What was your emergency stop speed?

• 4 months later...

30mph in my test but I did it when you still did the emergency stop on the road.

I had a nice dry road, unlike my Dad when he did his test who had to do it on wet leaves.

What? They don't do it on the road these days?

We just rode round the block until the examiner jumped out from behind a tree and so long as you didn't run him over you passed.

Same here, not so much a tree or bush as I could see where he was from the other side of the square he had me ride around, so I knew when he was going to step out in front of me!

Probably a good reason they changed it I guess.

• 2 months later...

30mph in my test but I did it when you still did the emergency stop on the road.

I had a nice dry road, unlike my Dad when he did his test who had to do it on wet leaves.

We just rode round the block until the examiner jumped out from behind a tree and so long as you didn't run him over you passed.

Same here, not so much a tree or bush as I could see where he was from the other side of the square he had me ride around, so I knew when he was going to step out in front of me!

Probably a good reason they changed it I guess.

I was told it was to do with the required speed being over 30mph.

As such they couldn’t use most of the roads they would without advocating breaking the speed limit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

48kph so a minor but no need to do it again and that was the only minor

What's with the kilometres instead of Miles?

the fact we still use mph rather than kph is backward (oh and so it brexit)

48kph so a minor but no need to do it again and that was the only minor

What's with the kilometres instead of Miles?

the fact we still use mph rather than kph is backward (oh and so it brexit)

Not sure using MPH is backward. using one rather than the other is rather arbitrary. Would be very costly to swap everything from miles to km and for very little gain. Personally I quite like that there is a mix of imperial and metric in this country, I like that you buy fuel in litres but measure fuel efficiency in mpg for instance. Good work on shoe horning brexit into it as well. What was your emergency stop speed? brexit. Did you pass your mod 1? brexit. Would you like to go to the cinema tonight? brexit. This apple is rather tart don't you think? brexit. :mrgreen:

Not sure using MPH is backward. using one rather than the other is rather arbitrary. Would be very costly to swap everything from miles to km and for very little gain. Personally I quite like that there is a mix of imperial and metric in this country, I like that you buy fuel in litres but measure fuel efficiency in mpg for instance. Good work on shoe horning brexit into it as well. What was your emergency stop speed? brexit. Did you pass your mod 1? brexit. Would you like to go to the cinema tonight? brexit. This apple is rather tart don't you think? brexit. :mrgreen:

backward is probably the wrong word, but I disagree about using imperial and metric, go for one and do it properly rather than this half arsed learn to convert situation we are in. Litres and mpg is a prime example of where it just don't make sense like you say. Like it or not (generally age related) metric makes far more sense.

I really hope brexit doesn't see us regress back to imperial for everything, it's already doing enough damage elsewhere.

backward is probably the wrong word, but I disagree about using imperial and metric, go for one and do it properly rather than this half arsed learn to convert situation we are in. Litres and mpg is a prime example of where it just don't make sense like you say. Like it or not (generally age related) metric makes far more sense.

I really hope brexit doesn't see us regress back to imperial for everything, it's already doing enough damage elsewhere.

you saying I'm old? :wink:

I totally agree with the mixture and use a mix myself constantly, said similar before on a thread from a few months ago about the mixture in wheel and tyre sizes. I use whatever is better at the time to articulate compared to what I want to do. Cutting 2 inches off is easier than cutting 50cms off and putting a hole 7.5mm from edge is more accurate than 5/16"

And the whole mph to kph is pointless, why go through all the expense in changing signs no-one pays attention to anyway :wink:

I totally agree with the mixture and use a mix myself constantly, said similar before on a thread from a few months ago about the mixture in wheel and tyre sizes. I use whatever is better at the time to articulate compared to what I want to do. Cutting 2 inches off is easier than cutting 50cms off and putting a hole 7.5mm from edge is more accurate than 5/16"

And the whole mph to kph is pointless, why go through all the expense in changing signs no-one pays attention to anyway :wink:

Building materials are classic for this, just did an order for work. 4" 3.6m posts, 1kg of 4" nails, 3.6m x 3.5"x1.5" Rails. Metric has its advantages like a litre of water is 1Kg but sometimes a mix just works.

Building materials are classic for this, just did an order for work. 4" 3.6m posts, 1kg of 4" nails, 3.6m x 3.5"x1.5" Rails. Metric has its advantages like a litre of water is 1Kg but sometimes a mix just works.

Yeah got a load of 2.6m 2x2" in garage but that works lol have seen 4x2 and 2x2 written in metric before and was totally confused :lol: metal even more fun bought some 6m 1x1" 1.25mm thick box section.

But surely that is what we should be about, using what works and what people understand rather than 1 rigid system purely for uniformity.

:offtopic:

Lets face it. The metric system was invented for people who can not multiply and divide in anything but base 10 numbers.

while I'm at it lets bring back The farthing HalfPenny and groat. ( Don't remember the groat) . :lol:

:wink:

Like it or not (generally age related) metric makes far more sense.

A gramme is the weight of pure water at 4°C in the mean atmospheric pressure at the latitude of Paris in a cube with sides of a billionth of the distance from the Equator to the North Pole, recorded at sea level.

Call me old fashioned but when I buy potatoes the last thing I want to think about is how they are equivalent to how much space pure water, at the temperature at which the molecules are the most contracted before it enters a low energy state, would take up in Paris, as a proportion of the distance from the Gulf of Guinea to the North Pole, but only on a day when the atmospheric pressure is most typical. At sea level.

Arbitrary systems are arbitrary, they make no more sense than any other.

• 2 weeks later...

i messed up first time at 48, second time round i went 52 cos i actually checked my speedo lol.

i didn't get top marks on the emergency stop but apparently my figure of 8's rank at the top of all students they've seen which i was pretty happy with lol

Mine was 75kmh. I got moaned at, but no minor.

My mate has picked up a minor on the same bike for being to slow so recommended pegging it out of the turn, so I did.

Turns out my mate was just really nervous on the bike. He sold his SV after his first year.

That was all I done as well :) Although mine stayed to the side and presented his clipboard. I ended up going round twice because there was a car to close to me on the first go. Ironically that was the first time I had ever been on the bike on my own :lol: (I done the direct access course) -edit- I had to do it at 30MPH

Edited by smartroad