Date for Mod 1 and that shoulder check hint

And no, I'm not telling you when it is! It's closer than I'd like (I'd be happy if it was within the next 18 months so I wouldn't have to do yet another CBT) but far enough away that my instructor thinks I will have at least a chance of passing.

Sadly he is so booked up that there is no time for more than two more lessons beforehand. This does not mean two lessons soon.

But the things I struggle with I can practice alone anyway, when I get my bike back.

My big problem with the final shoulder check is that it unbalances me. And it has to be done so soon after moving off, because there is so little space before you have to start your turn. I tend to do it in a hurry and therefore not make it obvious enough to the examiner. And apparently it's not good enough to just keep looking continuously from the first stationary check, you have to look again after your forward look.

Somebody suggested that I count instead. You know how soldiers count when they're learning drill (I speak from experience)? So that they don't have to decide when to do something, but just do it when the number says so.

I found that this helped. The number that works for me is to do the check on 4, then count another 2 and then start the turn. This does two things. It removes the need to decide when, so I can do it consistently because number 4 tells me when. It also gives me something to focus on, since I cannot count and think simultaneously (ask my maths teachers). And that in turn reduces the anxiety and therefore the tension. Come to think of it, it's not a million miles from the relaxation exercises I teach my patients.

The thing to do now is get it right first time every time, and THAT is the really big problem. You only get one chance in the test.

Is it the side check prior to the U turn you struggle with? I had this problem during my training.

My instructor told me to do the following which sorted the problem.

Keep back upright and try not to slouch during the maneuvers.

Shoulder check

Move off at a slow controlled pace

Right shoulder check and then look forward again to regain balance

Look right in the direction you want to go and complete the U turn.

The key part for me was looking forward to regain balance. I was initially rushing the shift check and turn and not giving myself time to gain balance after the shoulder check.

Hope this helps and good luck.

I agree the shoulder check should be before you move off

Move off .

Position yourself

Quick lifesaver

Perform u turn looking where you want to go .

Slow and steady

Remember with lifesavers its always worded as

" Consider a lifesaver"

If things in front of you are more of a hazard concentrate on that not what's behind you .

I know this is test but if you can give a good valid reason for not performing a lifesaver at a certain time it should not be held against you .

I had exactly the same problem, I came up with pretty much what you are doing now.

Focus on a point directly ahead while pulling away, foot up and onto the rest smooth and quick, get stable, i did my quick check on count of 2 try do it relaxed and smooth, don't turn too far or you will pull on your shoulders and the bike will follow which you will try to correct when you look straight ahead again and that's the start of a wobble, look back to your focus point, another count of 2 for me, physically make your self relax before you turn, and as your turning repeat something till your round, i used "drive" so as to remind myself that if the rear wheel wasn't getting drive it was foot down or bike over :oops:

I also practiced this till the cows not only came home they went to sleep.

If its just the wobble that's throwing you off, practice pulling away looking and stopping, separate it out into sections until you can put them all together.

Are you ok with the actual turn

Remember with lifesavers its always worded as

" Consider a lifesaver"

If things in front of you are more of a hazard concentrate on that not what's behind you .

I know this is test but if you can give a good valid reason for not performing a lifesaver at a certain time it should not be held against you .

I'm afraid this isn't good enough for the test. There cannot be a valid reason for not performing a lifesaver in the test and it is a fail if you don't. It's utterly, utterly stupid that we have to pretend that there are imaginary cars behind us in the enclosed area where we are on the only vehicle, but the examiner will say "as if you are on a public road" and that's what you have to do. In spite of the fact that actually, if I were on a public road, I would keep looking all the time and not be looking back and forth. And in fact would not do a u turn and have no intention of ever doing one.