Failed MOD 2 Test for second time with no minors

Find all you need to know about learning to ride a motorbike including CBT, theory/hazard perception, tests and advanced training.
Cant find what you need? Ask away in this section!
TimR
Has Liked: 23 times
Been Liked: 356 times

Re: Failed MOD 2 Test for second time with no minors

#16 Post by TimR » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:10 am

LeePatton wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:27 am

As for the second test. The highway code states if there is no visabal speed signs to use the surrounding area and traffic to gauge the speed limit. Not been familiar with the area, being no visible speed signs, street lights plus me and the examiner being the only 2 vehicles on the road how else was i supposed to gauge the speed limit for that 20-30 second period?
can you highlight that section of highway code for me please ?
and the location of that road in question
The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
Robert Frost

mikestrivens
Bike(s): Triumph Tiger 800 XCx 2015
Has Liked: 455 times
Been Liked: 523 times

#17 Post by mikestrivens » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:24 am

I was chatting with a police motorcyclist about this when I did the BikeSafe course last month. He said that for the speed limit to be enforceable there has to be a speed limit sign on both sides of the road. If one sign is not there, for whatever reason - might have been knocked down etc, then the change of speed limit is not enforceable. This was confirmed by the IAM examiner I am working with on my Advanced Rider Course. But they can still do you for careless riding/driving if you are obviously unsafe.
Regards
Mike Strivens

Bikes:
Triumph Tiger 800 XCx, 2015,
used to have Honda VFR800 & Harley Fatboy
Cars:
Mercedes SL500 R129 V8 (1999); Mercedes E320 W124 S6 (1995); Mercedes S600 W140 V12 (1995).

Scholesfan
Been Liked: 2 times

#18 Post by Scholesfan » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:51 am

mikestrivens wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:24 am
I was chatting with a police motorcyclist about this when I did the BikeSafe course last month. He said that for the speed limit to be enforceable there has to be a speed limit sign on both sides of the road. If one sign is not there, for whatever reason - might have been knocked down etc, then the change of speed limit is not enforceable. This was confirmed by the IAM examiner I am working with on my Advanced Rider Course. But they can still do you for careless riding/driving if you are obviously unsafe.
This isn't true. There are cases where if the lower speed limit is a side road to a main road, then only 1 speed limit sign is needed on the left hand side of the side road.

I also wouldn't ignore speed limit changes while on a MOD 2 test if a sign was missing. There is a classic example of this on a St Helens test route near Millennium Motorcycles, where on the main road the speed limit changes from 30 to 20mph and the left hand sign has been removed. People get failed on that particular part of road very often for not obeying the change of speed.