Commuting with Bike Gear

Firstly thanks for the warm welcome to the forum and all the help on the first question I submitted.

Just to preface, I'm a noob that knows nothing about bikes, so my initial questions are likely to be silly! :stupid:

I'm looking to get my bike license for the most important reasons; the life-long dream of riding out on the road, that sense of freedom, and also to be part of an awesome community! :cheers:

However, this will also become my main mode of transport to the train station when I start going back into the Big Smoke (as it would be a very long bike commute, esp as a novice!) [EDIT: Don't get wrong - the idea of a 2-3hr ride sounds great, just trying to be a bit sensible]. As far as I can tell, the station doesn't appear to have any lockers of any sort, so I'm trying to figure out what I would do with all my bike gear - is there a rucksack big enough?! :)

Just wondered if you guys have similar situations and/or ideas?

If by your bike gear you mean

Helmet

Boots

jacket

trousers

gloves

sat-nav

TMPS (Tyre pressure monitoring system)

phone holder

cables for phone and sat-nav

rain trousers

rain jacket

spare gloves

buff (the one from the forum)

earplugs

etc.

Then you will need a mighty bag :lol:

Try one of those with wheels because the whole set will be heavy and you don't want to be walking around with all that weight on your back.

If there is no locking facilities at the station then your alternative is a streetlight post or a tree. A long enough strong chain that will also lock the wheels.

You would probably be looking into some good quality bike cover for the rain and to hide the bike from sight.

Remember, you get what you pay for.

Cheap means poor quality and won't last long. :cheers:

Depends what you're wearing. If you wear kevlar jeans on the bike then all day where you get to obviously you won't need to store that. If you're wearing waterproof overtrousers they are bulky and may not fit in a bag (well lightweight plastic ones will). Your helmet you will need to store for sure of course. Jackets are quite bulky - I've never tried to put mine in my rucksack but it wouldn't fit.

You can get a top box that can store these things locked on your bike.

When I've done this my usual practice was helmet & gloves go into the top box.

No fancy and usually unnecessary electronics.

Commute wearing jacket, riding trousers and boots. Keep a change at work. I end up having a pair of shoes in most places I am at regularly.

In wet weather use overjacket and overtrousers and carry them in a small rucksack.

I have a small 38 litre holdall and all this fits in it :thumb:

Leather jacket, jeans,boots, gloves, and lightweight waterproofs :thumb:

Sorry about the blurred pics, just took them to show :lol:

P1020753.thumb.JPG.1bab413645e9c57135c197b7e7ed12ff.JPG

P1020755.thumb.JPG.c455362aabe21e3a3d27b8d3d12f6dae.JPG

Hi All!

Thanks for your replies so far - all really helpful!

Husoi - Apologies, I probably should've been more specific in my original post, the station has a locking area for bikes, just no lockers for gear!

Giving it a bit more thought, I'd definitely continue to wear the jacket - this would become my standard to work jacket.

So, I suppose I'm just thinking of helmet, gloves, boots and trousers. Good idea about the top box - that makes sense, gloves and lid can go in there!

Then it's just a case of boots and trousers which I should be able to fit into a bag with my laptop (Thanks Dynax! The pics are really helpful!)

Thanks all!

Hi All!

Thanks for your replies so far - all really helpful!

Husoi - Apologies, I probably should've been more specific in my original post, the station has a locking area for bikes, just no lockers for gear!

Giving it a bit more thought, I'd definitely continue to wear the jacket - this would become my standard to work jacket.

So, I suppose I'm just thinking of helmet, gloves, boots and trousers. Good idea about the top box - that makes sense, gloves and lid can go in there!

Then it's just a case of boots and trousers which I should be able to fit into a bag with my laptop (Thanks Dynax! The pics are really helpful!)

Thanks all!

Be weary that topbox isn't safe. You only need a screwdriver to force the lid and have it open. I've learnt the hard way when a moron took my rain trousers (fortunately they were not expensive).

Not biker specific but go to a diving equipment retailer and have a look at their gear bags, they do ruck sacks as well, you can get a hell of a lot of gear in them, they can be quite bulky though depending on what you go for. 11.thumb.jpg.8d353cae0f9d0797cc0b9d11b5f36463.jpg

I did this for a whilst, my solution 2 bikes.

A scooter Suzuki Bergman with large boot and top box. It could take my helmet and all in 1 bike suit and boots.

Then another bike for playtime...

The Bergman is a good call.

You can wear your boots to work and a pair of shoes under your desk. Then you've only the trousers to worry about. Rain proof overtrousers (small and light) plus kevlar jeans which you can wear all day?

The Bergman is a good call.

You can wear your boots to work and a pair of shoes under your desk. Then you've only the trousers to worry about. Rain proof overtrousers (small and light) plus kevlar jeans which you can wear all day?

I have something similar to this:

https://www.infinitymotorcycles.com/product/spada-stelvio-hydrologic-1-piece-waterproof-mens-suit/anthracite?gclid=CjwKCAjw1K75BRAEEiwAd41h1Lf3Mvo3oGlHKEyHc_nMnLWO9afZ70YtkeD4P2nICvYT2IEXs1i_mhoCALkQAvD_BwE

Boots off shoes on work bag out of boot, bike gear in. No bike gear at work or on commute, no one need know, for me it was not fashion statement. It was primarily a way to avoid £300 a month parking charges...

Oh and riding a scooter every one expects you to ride like a dick, it would be foolish to disappoint them.