Bike license in a week

Hi all

The school I did my CBT with do a bike license in one week course- it's tempting to do it this way and get it all out of the way in one go. Has anyone else gone down this route? Any thoughts?

Have you got biking or driving experiance?

Personally it wouldnt have worked for me. I had 10 years driving experiance and never ridden a bike before. I needed the time between the lessons!

Trouble with them, in my opinion, is that if you fail the mod 1 then you have to cancel your mod 2 and then thats a lot of pressure to have on your shoulders!

However lots of people have done it successfully!

Have a care to your gear as the British weather can be.. erm.. temperamental. Be sure to have waterproofs available.

There is nothing new or particularly unusual about doing a full course and tests in 1 week. I would imagine the on road lessons would concentrate on the known routes the examiners use.. so by the time you have your test you should know them and all the secret possible fails.. ie an easily missed 20mph stretch. by heart.

Edited by Gerontious

Have you got biking or driving experiance?

Personally it wouldnt have worked for me. I had 10 years driving experiance and never ridden a bike before. I needed the time between the lessons!

Trouble with them, in my opinion, is that if you fail the mod 1 then you have to cancel your mod 2 and then thats a lot of pressure to have on your shoulders!

However lots of people have done it successfully!

Have been driving almost 30 years, keen cyclist, but CBT is only motorbike experience.

How long ago was your CBT? If you've been on a 125 for a bit then I'd say a week course is overkill, I rode on my CBT for a while then did a single half day training and passed mod 1 and mod 2 with a clean sheet. Didn't even kill anyone along the way!

How long ago was your CBT? If you've been on a 125 for a bit then I'd say a week course is overkill, I rode on my CBT for a while then did a single half day training and passed mod 1 and mod 2 with a clean sheet. Didn't even kill anyone along the way!

Good job on minimising the collatoral damage!

Did cbt a couple of weeks back, but would be booking this for around June I guess. Won't have access to a 125 in the meantime unfortunately.

Did mine on a three day course but split so you do a days training, mod 1 the morning of the second day with mod 2 training the afternoon of the second day. Mod 2 is booked after passing mod 1, so third separate day is morning training, mod 2 test afternoon. Works well and you don't lose mod 2 test fees if you fail mod 1.

Courses are normally sold as a number of days, so whether they are in the same week or more spread out it should cost the same.

If you think you will benefit from the time between lessons to think things over, or it is easier to get one or two days off work per week, then get it spread out.

If you think you will learn better without gaps between lessons so everything remains fresh, or you can easily take a whole week off work then do it together.

That is really all it comes down to, the lessons will be the same regardless of when they are. So it is just a matter to how you learn best and when you can be available.

I assumed everyone did an intensive course. I'd ridden a 125 for a year and did a 4 day das and passed clean (well, almost - 1 minor in mod 1). First time pass rate is quite high in my area. You can check online.

I did CBT and DAS all the way to mod 1 failure in a week's intensive course. I decided to do in Exeter - a place I still get lost in - which wasn't a bright decision as I was always in the wrong lane. And I found the whole experience pretty tiring, so I wasn't functioning at my best at the end of the week. Friday was meant to be mod 1 and mod 2, but on the emergency stop I clipped a cone with my toe: it rocked to the left, then to right, then back to left, and then it fell over. Gutted. I think if I'd spaced it out over a month it would have worked better, but in the end it all ok: I found another school to continue with (as I was no longer in Exeter) and got through mod 1 and mod 2 with just a couple more lessons.

When I booked my DAS I just asked what they had available and that turned out to be practice at the DVSA centre on Saturday, mod 1 there on Tuesday morning followed by mod 2 practice, then mod 2 was first thing in the morning on Thursday week. So a three-day course spread over thirteen days.

The person I was paired with for the first two days had their mod 2 at a later date than that, though.

And the other pair who were with us on the Saturday were doing a four- or five-day course and had extra training before their mod 1 on Tuesday afternoon.

Having it all together would have been convenient, though something important then came up for that first weekend where I had to go away, so the two day gap ended up being super helpful. And I still got to practice an emergency stop on the Sunday morning when a deer decided to cross the A10. But otherwise it being scheduled spaced out or together did not bother me either way.

I was not even bothered that I was mostly cheated out of my third day by having very little time for practice before the test, and nowt to do after because I passed. Got two minors (one for giving way to the right on a roundabout) but extra training would not have helped.

Got two minors (one for giving way to the right on a roundabout)

Eh?!

Mini roundabout with three exits. Not much between us getting there but a car to my right (straight ahead) signalling right which arrived first, then a car to my left (which must also have been signalling right), then me (wanting to go straight ahead). But the car ahead stopped and we all ended up giving way to each other as we all wanted to take a second exit.

A white van then came from the left, went around the waiting car, and went left on the roundabout. Which was enough to break things up for the ahead car to proceed and so finally off we all went. It was something like ten seconds in total.

I got told afterwards as they were not moving I should have just continued and left them to it. Obviously what I would do normally, but not sure whether that is the official position or just that particular examiner. So in the same situation again I would still rather risk a minor for not making progress than risk a fail for not giving way.

Got two minors (one for giving way to the right on a roundabout)

Eh?!

Mini roundabout with three exits. Not much between us getting there but a car to my right (straight ahead) signalling right which arrived first, then a car to my left (which must also have been signalling right), then me (wanting to go straight ahead). But the car ahead stopped and we all ended up giving way to each other as we all wanted to take a second exit.

A white van then came from the left, went around the waiting car, and went left on the roundabout. Which was enough to break things up for the ahead car to proceed and so finally off we all went. It was something like ten seconds in total.

I got told afterwards as they were not moving I should have just continued and left them to it. Obviously what I would do normally, but not sure whether that is the official position or just that particular examiner. So in the same situation again I would still rather risk a minor for not making progress than risk a fail for not giving way.

Yes I've seen that happen many times at mini roundabouts.

I did a 3 day super course in 1994, cbt on day 1, then practicing all day 2 out on the roads, then day 3 test. Bit different test back then but it's good to get it all over with in as shorter time as possible. :thumb:

I did CBT and DAS all the way to mod 1 failure in a week's intensive course. I decided to do in Exeter - a place I still get lost in - which wasn't a bright decision as I was always in the wrong lane. And I found the whole experience pretty tiring, so I wasn't functioning at my best at the end of the week. Friday was meant to be mod 1 and mod 2, but on the emergency stop I clipped a cone with my toe: it rocked to the left, then to right, then back to left, and then it fell over. Gutted. I think if I'd spaced it out over a month it would have worked better, but in the end it all ok: I found another school to continue with (as I was no longer in Exeter) and got through mod 1 and mod 2 with just a couple more lessons.

I did my test at Exeter back when the test center was deeper in Marsh Barton.

I had a month of lessons solely round Marsh Barton as it is pure hell if you aren't comfortable with it.