Hazard perception theory test

Hello everyone-I’ve just subscribed to the online theory test tutorial by the DVSA.

The hazard perception videos that you have to click on/flag up form a big part of the test and in the online practice tutorial they give you a hundred of these video clips to practice and get scored on.

Question-Has anyone practiced these online hazard perception videos and if so do any or an amount of these videos appear in the actual test or do you get a completely new set for the test-ie am I practicing on what will be the actual videos that will be used in the test?.

I actually think they’re quite tricky and would be difficult for anyone to be confronted with them in the test without ever having seen them before. I know they’re supposed to represent real life road situations but to get through them seems more like a passing an exam peculiarity.

Cheers for any insight here.

Done my test a couple of weeks before Christmas all the questions and the hazard perception are the same as the real test but their are hundreds of them so they don't all appear and are changed about for every test so if you do fail the questions on your next test will most likely be different but I'm sure you will pass

Thanks for your encouragement!. All the multiple choice stuff is fine it’s just the hazard perception videos that seem tricky but I reckon I’ll get the hang of them. It just feels odd that having been on 4 wheels for many years, all the on-road hazards you deal with is second nature but then spotting them on screen in a test situation seems a different ballgame.

Relax, you can tell what's comming up by the surrounding in the vid, built up area car pulling out or pedestrian hazard car door opening etc, on a motorway expect some thing to join or leave or change lane unexpectedly, pen Road with trees blowing wind hazard, country lane expect a hazard round a bend or side road tractor horses etc.

Stay calm and look at what's going on, you will be fine.

I wonder how many of us who have been riding for longer than we care to remember would fare if we had to take the current practical and theory tests ? I really have no idea whether I would pass or not .

Edited by fastbob

@fastbob

Problem with lots of road time is not missing them, it's spotting it too early lol, I'm sure you would be fine.

You don't get any extra points for using the Force I suppose .

I found I was clicking too early on some hazards. What you can do, whilst you can't just click click all the time, but what you can do is see a hazard, click as soon as you see a movement say, then click again a second later and again a second later too if the hazard is developing. It uses your best click so this works in your favour. Use the practice clips to get a feel for how often and how quickly you can click.

Also second what bender says, you can use a little sixth sense. So I think one is a cyclist. As soon as he appears he isn't a hazard (but you can click anyway it won't count against you) but your sixth sense should tell you it's likely that he will feature. Eyes scan ahead if you see a parked car on your side or maybe a right turn then possibly he's going to pull out.

I had the same experience as Beans. Halfway through the actual exam I remembered that people who have been driving for a fair while spot hazards better, so did as Beans said and clicked first when I saw it, then a second or two later - ended up just scraping through with something like 5 max scores, 4 zeroes (including the double-hazard, and I know I saw the hazards on that because I remember thinking "well that is the double-hazard done, and it was easy" :)), and a couple of 4s.

I even practiced with the £2.99 iphone app, but I just had it propped up while I was eating lunch - I think that added enough of a delay, whereas in the exam room I was hunched there waiting like it was high noon.

Thanks for the good pointers everyone. It does seem if you’ve been driving for years all the hazard awareness formulas seem to be embedded so if you’ve got a relatively accident free driving history you must be getting it right.

However, getting through the on-screen exam is a slightly different ball game but it does get you to think about or bring out any inner knowledge. Probably more helpful really to a completely new road user, although I think there’s a couple of video clips that are a tad ambiguous. The key thing and max point scoring is to flag up the developing hazards as soon as you spot them although there’s actually potential hazards all over the videos that don’t earn any points as they’re just ‘static’ and not a ‘developing’ hazard.

• 1 month later...

Bit late I know but here's my experience. I passed mine on Wednesday. I was a bit shocked when I went online for the first time to practice and failed really badly ( been driving car for 30 years). But after watching them back I understood better. I would say download one of the apps available and practice it's well worth it. The one I used had about 80 clips. Saying that none of the clips came up in my actual test but the practice was well worth it. As said before when sure click then click another 2 times about a second apart that way you should cover the scoring . Saying that don't click too much or you will be scored zero.

On a side note they gave me my result on a folded up bit of paper I waited until I left the waiting room to read it ...and when it did I wasn't looking and fell down the stairs and the test center 😂