Module 2 - members test experiences

Passed yesterday with no faults! :D (after multiple attempts,but that's a long tale of woe!)

The examiners at Gillingham are a really good bunch,full of encouragement and advice,even after my earlier poor attempts!

Anyway,got my first big bike in work(speed four),so first ride today to get home.Should be 'interesting',as route is A13/dartford bridge/M25/M20. :shock:

Fantastic - well done. Just take a safe and leisurely cruise home - great chance to get used to the bike.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back from my Mod 2 test, and I passed! (just)

Did my test at Erith which, according to legend (and my riding school), is the toughest in the country. Not sure how much of that is true but here’s my experience:

I did DAS with Phoenix Motorcycle Training in foots cray (south east London). I highly recommend them for anyone in the area. CBT was about two months or so ago, all good. Then had to wait a while for a theory appointment. Passed theory and hazard perception no problems, thanks to the Theory Test iPhone app and the hazard perception dvd rom from DVSA. The app is about £3 I think and the DVD rom was about £12 and it is well worth it. Without he dvd rom I would have failed the hazard perception. Having gone through all he practice scenarios and leaned when to click on the dvd I was able to get a high score on the day.

Mod 1 was about 3 weeks ago, again all fine. One minor for “taking the figure of 8 a bit wide” according to the examiner. I disagree but who cares!

Then, full day mod 2 training yesterday with Phoenix and down to Erith this morning for the test.

I was feeling confident about my riding but anxious about the test, as it’s a pain to reschedule, defer my bike and pay the fee again, not to mention the missus might change her mind and declare it a bad idea. I need to pass and get a bike before she changes her mind!

Set off from test centre, all ok, left at roundabout (is this a 20 or a 30? The paranoia of missing speed signs stuck with me he whole test).

Through the test I kept thinking “if this is a 20 I’m screwed” but tried to put it out of my mind. Also, I stalled twice which rattled me a bit. On the angled start he made me stop on a hill so it was an angled hill start. Eek!

Being nervous I pulled up, put bike in neutral and waited for instructions. When he told me to go, I stamped it into first and the bike lurched - sh**, my clutch! Composed myself, restarted bike and pulled away nicely. Put it out of my head and rode on. Later, at another junction, stalled again. Bugger. Focus, restart quickly and pull away smoothly with high revs.

Later, joined a 50 dual carriage way. Lorry in front doing 40. Do I pass or is 40 ok? After a bit I passed the lorry. He later told me hat nearly failed me for holding back.

Off the dual carriage way and picked up speed only to realise the roadworks meant it was 20. Dropped speed down to 20 even though I saw no sign. He later told me that it is only 20 the other way and that was a minor.

Now for the independent ride. Follow the signs to Abbeywood. Ok, no problem. Then I approached a roundabout with no advance sign for Abbeywood, and I don’t know the area. I stayed in the left lane then realised the left and straightforward were not the way. Remembering my lessons I decided to “go the wrong way correctly” and went straight ahead. Voice in my eAr says “this is not the way to Abbeywood! Double back at next roundabout and follow the signs!” I did so, and made sure I was riding correctly.

Eventually back at the test centre he makes me wait. The other guy from he riding school had passed which made me even more nervous. Then he calls me in and tells me, “ok so you passed, but only just!”

9 minors!

I put them down to nerves mainly as I was riding fine yesterday and this morning but his feedback was very fair and I can’t argue with the minors.

Totally chuffed about the pass, thanks to everyone on here for the stories and experiences I have read which helped me learn and prepare.

Currently treating myself to a Nando’s lunch before heading to Croydon Ducati and Croydon Triumph!

Woo hoo!!

Congratulations!

I too got a minor on Mod1 for going into too much space on the figure eight (though he said the 'slalom' I'm sure he meant the figure eight) - it's the new fashionable thing to do.

I then drove as badly and as self-consciously as I ever have on the Mod2; stalled it, got told to get on with it on the pulling away from behind a parked car, bobbled my way around a sweeping bend as if it was 3 smaller radius bends, and picked up six minors.

But I got that pass - just like you did, and just like you I have an awareness of the issues with my ride and no arguments with the decisions, so well done and carry on learning. :thumb:

Edited by narp

... not to mention the missus might change her mind and declare it a bad idea. I need to pass and get a bike before she changes her mind!

I'm familiar with this bit, too - Mrs Narp was resigned to the re-emergence of a bike in my life (luckily we've been together so long I was still on my MT-5 when we met, so I had established form) - but I don't think she was ready for the difference between the MT-5 in her memory mind's eye and the FJ1200 that landed in the garage - I think it's the extra two zeros in the name, you know?

