What am I missing for the price?

Please don't take this as a "Cheaping out" over safety supplies but I'm looking at my first round of trousers, helmet, jacket and boots and I can't work out what information I'm missing out on.

Even within a bricks and mortar store, as much as online web stores, a helmet can range from £60 to £600. I get the lightness benefits, but are there any safety benefits that make that worthwhile (Read an MCM thing that says they all have to pass the same safety tests to be sold here anyway?)

What I can't get though is the Amazon prices for things like Jackets, Trousers and Boots, I know they are going to be Chinese but am I really missing anything safety wise. There is a huge disparity in jackets cost £50 at Amazon and them STARTING at £200 at the local shop.

If I was convinced there was some major benefit to the £200 jacket I'd buy it in a heart beat but I can't see it. Hopefully some of you more seasoned riders will be able to tell me what I'm looking for and when to get the expensive and when to save a few pounds?

Thanks

First of ll I wold stay clear from Amazon on what refers to bike safety gear.

Helmets city would be my preferred place for my helmet. I got my Nolan from them and very happy with it.

Depending on what use, what bike you have you maybe want to invest more or kess.

A very good helmet for speeds over 40mph is your best choice, because you're not saying what bike you have or will be getting is hard to judge what you really need. Of course, if you go for a high speed bike then you need to have an helmet that protects properly on higher speeds. Noise is another factor you will need to consider along with weight for obvious reasons.

There are many online shops dedicated to motorbike gear but if this is your first time purchasing I would first have a try in store before going straight online. You don't have the feeling of what you will be needing until you try it on. It will be pointless for anyone to tell you "go to these or those other..." because you will be the one wearing it.

Same goes for gloves :thumb:

Bike gear is a very individual matter, what is comfortable for one person won't be for someone else. And you want to be comfortable on a bike so personally I always try things on before buying. Last time I bought a pair of boots it took me over 2 hours trying different pairs on.

In terms of price - it is generally true that you get what you pay for and better stuff lasts longer and keeps you dry / warm / cool - whatever the case for the kit you're buying. Usually buying cheap is expensive because you end up replacing stuff more frequently.

But whilst it's worth paying more for decent quality you can pay a lot of money for no extra quality just a fancy name or gimmick. So you need to shop around and choose carefully.

You can get lucky second hand and end up with better quality kit than you would otherwise be able to afford.

for helmets, find somewhere to try them on. There is a big difference in fit and one brand might not fit you well at all, its nothing something you can guess online really.

For clothes, have a think about your riding. Will you be riding all year round in all weathers, if so think about how you will stay warm and dry. Are you likely to be riding a night so do you need to think about your visibility.

If you will only be riding in sunny weather on warm days then leather is probably king but comes at a price. Textiles are good all year round but have a look at what they are made of and what that material is like as protection in a slide.

Do you just want to look good and hang around the bikeshed in east london, then maybe bike jeans and a nice leather jacket.

Cheaper stuff might have bulkier armour and this might be less comfortable, it it less likely to be waterproof and may lack things like vents to keep you cool.

Best bet is find somewhere and go have a look and feel the difference between cheap and expensive and decide how much use you will get out of it and whats best suited to your needs.

with helmets there is a baseline 'quality' where it has to meet the standard. over an above that you are paying for care in design. safety over and above the baseline. A longer service life. small things like replaceable or swappable parts that improve 'fit' or washable parts. A level of Quality control the cheaper brands cannot manage. A meaningful warranty. Even a larger choice of sizes in smaller increments. proper testing for the real world.

With clothing (excluding leathers) much the same applies.

I tend to go for the best that I can afford.. high end. because it lasts and lasts, I ignore waterproofs that do not employ Goretex. because their lifetime guarantee is worth having. AND because they are incredibly fussy about who they allow to use their product. because they back everything they make they insist on the best workers and quality control. Unless i get lucky at sale time I wouldnt even look at anything at the low end price-wise. because i want materials that can protect my skin, bone and muscle.

I wont touch anything from Amazon, because i want to examine and try on, before i hand over my hard earned, Though i have been known to try on and then seek out the exact same item online at a marked discount.

i do tend to get my moneys worth.. the most expensive item of clothing i have ever bought is now 10 years old and as good as new. It has never leaked and kept me comfy at 3c and tolerably 'temperate; at 30c. I also tend to buy more of one thing.. ie gloves. i have gloves for all conditions and chop and change them.. which means they last donkeys years. I have 2 season winter gloves. Gloves that are spring.autumn. (both goretex) and 3 other pairs to fill in the gaps. Nearly every pair of gloves i have were bought in sales. heavily discounted. Om the type to buy end of season winter gloves in April that wont be worn until the following November. Or summer gloves bought in October. and so on.

thats what i do.. what you do is up to you. its your cash.

Please don't take this as a "Cheaping out" over safety supplies but I'm looking at my first round of trousers, helmet, jacket and boots and I can't work out what information I'm missing out on.

Even within a bricks and mortar store, as much as online web stores, a helmet can range from £60 to £600. I get the lightness benefits, but are there any safety benefits that make that worthwhile (Read an MCM thing that says they all have to pass the same safety tests to be sold here anyway?)

