Are CBTs still running?

No all cancelled, but there have been suggestions to allow car drivers full A1 category licence which would make sense now :thumb:

I don't really think the CBT is adequate for what it allows you to do so putting someone on a bike without this doesn't make sense to me

No all cancelled, but there have been suggestions to allow car drivers full A1 category licence which would make sense now :thumb:

I don't really think the CBT is adequate for what it allows you to do so putting someone on a bike without this doesn't make sense to me

Yet they can go and ride a 50cc without displaying L plates and carry a pillion, allowing A1 would be safer :thumb:

I’m with @FallingDown

I did alright on my 125 after my CBT but I was not good at the start.

That is the idea, you get basic training, then you learn as you ride :thumb:

Yet they can go and ride a 50cc without displaying L plates and carry a pillion, allowing A1 would be safer :thumb:

I disagree. 50cc is closer to a mountain bike than it is a 125cc. And if you carry a pillion the main risk will be getting hit up the arse by a milk float

I disagree. 50cc is closer to a mountain bike than it is a 125cc. And if you carry a pillion the main risk will be getting hit up the arse by a milk float
I don't know about that but back in the day a Yamaha FS1E could hit 30MPH. We weren't wealthy enough to have one. One reason why my riding carrier started only recently.

What happens if their CBT is about to run out within the next few months? Are they extended like MOT?

Feel bad for anyone who's in that boat. :(

Mine runs out in april. Did 2 weeks ago to get it done early. Luckily I did, otherwise my bike would be parked up for the foreseeable future

What happens if their CBT is about to run out within the next few months? Are they extended like MOT?

Feel bad for anyone who's in that boat. :(

Mine runs out in april. Did 2 weeks ago to get it done early. Luckily I did, otherwise my bike would be parked up for the foreseeable future

Belated congrats [mention]daveinlim[/mention] :thumb:

Riding school near me is still doing CBTs, but only if you can prove you are a key worker.

Lol, surely to qualify to be a key worker you would have to be working during this crisis :|

Correct, but how do you legally travel to your key worker job on a 125 if you don't have a CBT/your CBT has expired?

Riding school near me is still doing CBTs, but only if you can prove you are a key worker.

Lol, surely to qualify to be a key worker you would have to be working during this crisis :|

Correct, but how do you legally travel to your key worker job on a 125 if you don't have a CBT/your CBT has expired?

I stand corrected, mind blanked that some folk may be in the position that their CBT would run out during this period too.

No such thing as a CBT in my day, just got the bike and started riding. The roads were a lot quieter in those days, so we got away with it, of course, the roads are very quiet at the moment so allowing someone to ride without a CBT, especially if they has one and it has run out, may be a good idea.

I remember in the 1950's (yes I am that old) we moved to England from France, My dad was French, at that time he could not transfer a French license to an English one, but because of the Suez crisis, learners were allowed to drive on L plates without supervision. Dad took the english driving test and failed for not giving due courtesy and consideration to other road users, well he had been driving in Paris for 20 years, what did they expect? :lol: :lol:

Found this on the Autotrader Website that might be of some use

As it stands all CBT courses are postponed until further notice. Those who have tests cancelled are set to have priority when testing resumes. We’ll keep this article updated, including when CBT dates are announced.

James Beddows the Managing Director of RideTo the UK's #1 Motorcycle Training Platform says:

"All of our Compulsory Basic Training bookings are currently postponed until further notice. Some courses are running for critical workers only but this is on a case by case basis decided on by the instructor. We’re pending further official guidance from the DVSA on whether CBT certificates will be extended as they have been for MOTs but this is still unknown. We have already taken major steps to ensure customer hygiene and safety is our top priority.

Link to full article: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/bikes/content/coronavirus-advice-for-bike-riders

• 2 weeks later...

My CBT runs out end of August. Not worrying about it right now however waiting to see what happens between now and then. The way things are, Aug is a long way off so pointless worrying.

I have been designated a "key worker" and rely on the bike to get to/from work, so am keeping a close eye on this to see what happens. Common-sense approach to me would entail 1) allowing an extension on CBTs that expire whilst lockdown is in force, like what has happened with MOTs, or 2) allowing CBTs to go ahead as long as social distancing/strict hygiene protocols are adhered to. Common-sense however isn't very common right now.

We shall see...

My CBT runs out end of August. Not worrying about it right now however waiting to see what happens between now and then. The way things are, Aug is a long way off so pointless worrying.

I have been designated a "key worker" and rely on the bike to get to/from work, so am keeping a close eye on this to see what happens. Common-sense approach to me would entail 1) allowing an extension on CBTs that expire whilst lockdown is in force, like what has happened with MOTs, or 2) allowing CBTs to go ahead as long as social distancing/strict hygiene protocols are adhered to. Common-sense however isn't very common right now.

We shall see...

Got my fingers crossed for you and wishing you all the best in your tests if you plan/able to take them before your CBT expires. :thumb:

Not planning on doing any tests in all honesty. Was just going to re-sit my CBT. Quite happy with the 125 for the moment.

A while away yet so not concerned, however if this stuff rumbles on past June I'll phone the local centres to see if any will do my CBT. There's 2 in my local area that I'm aware of plus another that's about 25-30 miles away.

Hope you're all staying safe and keeping well. Here's hoping we'll all get thru this and we will be able to lead some sort of life soon.