I came back from a few rides still alive and with a big stupid grin on my face and it's all good now :thumb:

I stayed in the left lane then realised the left and straightforward were not the way. Remembering my lessons I decided to “go the wrong way correctly” and went straight ahead.

Top stuff! There's so many stories of people panicking and crossing lanes which is an instant fail but so easy to forget you are allowed to "go the wrong way"

:cheers:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi all.

Finally passed my mod1 after the third attempt and in the process of booking mod2. Not sure whether to leave it till after winter and lessen the chances of the test being cancelled and losing my tuition fees. Having said that I don’t want to leave it too long and lose the experience I’m gaining. Catch 22. Timing was never my strong point.

Anyways I have a question. Having been a driver, car and hgv for 30+ years (never ridden a bike in my life,hence the 2 mod1 fails) whilst on the lessons and rides to and from the test centre I’ve noticed I’m going up through the gears fairly quickly from a standing start regardless of the speed limit for that road. I can be up to 5th in a 30 zone well before reaching 30. It’s just something I’ve had engrained into me through various training courses for my job to save fuel and such and it’s obviously passed over to my car driving as well. Should this be something I should be concerned with on my actual test? IE would this gain me any brownie points or would the examiner even notice? The reason I ask is because I find myself traveling short distances from a standing start only to approach a stop and having to drop 3 or 4 gears which just adds more problems that I could do without when under test conditions. I know it probably sounds silly and sorry for the long explanation but I need all the help I can get.

Thank you.

[mention]Joebaxi[/mention]

As long as you can use the gears I doubt they will care less. It's mostly aimed at assessing your safety and others, control comes into it but if it's not affecting your stability or safety it shouldn't be a problem, have a word with your instructor he will have a better idea, if it were a problem he should have spotted it.

All that said being in 5th or 6th isn't ideal for response if your in a 30limit, don't worry about the revs, stop thinking about being an hgv and changing at 1600 rpm lol.

I would do the mod 2 now.

Edited by Bender

Hi all.

Finally passed my mod1 after the third attempt and in the process of booking mod2. Not sure whether to leave it till after winter and lessen the chances of the test being cancelled and losing my tuition fees. Having said that I don’t want to leave it too long and lose the experience I’m gaining. Catch 22. Timing was never my strong point.

Anyways I have a question. Having been a driver, car and hgv for 30+ years (never ridden a bike in my life,hence the 2 mod1 fails) whilst on the lessons and rides to and from the test centre I’ve noticed I’m going up through the gears fairly quickly from a standing start regardless of the speed limit for that road. I can be up to 5th in a 30 zone well before reaching 30. It’s just something I’ve had engrained into me through various training courses for my job to save fuel and such and it’s obviously passed over to my car driving as well. Should this be something I should be concerned with on my actual test? IE would this gain me any brownie points or would the examiner even notice? The reason I ask is because I find myself traveling short distances from a standing start only to approach a stop and having to drop 3 or 4 gears which just adds more problems that I could do without when under test conditions. I know it probably sounds silly and sorry for the long explanation but I need all the help I can get.

Thank you.

In my experience weather in February can be worse than December and parts of January, which can be milder. May vary based on your location of course, this is the south west. I'd book it all in now.

I got very pleasant and useful 'words of advice' on going up through the gears too quickly on my mod 2, his observation was I could have stayed in each gear longer and use the acceleration of the bike to move away from hazards. It was nowhere near a fail because as [mention]Bender[/mention] intimates clearly I knew how to use them, it was just his feedback to help me be a better rider.

He also told me not to pull the clutch in all the way on gear changes, which was also a great learning point.

• 2 weeks later...

Only gone n bloody passed mod 2 on first attempt this morning lol.

Came down with flu yesterday,so took myself to bed about 7 and hoped and prayed the extra rest might help but woke up feeling even worse.

Dragged myself to training school at 8 this morning after calling at the shop for some meds. Threw 5 ibruprofen down my throat. My instructor said I looked like death and should cancel. But when she said I’d be liable for tuition fees as well as test fee which was £160 in total I said no way.

So off we head to the test centre in Wakefield which in reality is a 40 minute ride but she takes us all over the gaff to get there to get some extra riding in. Thankfully there was a stop to fuel the bikes. I had to go sit on the wall while she did that, I didn’t even have the energy to stand. On top of the aching from the flu my fingers felt like they were about to drop off and I could hardly feel my legs.

