Security advice needed

Hi,

I am new to this forum, so I hope I am posting this in the right section!

I've recently moved home and with the move I lost access to a bike shed I was using to keep my bike in.

Unfortunately, for a number or reasons, I need to leave my bike outside. I am not on a main road, it's a residential entirely new area that is currently still being built and my house is among the ones that are furthest from the main road.

I already have a disc lock and a full cover.

I am looking to buy one of either Almax or Pragmasis chains to secure my bike and I'd like some help if possible. At least initially, the bike will be right outside of my main door and it will be chained to a lamp post.

Can I ask you which size in mm would you recommend? Should I go for the 19mm or will a lower size be sufficient?

Additionally, regarding the ground anchor: should I install it even though my parking space it is not directly outside of my front door (and outside the field of view of my camera)? or will the lamp post suffice?

Just as FYI my parking spot is possibly 10 meters from my door on the left hand side, in front of one of my neighbors door (yeah, new houses built weirdly).

Thanks and apologies for the long post.

The lamp post, biggest chain you can get :lol: , also worthwhile fittng an alarm to the bike imho, some people don't see the point, but it makes noise even you're the only one that takes notice when it goes off, gives you some peace of mind :thumb:

You can get a small tracking device.

It pleases the insurance company, lowers the premium and new models can be tracked on an app

All these things are always about making it as much of a PITA as possible, whilst also acknowledging that if someone was really keen they would get through the security. The fact it's a residential area and they're going to have to make some noise is in your favour.

Does your disc lock have an alarm? That may be a reasonable trade off versus fitting an alarm. Also maybe try a Monimoto tracker? (which will ping your phone if your bike is moved).

For your chain, yes definitely get the biggest and meatiest you can afford.

Longer term if you can fit a ground anchor then with the right drill it's easy to do, but do you definitely have permission?

Thanks a lot for the responses!

I am currently looking at getting this chain (I hope it's good): https://securityforbikes.com/proddetail.php?prod=P19-x.x-SS80CS-NW4

I do have permission for the ground anchor, but the problem is that I can only install it on my assigned parking spot that is not directly outside of my door (and definitely outside of my camera field of view), but about 10mt away: that is the only reason I am considering the lamp post, only because it's right outside my front door.

However, I am happy to install a ground anchor if that is the best solution...

I am looking at bike tracking devices as well, thanks for the suggestion!

You would get a better deal with sportbikeshop and if you follow the link that runs on the bottom of the forum you will be helping [mention]Stu[/mention] and the forum :thumb:

You would get a better deal with sportbikeshop and if you follow the link that runs on the bottom of the forum you will be helping @Stu and the forum :thumb:

Oh nice! Thank you for pointing it out.

Guest Swagman

I would go for a heavy chain and the lamp post, but you do need to get the chain off of the ground so if they have bolt croppers they cannot get purchase on the floor it’s hard to crop with out something to hold against, they can always use a grinder but that makes a lot of noise in a built up area, make it as awkward as possible thieves like the easy option. :thumb: :thumb:

I would personally go for the biggest, baddest chain I could find, locked to an immovable object like a lamp post or ground anchor .... Unfortunately, if thieves want it they'll get it! All you can do is put obstacles in their way to make it less attractive. When I go down to visit my brother in Middlesex, my bike has to stay outside, I lock it, using an Almax chain (which imo is brilliant), locked to a ground anchor, I also use an ABUS disc lock, its the alarmed disc lock, which is great so long as it isn't windy, windy weather seems to cause false alarms. I cover the bike and that's pretty much all I could sensibly do.

Thank you all for the responses, it's much appreciated.

My only fear right now for locking the bike on the lamp post is that the chain might end up touching the floor, especially if I buy an heavy one (like the Pragmasis 19mm or similar) because of the weight of the actual chain.

I already bought a decent disc lock (or at least I think it's decent!), and hopefully together with chain and cover it will act as deterrent...

My only fear right now for locking the bike on the lamp post is that the chain might end up touching the floor, especially if I buy an heavy one (like the Pragmasis 19mm or similar) because of the weight of the actual chain.

I already bought a decent disc lock (or at least I think it's decent!), and hopefully together with chain and cover it will act as deterrent...

If you place that chain around lamppost and bike frame it will not touch the floor. Placing chain around the wheel is useless.

Guest Swagman

If you place that chain around lamppost and bike frame it will not touch the floor. Placing chain around the wheel is useless.

Just as Marino said. :thumb:

Your worry should not be about the casual opportunist, it should be about professionals.

in all cases, keep it locked, never leave it unlocked for even a moment. stop, disc lock on while you get your chain. so it cant be wheeled away.

key to peace of mind in your situation is doing you utmost to prevent 'spotters' from following you home, so they know where the bike is kept. Seeing the security you are using and then coming equipped to deal with it.

On your final approach, always have your eye on the mirrors. are you being followed? if you are then go round the block to be sure. its that simple.

keeping the bike covered at all times is important too. dont flaunt it.

