Hi Guys,

Just requesting some advice as im in abit of the shit street at the moment .

My motorbike was stolen on Monday, i have put a claim in with my insurance company and they are asking for a copy of my CBT certificate. It has been expired over a year .

Does this mean i will not be able to claim at all and does anyone have any tips?

Kind Regards,

Jordan.

oh dear... Well your insurance is void as you were riding illegally and you could be subjected to fines and points. So no pay out.

I suggest sucking this one up hoping you don't get into more trouble and retaking your CBT before you get another bike.

I have just spoke to my insurance company and explained that my CBT has expired and i wasn't aware.

He said that i need to get it done ASAP and give them a call back to sort it out but im unsure how this is going to turn out.

I'm with [mention]Hoggs[/mention]

A condition of your insurance would be keeping your vehicle in road worthy and legal condition (tax, MOT etc) and you need to notify them of any personal changes. Lacking a CBT is quite material.

I can only be blunt here, your bike is not insured.

Hello and welcome [mention]jordanr22[/mention] . I'd get the CBT certificate ASAP and then speak to the insurance company. They may take pity on you and give you some payout but don't bank on it. As others have said you are not insured to ride the bike but the insurance company are unlikely to tell the police and in any case the police will only do something if they catch you riding it. As you are not going to ride it until you have your new CBT they have no reason to get involved, unless they also ask to see your CBT as part of dealing with the theft, pretty unlikely as you obviously weren't riding it when it was stolen. Ownership of bike without a CBT certificate is perfectly OK and is clearly different to riding it without CBT. Good luck with this.

Presumably if you hadn't been riding it over the past year and it was stolen from your home where it was kept for safekeeping you'd be okay.

From my insurance docs under general exceptions:

This policy does not cover the following:

Any injury, loss or damage occurring while your motorcycle is being: ridden or in the charge of anyone who does not have a valid driving licence or Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) certificate where required by current legislation, is disqualified from driving, has not held a driving licence, is prevented by law from holding one and who does not meet the terms and conditions of their driving licence/CBT certificate as required by DVLA/DVANI rules and regulations and any relevant law.

Not being ridden but the policy holder is very much in charge of (ie responsible for) the vehicle IMO

Im working on the assumption it was at home?

Need more info OP ;)

I would probably suggest that OP would be very unwise to disclose on a public forum information that would be potentially incriminating, if you catch my drift.

Sorry to read your plight but how could you forget your cbt was out by a year, a day or 2 or maybe aweek but a year.

I know my thoughts on that, and what I believe happened here.

The OP may say different but it will take a bit of persuasion to change my view.

Just to put a slightly different outlook on it but if the bike was stolen from the home address then would it matter? It's not the same as an accident on the road.

Letting the CBT lapse by over a year is terrible though.

Just to put a slightly different outlook on it but if the bike was stolen from the home address then would it matter? It's not the same as an accident on the road.

Letting the CBT lapse by over a year is terrible though.

Well, I posted some wording from my insurance policy here, but even more crucial is probably (all emphasis mine):

Keeping your policy up to date

The terms of your policy and premium are based on the information you have given us. If any of this changes you should tell us by calling our customer service department. Below are some examples of what you should tell us. Please note these lists are not exhaustive and you should contact us if you are unsure about whether you need to inform us of a change. Any changes to your policy will be subject to your insurer’s agreement and may not be acceptable, therefore please contact us for guidance on changes you wish to make. If a change to your policy is acceptable it may result in revised terms and/or a change in the premium. Any changes to your policy will also be subjected to our administration fee, please see page 11 for details.

Please tell us immediately if:

• You or any insured riders are involved in an accident, no matter how trivial and regardless of blame; or

• You change your address or you or any insured riders change occupations; or

Your or any insured rider’s driving licence is revoked either temporarily or permanently, or the status of the driving licence has changed, e.g. if you or any insured rider has passed their driving test.

I know my car insurance has similar, I think you'd be hard pressed to find an insurer that wouldn't.

Of course, I just thought, the insurance was void from the start. Jordan said the CBT expired over a year ago.

I'm assuming Jordan that when you took out the insurance you stated that you had a valid CBT certificate?

I could end up being wrong, but I think you'll end up having the insurance voided and cancelled, and you'll have to declare that whenever you get an insurance quote from now on (don't lie about it, they do searches for that sort of thing once you've paid your premium)