Can a learner cross the severn bridge?

Guest andy_mc

I'm riding from cornwall to Scotland next month, and want to cross from bristol into wales without having to take the long way round through Gloucester. Can learners go over either bridge into wales???

looking at google maps, both bridges are motorways, pretty annoying really. Would be tempted to just push the bike across on the footpath, it's only a mile or two and would be quicker than the hour and a half detour to gloucester

Both Bridges are Toll Motorways..good news is that Motorcycles are free..bad news is that Motorway restrictions apply and no L plated vehicles allowed..the pedestrian path could be an option but i wouldnt think the police will be to happy if they spot you.. :)

I got an official reply from them:

Dear Mr McAdam,

Thank you for your email. As both bridges are motorways learners are not permitted to use the road. I can confirm that there are cycle/pedestrian paths on the Old Severn Bridge (M48) ONLY. They are on both sides and easily accessible from either end. If your bike is under 50 ccs then you can ride across on the cycle path but if it is over 50 ccs then you must push it across.

I hope the information I have provided has helped.

Regards

Claire

Customer services

So, I push my bike across the M48 footbpath, as long as I don't start the engine then it's fine. According to google maps, that means pushing the bike 2 miles. That should still be easier and quicker than the 70 miles detour to gloucester

Andy,

The Bridges are part of my daily commute.

If you push across take care as you will get run down by all the bikes being ridden over :!:

Ride across (on the footpath slowly), use the footpath you access from the Services slip from the roundabout. As long as you use a bit of common you are unlikely to be stopped anyway, they will only see a small bike with L plates.

btw, this is the way my son and others I know use the bridge.

If you do get stopped apologise, get off and push the rest of the way. I don't think you will.

Hope these lads are fit as they are gonna have to be to lug the bikes over the Bridge..dont forget that half of the push will be slightly uphill.. :D