Being friendly with the neighbours is always useful. the more eyes and ears you can count on the better.

this in addition to points already made.

If you let us know what bike it is that might have some bearing on the subject . By the way , where does your insurance company believe the bike is kept ?

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions, it's really appreciated!

If you let us know what bike it is that might have some bearing on the subject . By the way , where does your insurance company believe the bike is kept ?

Sorry I should have mentioned it: it's a Kawasaki VN900 Classic. In terms of insurance, as I am moving these days, the bike is still in the old bike shed; I'll have to update it once I will get the chain and all the tools I need to lock it properly.

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions, it's really appreciated!

Sorry I should have mentioned it: it's a Kawasaki VN900 Classic. In terms of insurance, as I am moving these days, the bike is still in the old bike shed; I'll have to update it once I will get the chain and all the tools I need to lock it properly.

What a beaurful bike!

Insurance wise, I do not know how a theft would be dealt with if you anchor to a lamp post, rather than a specifically designed ground anchor. I would recommend reading through the insurance quote site drop down box that lists security devices to see what they are happy with. I have a Kryptonite ground anchor specific chain and disc lock called a New York Noose.

Insurance wise, I do not know how a theft would be dealt with if you anchor to a lamp post, rather than a specifically designed ground anchor. I would recommend reading through the insurance quote site drop down box that lists security devices to see what they are happy with. I have a Kryptonite ground anchor specific chain and disc lock called a New York Noose.

Thanks a lot for this, it's a very good point regarding the insurance; I'll make sure of that.

I would have been super happy to put it in my parking spot with a ground anchor, was it not for the fact that it's 10 meters away and not in the camera field of view :cry:

Thanks a lot for this, it's a very good point regarding the insurance; I'll make sure of that.

I would have been super happy to put it in my parking spot with a ground anchor, was it not for the fact that it's 10 meters away and not in the camera field of view :cry:

Also get a quote without any security devices. When I parked mine on the road it made very little difference to the quote if I declared no security devices than if I declared top end chains. That way if I was out and about and only put a disc lock on I wasn't in breach of my insurance by not using the declared security, gave me a bit more flexibility and no way they can back out. Obviously when I parked up overnight I had two disc locks, two chains chained to a telegraph pole and a cover on the bike.

As [mention]goat[/mention] says, get a quote without too - when I bought my most recent bike (which has a manufacturer fitted alarm) I was advised not to declare it, because it won't make a massive difference to the price and if they have any hunch I didn't set the alarm it would just cause me unnecessary aggro when dealing with the claim. I did a quote with and without and I think it was about a tenners difference, so I didn't bother declaring.

I've also heard the same about saying you keep it in a garage overnight, if you ever do leave it on the drive one night you may end up with a headache...

Guest Swagman

As @goat says, get a quote without too - when I bought my most recent bike (which has a manufacturer fitted alarm) I was advised not to declare it, because it won't make a massive difference to the price and if they have any hunch I didn't set the alarm it would just cause me unnecessary aggro when dealing with the claim. I did a quote with and without and I think it was about a tenners difference, so I didn't bother declaring.

I've also heard the same about saying you keep it in a garage overnight, if you ever do leave it on the drive one night you may end up with a headache...

When I spoke to a insurance advisor and told them the bike had a alarm and disc lock plus chain he said you will only get a 10% discount for one of them anyway. :D

All these things are always about making it as much of a PITA as possible, whilst also acknowledging that if someone was really keen they would get through the security. The fact it's a residential area and they're going to have to make some noise is in your favour.

Does your disc lock have an alarm? That may be a reasonable trade off versus fitting an alarm. Also maybe try a Monimoto tracker? (which will ping your phone if your bike is moved).

For your chain, yes definitely get the biggest and meatiest you can afford.

Longer term if you can fit a ground anchor then with the right drill it's easy to do, but do you definitely have permission?

I've got a Monimoto, its accuracy for telling me where the bike is very good, within metres in fact. Plus as SSE wrote, it pings my phone if it detects vibration or movement. It's standalone & the batteries last about 12 months. The customer help is very good via the app & they have updated the app for live tracking. I'd have as a minimum, alarmed disklock, tracker, the biggest chain & padlock possible & a bike cover. MCN newspaper are doing a 12 page pull out report on the best bike security in this wednesdays edition :thumb:

Also get a quote without any security devices. When I parked mine on the road it made very little difference to the quote if I declared no security devices than if I declared top end chains. That way if I was out and about and only put a disc lock on I wasn't in breach of my insurance by not using the declared security, gave me a bit more flexibility and no way they can back out. Obviously when I parked up overnight I had two disc locks, two chains chained to a telegraph pole and a cover on the bike.

I have heard of, but never known if it has actually happened, that non-use of a declared security device can affect a claim. I presume it would not be an issue if you use a specific ground anchor security set up, as you clearly are not going to take it with you.