Mod 1 failed twice hazard avoidance

Failed my mod 1 twice , no minors and then right at the end kicked the cone. Managed to clear it fine last two practice lessons, feeling embarrassed, anxious and nervous for the next one in two weeks . Any advice or stories from others who have passed would be very helpful ..... wondering if I ll ever beat this cone 🙈

Failed my mod 1 twice , no minors and then right at the end kicked the cone. Managed to clear it fine last two practice lessons, feeling embarrassed, anxious and nervous for the next one in two weeks . Any advice or stories from others who have passed would be very helpful ..... wondering if I ll ever beat this cone 🙈

Worry not, I failed mine twice, then passed both mods with no faults, it's a shit test, just breath and relax(easier to say than do)

Thank you this is meant to

Be an enjoyable experience but I just cant avoid the damn come on the day

I hope I get to feel your relief too 😂

Mod 1 isn't an enjoyable experience. Mod 2, more so. Once you pass? Oh yes.

strange, as for me it was totally the opposite I really enjoyed the Mod1 experience, but the Mod 2 was so stressful.

My advice is not to panic.. you know you can handle the other exercises as you proved this,

Are you riding a 125 on CBT currently?, (sorry haven't read your profile), if so then go up and down roads avoiding stuff at last minute, I don't mean cars :roll: , i mean man hole covers or painted lines etc as if you were avoiding them.

I had a country road on my commute so i used to ride up to 3 separate drain covers at 35-40mph and swing round them at the last minute. I learnt to move the bike with my hips and found this to be so helpful in the avoidance test.

Rock the bike from side to side as well when riding, like you see the gimp suit riders (no offence intended :angel12: ) doing on a Sunday morning.

My advice for doing the emergency stop and hazard avoidance is really go for it and don't look at the cones! The less you think about it the easier it will be as you will just do it without consciously trying to do it. It's the thinking that causes 90% of the issues with Mod 1. Its also an unnatural environment and it feels a bit like you are being made to 'perform', once you get it out the way Mod 2 is just a ride out with someone following you. :thumb:

Guest Richzx6r

You shouldn't feel embarrassed or anything, the speed isn't too high 32mph? And as said during this part sit on the balls of your feet to allow you and the bike to move more freely and it will feel more flickable once we had ours, our instructor let me and the other lad do more riding and we had a competition to see who could do it at the fastest speed I believe it was around 50mph and no cones died and still stopped in the marked area so just trust in the bike and you will be fine

There's 2 techniques that I know can work well for this. Both are just different approaches to getting it to counter steer quickly.

The first is what I was taught by my instructor and that's to simply throw the bar's to the side aggressively. If you need to swerve to the left, throw the bike, your hands, your body, everything to the left hard and fast. Don't hold anything back and I find shouting your favourite expletive at the same time helps. This is a good one for new riders who tense up (I was super tense throughout my practice and tests, even after passing it took me months to relax on the bike). If you try and counter steer when tense you can end up fighting yourself, so by just throwing the bike to the side you're using your rigid body position to help rather than hinder.

The second is to just push forward quite hard on the bar in the direction you want to go (woo counter steering works). Need to go left, push left (and pull right if you want to really make sure). This is the relaxed, "I can do this easy" approach. You'll soar through with a swan-like elegance. Since passing my test and finally starting to relax on my own bike I've started practising this method in car parks. It's effortless and will get you around the cone with loads too spare. But you have to be relaxed; a rigid body position will just have you fighting yourself.

Everyone's different though, that's just what worked for me. Whilst playing around on my bike, i've also found adopting a sporty body position can help if you're a bit tense. Absolutely a bad idea for low speed stuff, you'll be unstable as hell, but for the swerve it puts the rigid body to good use focusing most of your upper body weight through your one arm when you start to lean it over which speeds up your counter steering; something which doesn't happen so naturally in a more upright touring position.

Good luck on your next try :D

Mod 1 isn't an enjoyable experience. Mod 2, more so. Once you pass? Oh yes.

Both my MODs are misery inducing. I was bored senseless riding round....and round....and round all the local test routes (i guess because i had a 125 so was already riding a lot in my own time, and i understood road signs etc so in comparison to others i was with it felt like a waste of 4-5 hours)

The highlight after passing would be when my instructor let us go home a really random long way round at the end of the day as it meant we just got to ride for ourselves and enjoy!

Anyway I digress. You got this! Is it the actual cones your are swerving you knock, or the ones you have to come to a stop between? If the latter it simply sounds like bad luck and wasnt meant to be this time. If the former, keep practising, but particularly try snd get those nerves under control as it sounds like maybe that is causing the error?

Hi everyone

Thank you all so much for your advice,

Some very valuable and funny answers 😂

I have a 125 bullit but I’m taking my test on a 600, do you think going out on this as one advises and swerving round things in safe zones would help? Just wondering with bike handling differently. I think it is nerves and apprehension , I have came into this game mod forties which I had done this years ago in my twenties 😂

Thanks Bender I do hope so, it’s good to know others have been in the same situation. What bike do you have now ? I just want something with a bit of oomph to hit the UK scenery... fingers and toes crossed for the next one

Hi everyone

Thank you all so much for your advice,

Some very valuable and funny answers 😂

I have a 125 bullit but I’m taking my test on a 600, do you think going out on this as one advises and swerving round things in safe zones would help? Just wondering with bike handling differently. I think it is nerves and apprehension , I have came into this game mod forties which I had done this years ago in my twenties 😂

Yes, it was me that recommended you to go out and practice, and I can say 100% it does help, I rode a 125 for 3 months before taking my Mod 1, and I did my Mod 1 on a Z650. The handling skills from the 125 (for me) were 100% transferrable.. so yes, all practice is good practice. To be fair the Z650 and my 125 didn't actually feel that much different, a little bit heavier and faster, but it is easier to ride, so if you can master the techniques on a 125, then on a 650 is a doddle!

all to add, I am 42 so I have also come into late!

Thanks Bender I do hope so, it’s good to know others have been in the same situation. What bike do you have now ? I just want something with a bit of oomph to hit the UK scenery... fingers and toes crossed for the next one

I bought a 125 just to practice u turns 😁

Had great fun on it though and all helped with tests, I moved onto a fz6 after 125, it's great at filtering and around town and gets lively at the top end when you want.

Edited by Bender

Strangely enough my practice run wasn’t great before hand either we must have got it out or system 🙈

Round 2 hopefully before the end of July going to have a couple of lessons to get familiar with the route, maybe some early morning rides on my 125 needed.