What tests do I need to take and what will I be able to ride?

Hi,

I'm 17 and, about to apply for my provisional. I'm then going to get my CBT and from what I read I believe I then go onto my A1? (I'm 17 and from the UK)

I just wanted to ask a few questions about the lessons and after the lessons.

- How long roughly do these tests take? ( Obviously varies but, average )

- How much will it cost me? ( Again roughly )

- Afterwards, what bikes will I be eligible to ride? ( I have been looking into the KTM duke 125 series, not sure on a model but, am I able to ride this with an A1 license if not, any other recommendations? )

Any other advice will be appreciated and, thanks in advance.

Welcome to TMBF mate. .....pop over to the Newbies section and introduce yourself to the guys when you can. ....... 8-)

TBH, at 17 I wouldn't bother with the A1 test unless you need to travel on motorways or take pillion passengers.......otherwise I'd just do the CBT and ride 125cc bikes on L-plates and then go for the A2 when you're 19....... :wink:

Thanks I'll take it into consideration! Think as my first I'm going for the Kymco K-pipe, I know there is a lot better out there just, seems like a really nice bike to build my confidence. Will slowly move up towards bigger and better. Thanks a lot for the help. :)

Sadly no. The aim of the CBT is to give you enough basic training to keep yourself out of trouble while you're learning to ride. On the CBT you will attend about 2 hours listening to stiff about what kit to wear and why should go out on the bike when its icy, 2 hours practising basic stuff like turns, and a final 2 hours riding on the road with the instructor and probably 3 others. You will have great fun and learn very little.

If you're interested in building your confidence and becoming a better rider then why not take the occasional lesson after doing your CBT? You wouldn't even have to take the A1 test. What you learn would really add to the experience your getting of riding the roads and would be a good preparation for the A2 test when you do it.

Like Bonio said you could always just take the odd lesson to help you build more and more confidence on the road. The tests themselves are all the exact same test with just a different bike. So the A1 tests that you'll do are the same a full A or A2 test but the bike size is variable.

So if you're 17 now, and go in for your CBT, you can ride the 125 for 2 years on L plates, you won't be allowed to carry a passenger and you won't be allowed on motorways.

If you stick to the idea of that then going for A2 when you're 19, you just need to make sure that your CBT hasn't expired. It'll last for the 2 years then you'd have to renew it. So if you turned 17 in June, and pass your CBT in October, then waited to do A2 at 19, you'd have those few months after turning 19 to get it done.

EDIT: Prices...your CBT will fall in at around the £120 mark, that'll include price of hiring a bike from the training school. Individual lessons will be at the price the school sets, and I honestly can't offer you a guide on that sorry. You can find standard test fees here but it s worth considering that you'd need (most likely) to hire a bike through your chosen school for a warm up before the test and a bike to use during the test.

On top of this lot, don't underestimate the cost of buying sensible gear to ride in, lids, jacket, boots and gloves as a bare minimum. I don't want to put you off but make sure you buy the best gear you can afford! :cheers:

and why should go out on the bike when its icy,

I think you dropped a "not" there Bonio :lol: :lol:

Ice is properly evil on a bike :evil: Dropped mine on black ice :crybaby:

Ha. Someone actually read my post :D