Trip into Bonnie Scotland?

Guest WalneyFrankie

Hi All,

I have a week off coming up, and am thinking about a trip up into Scotland..

did one year before last, up the A6 to Carlisle, and then theA76 Kilmarnock, up to Loch Lomond, and on to Helensburgh (Wedding central in Balloch, so no room at the inn...)

then had a ride round loch lomond, before heading home on the M74 (weekend trip..)

so this time i fancy something different.. am thinking of a coastal trip, heading over to Stranraer.. and then up the coast line..

what are your thoughts, anywhere i should definately go? or avoid? I'll be travelling on my own and B&B/pub for accom.. saves on luggage/ finding campsites etc..

Hi Walney,,, did this route too many times to remember, have did it in a day but with sight-seeing stopover, it could be a

more enjoyable trip. I would like to do it that way soon with photo stops, but when your on the move it's hard to do

that to be honest with all those twisties,,,, :twisted:

Wherever you go you'll have a blast I'm sure,,,, 8-) :wink:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&sourc ... e=UTF8&z=7

Depends how long you want to take and what you're into really.

If you head to Dumfries on the A75 and take the A710 coast road through

New Abbey; Sweetheart Abbey and the corn mill are worth visiting couple of nice pubs too.

on to Sandy Hills; lovely beach but tides can be treacherous if you go too far out or you could go on a bit further and stop off at Kipford which is absolutely beautiful and has at least 4 pubs to choose from

then round to Dalbeattie (the granite town) pick up the A711 and

head through Auchencairn nice tight twisty road up through the village with a very good pub on the righ hand side

sod it just go A75 to Dumfries, A710 to Dalbeattie (not A711 yet), A711to Kirkcudbright A755 to connect with A75 again, at Dunragit turn off on teh B7084 for Drummore at Drummore follow the signs for the Mull of Galloway, this is the most southerly point in Scotland, has cracking views and the next stop to the west is the USA :lol: there is a decent resteraunt here as well. from there there are a couple of ways to go depending on how much time you have etc

i'm thinking a three day trip, so two overnight stops.. so barrow to stranraer, possibly ayr, stopping overnight, then on somewhere else, coming back down the east side..

OK suggest stop in near (but not in) Stranrear or Newton Stewart

Day 2 from Newton Stewart take the A714 (one of the best bike roads ever IMO) to Girvan and pick up the A77 (watch out on this road cos its average speed cameras all the way up) when you reach Ayr turn back south on the A713 towards New Galloway, at Dalry turn left onto the A702 (another of the best bike roads in the UK) and follow it all the way to Edinburgh.

Day 3 pick pretty much any road south but I recommend the A701 'Devil's Beeftub' road to Moffat then take the B7076 (former A74) to about Lockerbie then nip onto the motorway to J49 and pick up the A6, or you could head through Carlisle and round west Cumbria on the A595. 3 days of crackng riding and lots to see and good places to eat. Just be aware that Newton Stewart is shut on Sundays :roll: :lol:

OK suggest stop in near (but not in) Stranrear or Newton Stewart

Just be aware that Newton Stewart is shut on Sundays :roll: :lol:

this is a midweek, thing, as i'm off, and anyone know of places to stay, near stranraer, but not in.. Pub, preffered, then i can have a few beers..

think i've done the Moffat to Edinburgh run, in my youth on a SB200 (Suzi 2Str Twin), might have to do the 4th Bridge... lol

Do you mean Forth Bridge ?

Be aware there are severe roadworks due to start soon on there.

I know you can filter etc, but just thought I would warn you.

Oh and remember the Rest And Be Thankful is closed due to a landslide as well.

Ratster you're thinking of the A712 Newton Stewart to New Galloway section (also known as the Queens Highway), it is a belter but the other two are better and I was trying to get WalneyFrankie out of D&G and north a bit.

The whole of the A712 Newton Stewart to New Galloway and on through Corsock to Crocketford is a great road but then is there a bad or boring road anywhere in D&G except the eastern section of the A75 and the M74 :roll: ? Other than those 2 its a case of pick a road, any road :mrgreen:

'Fraid I don't know the Stranrear area well enough to recommend any pubs but the Ken Bridge Hotel near New Galloway on the A713 is a good stop off and is used to bikers stopping off there and there's loads of hotels in Newton Stewart.

Cheers Chicane / Ratser, lots to go on, but so far first leg will prob be, up the A6 to carlisle, A75 to stranrear, have a run around portpatrick and the like, then head north on the A77 to girvan/ayr/kilmarnock to find somewhere to stay.

possible leg 2.

A71 to Edinburgh, spend some time in the city, and then head south on the A68 to galashiels, and Hawick (did a cycling trip there in my youth,) A68 to Hexham

Leg 3,

follow if possible Hadrians Wall back to Carlisle and then down through the lakes (Keswick, Ambleside, Coniston) and home.

Edited by Anonymous

• 4 months later...
Hi All,

did one year before last, up the A6 to Carlisle, and then theA76 Kilmarnock, up to Loch Lomond, and on to Helensburgh (Wedding central in Balloch, so no room at the inn...)

then had a ride round loch lomond, before heading home on the M74 (weekend trip..)

so this time i fancy something different.. am thinking of a coastal trip, heading over to Stranraer.. and then up the coast line..

what are your thoughts, anywhere i should definately go? or avoid? I'll be travelling on my own and B&B/pub for accom.. saves on luggage/ finding campsites etc..

Give me more than 20 mins warning :roll: this time....... n I'll put the kettle on :)

Oh and for a bit of a diversion...tyr Cream O' Galloway nr Kurkudbright. 'Assault course area with Crows Nest, Flying Fox, and the most scrummy ice-cream made on the premises :D

Hi All,

Give me more than 20 mins warning :roll: this time....... n I'll put the kettle on :)

Oh and for a bit of a diversion...tyr Cream O' Galloway nr Kurkudbright. 'Assault course area with Crows Nest, Flying Fox, and the most scrummy ice-cream made on the premises :D

Wiggleit, this was the original thread, before that run, somehow cropped up again... but I am not planning a Scotland excursion this year, (well not yet....)