found Held gloves work really well and even the thumb is a normal length.

What people have said above is right, your fingers should be just ever so lightly brushing the end of the gloves when on the bars with a closed grip, which means when you put on gloves normally there should be a little room at your tips which closes up when you grip something. When you try on gloves go find a bike to sit on and test. Most sensible bike shops will see no problem with this and some even have a handlebar in the gloves section to try out.

Gloves that touch your fingertips with an open hand will create pressure points and restrict your movement when gripping the bars which, is horrible on a long day.

Some say leather gloves stretch about 5% and will go down the route of wearing them and dunking them in water and then going for a ride to break them in. I personally found they just soften up a little so I just try to find gloves that fit well to begin with, which are snug (not tight) but have the little gap at the end of the fingers from day one. 5% of 3" is not a lot (3-4mm) and textiles do not break-in at all.