CBT - Experiences of other Members

Find all you need to know about learning to ride a motorbike including CBT, theory/hazard perception, tests and advanced training.
Cant find what you need? Ask away in this section!
mikestrivens
Bike(s): Triumph Tiger 800 XCx 2015
Has Liked: 342 times
Been Liked: 409 times

Re: CBT - Experiences of other Members

#346 Post by mikestrivens » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:35 pm

wonderful @elizabethf well done.
Regards
Mike Strivens

Bikes:
Triumph Tiger 800 XCx, 2015,
used to have Honda VFR800 & Harley Fatboy
Cars:
Mercedes SL500 R129 V8 (1999); Mercedes E320 W124 S6 (1995); Mercedes S600 W140 V12 (1995).

elizabethf
Bike(s): Honda CBR Repsol
Has Liked: 18 times
Been Liked: 62 times

#347 Post by elizabethf » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:51 am

mikestrivens wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:35 pm
wonderful @elizabethf well done.
Thank you! Looking at two more bikes first but found a nice little KTM Duke so far that suits my needs!

Muttly
Bike(s): Lexmoto Falcon 125 for now and a 1972 CD175 projec
Has Liked: 4 times
Been Liked: 9 times

#348 Post by Muttly » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:08 am

Hey groovy gang. Passed my CBT about three weeks ago. Global in Essex were the providers. They were ace. I was one of four, everyone but me had been on a bike, even the 16 year old lad which surprised me.
Struggled in the manouvers bit on the car park section but by the time we did U turns on the road I had made sense of the bike a bit more.
Loved it, next day went and bought a Lexmoto Falcon off them, done 320 miles and loving it. Going to do big bike test next year if I can afford it but probably keep the 125 going without plates once I pass.

narp
Has Liked: 28 times
Been Liked: 18 times

#349 Post by narp » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:20 pm

Hey All,

I know I've been below the radar on the forum for a while, but I'm still here - a change of job got in the way of things somewhat.

Still, I took and completed my CBT today with Dragon in Ellesmere Port, so here's a report.

Alan - owner and Matt (I think - I might have that wrong, as I was pleased enough to have remembered one name as it was) - CBT instructor.

Alan was there to meet and greet, but also called in later in the day to see how things were going, and ended up joining in some of the car park stuff.

I arrived stupidly early, and very self-consciously in my own boots, kevlar jeans, vented jacket and spanking new helmet (just gloves to go), but any item of ones own was duly appreciated and complemented, and I just had to choose the least smelly gloves from the racking to complete the ensemble.

I gave them a bit of a start initially, because I was wearing walking sandals and left the rest of the gear in the car to put on later.

The day was run with two candidates; both of us middle-ish-aged men, with experience off-road from childhood and on-road as teenagers, but pretty-much nothing for decades since. The plan was two-to-one with the instructor, but for half the day it was one-to-one, as Alan joined-in. I didn't ask directly (shy and retiring me), but I gather Matt was new to the company, and working towards full instructor qualification under Alan's tutelage, so it wasn't just us being watched and assessed.

To their credit, they took us through the required stages of CBT with the occasional apology for having to do so even though we were both experienced car drivers and had distant memories of riding bikes. I don't think either of us candidates minded the teaching-granny-to-suck-eggs thing at all - I'm certainly happy to go through the very basics and give the appearance of knowing it all already, whilst quietly and discretely absorbing the bits that came as a surprise!

Then out to the bikes in the car park. Honda CG's, in perfectly serviceable condition, and on with learning just how much I had taught myself incorrectly all those years ago. I had absolutely no method or routine to how I braked, slowed or came to a halt, and very little finesse in going slowly, 'Jesus - How fast do you walk!!!!?' was my reward for going as slowly as I thought I could in response to the request to go at walking speed :)

Anyway, lots of patient practice later.

I'm a whizz at emergency / controlled stops, in that my 'normal' stops rely far too much on the front brake, and involve too much fork-dive, but I was able to improve, and lots of repeats were completed to get my brain around it.

Then figure-eights and U-turns (simple enough, say I, at this stage).

Then back inside for lunch (and complementary cans of fizzy pop) and discussion around road positioning and use of junctions.

Out onto the road for real for two hours that felt like five minutes, and the shock of how much wind-pressure there is on your chest when you get to 40mph.

I'm going to stake my claim that I got fewer corrective comments than my partner in crime in the course of the ride, though I did get myself into a slightly complicated situation at a junction: the instruction on approach was 'follow the road straight ahead', but the the choice was of three lanes - the right hand one was right only; the centre was ahead only and the left was obscured by queuing cars, so I couldn't tell if it was left-only, or left and ahead. On a Mod2, I will try to think clearly enough to take the left and go with it, but I let my car-driver brain guide me, and went for the centre lane. Fine, but once on the other side of the junction it become a right-only lane into a car park, and now I need to be in the left lane and there are drivers with better local knowledge already there, having crossed the cross-roads in the left lane. :(

So lots of mirrors, and a shoulder-check, and over I go into a (BIG) big gap. I'm told I could/should have indicated left too, and I would probably agree as an observer, but in the moment, I did what I would have done in a car and if nothing else, showed myself there are lots of opportunities to learn here.

Day over, CBT completed, certificate issued.

I'll call Alan in the week to talk about DAS.

Slowlycatchymonkey
Bike(s): Hilts Mutt
Challenge Score: 70
Has Liked: 205 times
Been Liked: 210 times

#350 Post by Slowlycatchymonkey » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:13 pm

Sounds like a busy day. Amazing how much detail we remember and how tiring it is! Congrats.

mikestrivens
Bike(s): Triumph Tiger 800 XCx 2015
Has Liked: 342 times
Been Liked: 409 times

#351 Post by mikestrivens » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:08 am

Good write up @narp .
Regards
Mike Strivens

Bikes:
Triumph Tiger 800 XCx, 2015,
used to have Honda VFR800 & Harley Fatboy
Cars:
Mercedes SL500 R129 V8 (1999); Mercedes E320 W124 S6 (1995); Mercedes S600 W140 V12 (1995).