Hey

Guest markdavidjoyce

Hey guys.

Looking for a bit of advice. I am 37 years old and have just passed my cbt. Can’t decide whether to go out and get a 125 and get a bit of experience or just go and do direct access and get a bigger bike. Had a look at a Honda grom the other day and did like it. Any advice would be welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to TMBF mate. ..... 8-)

Personally I'd go DAS straight away......you get more training, and when you get your full license you'll have a much larger choice of bikes......and bigger bikes are better anyway...... :wink:

Depends on what you want to use the bike for. I stayed on my grom for 2 year before getting my full licence. Still use the grom to cross the city to get to and from work - it is so much more fun on such a small bike!

The grom (and most 125's) are ideal for buzzing around town in 20-50mph limits. Out of town they can start to struggle and, depending on how much you love speed, get a bit frustrating.

Welcome to TMBF.

In my opinion go straight for the DAS. I passed my CBT last March and got a Honda CB125F. 7 weeks later I'd passed my DAS and wanted a bigger bike. I had a enjoyable 2000 miles on the 125 (mostly commuting) in them few weeks and was lucky to not lose any money on the 125.

When you pass your DAS you'll have a hell of a wider choice of bikes. Some are even similar prices to what you'd pay for a 125 anyway (if you don't mind a slightly older bike).

I was gonna say big bike immediately if you can afford it, but I had a load of fun on my 125. No, I'm still gonna say it though - big bike immediately if you can afford it.

It's like if someone says 'should I get a car with a 1 or 3 litre - I can afford to run either'. Yeah get the faster one.

Don't listen to em about 125's ... no other biker will give you the nod ,not even other 125 riders ,no one will talk to you at cafes etc you'll feel like a complete loner :|

Don't listen to em about 125's ... no other biker will give you the nod ,not even other 125 riders ,no one will talk to you at cafes etc you'll feel like a complete loner :|

That's just you...

I Nod & talk to 125 riders

I dont care what your bike is...a biker is a biker

I was in my mid 30's when I decided to pass my CBT, being slightly underconfident, i bought a 125, rode around on that for 2 years, my friend passed is DAS after a year but we did have some good road trips on our little bikes.

I guess its all down to yourself, and what your comfortable with. I feel I learned a fair bit tootling around on my 125 and always had bikers at the biker cafe, willing to have a chin wag with me