What I can't get though is the Amazon prices for things like Jackets, Trousers and Boots, I know they are going to be Chinese but am I really missing anything safety wise. There is a huge disparity in jackets cost £50 at Amazon and them STARTING at £200 at the local shop.

If I was convinced there was some major benefit to the £200 jacket I'd buy it in a heart beat but I can't see it. Hopefully some of you more seasoned riders will be able to tell me what I'm looking for and when to get the expensive and when to save a few pounds?

Thanks

Here's a quick comparison between a cheap online jacket and a decent jacket

Thanks

OK, That was good..... so the obvious next question is. Recommendations for shops to go and try some of this stuff out, someone who can help the newbies? I'm in the Reading area but can travel a bit. Where should I go?

One thing I always remember about the first time I wore a decent quality jacket was the lack of wind that used to get through it. Came as a shock to me as I had got so used to my cheap jacket letting all the wind (and rain) in.

Thanks

OK, That was good..... so the obvious next question is. Recommendations for shops to go and try some of this stuff out, someone who can help the newbies? I'm in the Reading area but can travel a bit. Where should I go?

Reading has a sportsbikeshop

Cheap kit, around £50-£100 per item is unlikely to be waterproof in sustained bad weather and expect it to protect you once if you come off.

Decent kit, around £200-£500 per item (gloves a bit cheaper), is likely be waterproof (ie Gortex) and will likely survive coming off so it can still be used.

I have £75 gloves, £500 jacket, £200 trousers, £200 boots, £200 helmet and have had the same stuff for a decade (helmet and boots changed due to smell) and survived a 30mph off. My first £50-£100 lasted about a year.

Rate of diminishing returns - you can get a 5 star Sharp rated hjc with a drop down internal sun visor for £70 - mine is great. https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/hjc-is-17-shapy-graphic-motorcycle-helmet-2004416/

This is all the lid you will need.

Anything more may not be worth much. It might be slightly lighter (I don't think it makes a big difference), but the fact that some plain models are £400 and fancy colour scheme version is £550 shows that it's fashion, darling. My current lid is hjc rpha 11 race jobbie with no sun visor, has a cool colour scheme is lighter cos its carbon and its £250. It IS nice and slim so I look like way less of a bobblehead which is good, and very airy and cool and half the price of shoe or arai comparison top of the range lids.

Reading has a sportsbikeshop

It does. I believe they let you do an actual test ride with a lid which is unique as far as I know. Go there.

Rate of diminishing returns - you can get a 5 star Sharp rated hjc with a drop down internal sun visor for £70 - mine is great.

You studied economics then?

And got to agree with you on HJC! Great helmets! Particularly for Shoei heads!

I used Shoei for years......and yes, they are better than HJC!

But not four times better if you use the pricing points as the yardstick!

Rate of diminishing returns - you can get a 5 star Sharp rated hjc with a drop down internal sun visor for £70 - mine is great.

Studied 10 years in the school of Internet mate!

It's how I value all purchases. I love spending money but like to ensure I'm getting a good deal, hence my staunch support of the rpha 11 at its £250 price point.

Studied 10 years in the school of Internet mate!

It's how I value all purchases. I love spending money but like to ensure I'm getting a good deal, hence my staunch support of the rpha 11 at its £250 price point.

Another agree with the HJC Helmets. I swear my HJC RPHA-10 is quieter and comfier than my Schuberth C3 Pro :?

with helmets there is a baseline 'quality' where it has to meet the standard. over an above that you are paying for care in design. safety over and above the baseline. A longer service life. small things like replaceable or swappable parts that improve 'fit' or washable parts. A level of Quality control the cheaper brands cannot manage. A meaningful warranty. Even a larger choice of sizes in smaller increments. proper testing for the real world.

With clothing (excluding leathers) much the same applies.

I tend to go for the best that I can afford.. high end. because it lasts and lasts, I ignore waterproofs that do not employ Goretex. because their lifetime guarantee is worth having. AND because they are incredibly fussy about who they allow to use their product. because they back everything they make they insist on the best workers and quality control. Unless i get lucky at sale time I wouldnt even look at anything at the low end price-wise. because i want materials that can protect my skin, bone and muscle.

I wont touch anything from Amazon, because i want to examine and try on, before i hand over my hard earned, Though i have been known to try on and then seek out the exact same item online at a marked discount.

i do tend to get my moneys worth.. the most expensive item of clothing i have ever bought is now 10 years old and as good as new. It has never leaked and kept me comfy at 3c and tolerably 'temperate; at 30c. I also tend to buy more of one thing.. ie gloves. i have gloves for all conditions and chop and change them.. which means they last donkeys years. I have 2 season winter gloves. Gloves that are spring.autumn. (both goretex) and 3 other pairs to fill in the gaps. Nearly every pair of gloves i have were bought in sales. heavily discounted. Om the type to buy end of season winter gloves in April that wont be worn until the following November. Or summer gloves bought in October. and so on.

thats what i do.. what you do is up to you. its your cash.

:stupid: