Police safety video

Place your funny or entertaining, stories, videos, jokes and pictures here.
fastbob
Bike(s): Harley Davidson 1200 Roadster
Has liked: 2867 times
Been liked: 3149 times

Re: Police safety video

Post by fastbob » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:57 pm

James in Brum wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:05 am
Up until I temporarily had
No brake light switch for the rear brake I used the rear brake mostly.
I now use he front a bit more and not sure how it plays out average wise. It’s easy to build a habit.
You should have been using the front brakes almost exclusively on a ZZR 600 mate .

James in Brum
Subscriber
Bike(s): ZZR600D1
Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 320 times

Post by James in Brum » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:43 pm

Thanks for the Tip.
I have found I don’t need my brakes much, unless I am choosing to enjoy the bike’s potentia of course :-)
Time spent being groovy to each other is always well
Spent

Mississippi Bullfrog
Subscriber
Bike(s): Honda CBF500 ABS Triumph Bobber
Has liked: 642 times
Been liked: 1764 times

Post by Mississippi Bullfrog » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:14 pm

I used to use the rear quite a bit in heavy traffic when I lived in the city centre, but only gently to settle the bike in tight situations.

The only time I tickle it now is on gravel tracks where I don't want the front to let go. Some of the farm tracks are not brilliant for two wheels.
Honda CBF500 ABS
Triumph Bobber

Tankbag
Subscriber
Bike(s): Hayabusa Gen1
Has liked: 1177 times
Been liked: 413 times

Post by Tankbag » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:28 pm

Inescapably we've got into a braking thread, in the circumstances of the original post, ignoring observations, there were two choices. Load up the front or off the brakes & try & go around what you don't want to hit. Oh & 3rd, don't volunteer to ride a bike for a video when you haven't for 15 years :lol:

If it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem

Mississippi Bullfrog
Subscriber

Post by Mississippi Bullfrog » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:17 am

I remember the guy who taught me to ride saying always be looking for your escape route. He drummed it into everyone. Many collisions happen when people use the brakes more than the steering.

It's a natural panic reaction which causes humans to freeze rather than think. His point was to make a habit of always thinking where do I go if this goes pear shaped. It changes how you view the road and your options. It has made particularly aware of those situations where there isn't an obvious escape route which means I enter those scenarios a lot slower.
Honda CBF500 ABS
Triumph Bobber

manxie49
Bike(s): Yamaha MT10 & Honda CRF250
Has liked: 302 times
Been liked: 376 times

Post by manxie49 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:39 pm

I agree with Mississipi, I had the same thing taught to me when I did an advanced rider course. Natural reaction, when things go pear shaped to want to stop the bike and suddenly grab for the brakes, it sometimes isn't the best thing to do though, getting a tank slapper is a prime example. I was also taught, on a motorway, never get stuck in the centre lane with vehicles on both sides, "unless its slow moving traffic of course", the rationale was to leave yourself an escape route. So the thinking behind, "what will I do if things start to go tits up" is sound, and as said, it changes how you think about everyday riding.

I tend to use the rear brake mainly for slow manoeuvring, the rest of the time its a mix or front and rear with emphasis on the front, I would say 80% front and 20% rear. The exception would be when off roading but that's a different ball of wax all together. Looking at this video the rider behind could have avoided the accident had he have been watching what was going on ahead of him, it also looks like he's slammed the rear brake on causing a rear end slide, this is a typical newbie mistake, so it sort of makes sense that this guy isn't a seasoned biker.

It was also a bad place and time to make a road safety video, fog, damp road, fast road, and why the copper stood out in the road in front of him doesn't make sense?? He puts himself and other road users at risk.
If you don't like Motorcycles, you won't like me .... And I'm OK with that!

Mississippi Bullfrog
Subscriber

Post by Mississippi Bullfrog » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:28 pm

manxie49 wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:39 pm
It was also a bad place and time to make a road safety video, fog, damp road, fast road, and why the copper stood out in the road in front of him doesn't make sense?? He puts himself and other road users at risk.
This reminds me of a story told by a guy I worked for in a garage years ago. I'm sure it's a shaggy dog story told in various forms but it was good at the time.

He said that when he did his motorcycle test it was in the days when the examiner would step out in front of you. (As indeed happened on my test.) The guy took him to an area, told him to ride round the block and he would jump out in front of him - at which point he was required to demonstrate his emergency stop.

So he went round the block. No-one jumped out. He thought the examiner was being tricky and hoping to catch him unawares. He went round again. And again, and again. At one point he was stopped by the police and diverted down another road which gave him some anxiety, but he kept going round the same route as much as he could figuring the examiner would figure out what was going on.

Eventually he ran out of petrol and had to walk back to the test centre. When he got there they told him the examiner had heard him coming, jumped out, only it was the wrong motorbike and he'd been run over. That was why the police diverted the traffic whilst the examiner was loaded into an ambulance.
Honda CBF500 ABS
Triumph Bobber

Return to “News, Entertainment and Humour”