Post CBT...

Hi everyone,

Cant see this has been answered elsewhere if it has then my apologies.

Looking at doing my CBT soon & just wondered what the general consensus is with regards to which type of bike you ride once the CBT process is out of the way.

Do people generally go out & buy a 125 and use that for a while to gain experience & build up their confidence in prep for the next step? Or if like me you have an aim of getting at least A2 licence would you just crack on with it straight away?

I guess it depends on how quickly you pick up the basics & how confident you feel. I've ridden on roads lots on a bicycle & been driving for over 20 years so would like to think my existing knowledge will help on that side of things.

Any advice feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

DAS.. including CBT and if you have been driving for 20 years that either means you began at age 3 or are over 24 and can go for the full A license.

plenty of people have gone from zero experience to a full license in just a month or so.

of course it all comes down to money and how much you can afford and how determined you are.

I personally think everyone should have the experience of riding a 125, you learn a lot on a cbt and the immediate riding afterwards. Riding a 125 teaches you how to ride in a way which doesn’t necessarily rely on power to get you out of trouble.

I did CBT and figured I'd ride a 125 for a year and then do DAS - I lasted 3 months before I was sick of it! I'd also been driving 20 years and I could ride a geared bike as I had a crosser as a teenager, I was genuinely shocked at how little the CBT actually teaches you, it really isn't fit for purpose. If you intend to get a full license anyway then I'd say crack on with it, you will only waste time and money on a 125 and the experience you will gain is nothing that can't be gained on a bigger bike.

I spent 15 months and 5500 miles on my 125 and I am doing my DAS now. I don’t regret my time on a 125. I still enjoy it. I stayed away from DAS because I couldn’t afford to do more than I was doing.

If I had my time again I would have bought a Japanese 125 in stead of a Chinese just because of the loss of value.

[mention]James in Brum[/mention]

I had ridden previously but finally thought it’s time to get on with it. Did my CBT, jumped straight into DAS and my tests would’ve been today and tomorrow if some thieving scumbag didn’t steal my wallet with my driving licence :x

I’ve moved my tests for two weeks time but I guess it’s all about how comfortable you are. I couldn’t see myself sat on a 125cc gaining experience, but that’s me. Do what you think is best. If you’re ready for a bigger bike, go straight through and get a bigger bike. If you’re not ready, then kick back on a 125 Until the day comes. Good luck pal.

There's no right or wrong answer but there really is no need for you to do A2. Either do the CBT and stop there and ride a 125 or do the A license and then ride whatever you want to.

You are in a very similar position as I was when I started with this biking lark. If you fancy a bit of a read this thread covers my experience from CBT to one year on from passing my DAS. https://www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=63968&p=997081#p997081