Glasgow area

Depending where in Glasgow you are... Some of these are a bit of a trip but doable on any bike if you're willing and have the time. Lots to choose from.

I've heard there's good stuff around the Campsies but haven't been there myself.

In the borders there are lots of good roads. Muirkirk road south from strathaven is a good route down (we poor surface at the muirkirk end), via new cumnock and down to Thornhill.

Dalveen pass

Menock pass (both down near Thornhill)

Road from Thornhill to Monaive, out to St John's Town of Dalry and new Galloway, everything around the Galloway forest. All good but quite technical and worth getting to know before hoonig there.

A701 Broughton to Moffat

A708 Moffat to Selkirk (some tricky bits again but twisty enough to be fun on a 125)

Unnamed road leading from A701 to A708 Cappercleuch past Talla and Megget reservoirs. Also good on a 125, some single track.

Loch Lomond isn't great on a bike IMO too busy and the roads up the west side aren't brilliant. Lots of good stuff north of that though such as the Dukes Pass (careful on the bends, a few that tighten up) between Aberfoyle and Callander.

You can head up from Callander to Crianlarich and Tyndrum then further north through Glen Coe or the road up to Oban. A bit straight and open on a 125 but good scenery. Keep to speed limits in towns to avoid cameras.

Further north again Invergarry to Kyle of Lochalsh is great. Applecross and the bealach Na Ba is grest, as is everything north of there on the west coast.

South again has the A83 from loch Lomond to Lochgilphead.

A93 and A939 North from Blairgowrie is great to and worthy of AV overnight stay around Aberlour before a trip back via A82 the next day.

Up Gt Western Rd, stay on the A82 to Tarbet, then go to Arrochar and take the Loch Long road back via Helensburgh and home. That is a good circuit with lots of different road types to practice on.

Up Gt Western Rd, stay on the A82 to Tarbet, then go to Arrochar and take the Loch Long road back via Helensburgh and home. That is a good circuit with lots of different road types to practice on.

I hate that section of the A82 so much so that I bypass it using the motorway going in towards Callander.

The rest is good though and I suppose it's fairly local.

Hate that Dukes Pass.

Not a great road for a Fireblade.

Go to East Kilbride, out to Strathaven, down to Muirkirk, then to Sorn, over to Galston, thru Darvel back towards Strathaven, to EK again is a good wee loop.

It's not really but it's good on a little bike or something adventure styled. I don't like the road from galston to strathaven, it's too busy most of the time so that even overtaking you end up stuck behind people approaching bends. The rest of the route is good though, I'd poorly surfaced in places.

• 2 months later...

Hey, I'm a bit late to the chat here but I just got my cbt last week and a honda cb125 yesterday, did you ever come up with anything good for practicing? I'm in Ayrshire and have the luxury of only working Tuesday - Thursday 8-4 so hopefully will be able to get a few quieter days out before the bad weather sets in.

• 6 months later...

Hi all,

are there still some riders from Glasgow/Ayrshire way? It's getting into the nice weather and would anyone be up for a ride or coffee and a chat somewhere nice (Can select a place with scenic roads to get to if people don't want to ride as a group.)?

Thanks,

Ben.

• 4 weeks later...