We arrived at the test centre about 10 and she went through the show me tell me stuff. By this point I’d lost all interest and couldn’t concentrate. She was asking me stuff and I was just looking at her in a daze while the other lad who was with us answered everything.

Then it was into the nice warm test centre where I slumped into the chair near the radiator. The other lad was up first so I had a half hour wait. As soon as he set off my instructor said right cmon we’ll go hit a few local roads. I nearly told her to f*** off. I just wanted to sit in that chair forever. But off we went. I can’t remember much about the ride to the test centre because we were following her but in this short 20 minute ride while she was behind me she was having to tell me to cancel indicator on every turn and to stop trailing the rear brake. I’d lost all hope at this point.

So back at test centre I got another 5 minutes in the warm chair and then the examiner comes out. The same guy I’d had for all 3 of my mod 1s. Had a right kerfuffle switching the radio gear over to his. He had to tell me there was no rush, he could see how frustrated I was getting. Then onto the show me tell me where he had to subtly remind me to add that the bike had to be upright when checking the brake fluid level. Can’t think of an instance where anyone would be checking it when the bike wasn’t upright but hey ho.

Then onto the test ride. I’d given up hope on passing so the nerves were non existent. His instructions were Chrystal clear but I was a bit disconcerted when every time we had to pull up at a junction to turn left or right he would pull up right on my shoulder. I got it into my head that I was riding so poorly that he was concerned for my safety and was protecting me from other traffic.

Then after a few pullovers and setting off it was the independent ride. This was easier than I thought because he would say follow the signs for Dewsbury which was left at the next roundabout, then he’d say now pickup the signs for Wakefield centre which was left at next lights. So it was much the same as rest of the test except instead of him saying left or right I just had to glance at the signs. I had a couple of moments, one where I drifted close to the centre line on a sweeping left hander and one on a duel carriageway which was a 40 and I got behind a lorry doing 34 but I knew there were some lights coming up and didn’t want to go for the pass in case it mucked up his route or anything. Then when I saw the test centre looming I knew I only had one more roundabout to negotiate and lo and behold I somehow knocked the bike into neutral instead of second and the bike started to die while I was mustering up the little concentration I had left to get it back into second. I’d totally forgotten where the clutch was and whether to kick the shifter up or down but I’d vertually come to a stop before I finally found second then the bike nearly stalled when I set off again because of the low revs.

So back into the test centre and the eternity of waiting for him to fill out his form before delivering his verdict.

Then he looked up and asked me how I thought the test had gone. At that point I sort of knew I’d passed because he did that exact same thing on my third mod 1 when I’d passed that. He just told me straight that I’d failed on the previous attempts. Anyway I forced myself not to take that for granted and told him everywhere that I thought I’d mucked up then he gave me the good news. At that point all my flew symptoms magically disappeared.

I got 4 minors, drifting towards the centre line on that left hand bend, missed a shoulder check when pulling out of a junction, road positioning at a junction and that last roundabout with the gear catastrophe which he added would have been a major had there been any other traffic.

I’m back in bed now because the rush of adrenaline has worn off lol.

CONGRATULATIONS Sounds like a tough day but I can’t imagine anything better to comfort you through the flu!

ps do not take 5 ibuprofen, it makes little difference to the efficacy but will give your liver a beating and you’re going to need that organ in tip top condition to celebrate when you’re better!

CONGRATULATIONS Sounds like a tough day but I can’t imagine anything better to comfort you through the flu!

ps do not take 5 ibuprofen, it makes little difference to the efficacy but will give your liver a beating and you’re going to need that organ in tip top condition to celebrate when you’re better!

Rofl. And I intend to do just that on the works Christmas do on Sunday

• 1 month later...

I remember finding mod2 pleasant. The examiner rode what looked like a police bike which made me feel quite safe and exicted lol. Wasnt really nervous.

I remember one part though where we hit some traffic and i refused to put my feet down just to showcase the level of control I had, must of played out well since overall only had 3 minors. All for either being too cautious or going too slow lol. I tend to take it easy.

I also found the Mod 2 pleasant. It felt like just going out for a waft around town for half an hour. Having been a car driver for a long time I'm very comfortable with general road features, roundabouts, junctions, lights, signs, etc, so for me it was more about the physicality of driving the bike than anything else. I expect for a new rider who does not have the car experience then it's a much more intense experience as you're new to riding a bike as well as being new to to driving on the road.

Thankfully I passed mine first time with just 1 minor under 'steering' for slightly swan-necking a right turn into a junction because I overshot the ideal turning point a little. My examiner even commented afterwards that I was "a good wee driver" which just made my day :)