GETTING READY TO TAKE YOUR MOTORCYCLE DRIVING TEST

Guest rjhgt

THE MOTORCYCLE PRACTICAL DRIVING TEST.

GETTING READY TO TAKE YOUR MOTORCYCLE DRIVING TEST

Before you can book a motorcycle-driving test you must have passed the theory test. A test booking will not be accepted if you have not previously passed the theory test. To find out more about theory test, please ask, or visit http://www.driving-tests.co.uk

You can book a driving test over the phone (0870 01 01 372) if you have a credit or debit card. You should have your DVLA driving license number to hand & your credit card details with your theory test pass details.

If you have not got a credit or debit card, you can get an application form from your local test center.(Please note, we have special test booking facilities and if you are training with us we will book your test for you so it coincides with the end of your training)

The motorcycle test is a 40-minute (approximate) pursuit road test with the examiner following behind you on a motorcycle or sometimes in a car.

Ensure you arrive at the test center EARLY; your test will be cancelled if you are late and you will loose your test fee. Allow time for traffic, nerves, loosing your keys etc. Do not end up in a rush! On arrival at the test center, park your motorcycle correctly and ensure it is not obstructing any entrances or other vehicles. It is easier if you park it so it can be ridden away without having to push it back.

Wait in the waiting room and the examiner will call you to a briefing room when he is ready. The examiner will introduce himself and ask you if you mind being called by your first name. Forget all the old wives tales you have heard about examiners and tests, it’s all done in a friendly manner, all you have to be is SAFE!

The examiner will check your provisional license and DL 196 certificate. If you do not have a new style photo license (you MUST bring both parts) he will want to see photographic evidence, such as a passport. You will also be asked to sign a declaration that your bike is insured and has a current MOT if required. The examiner will briefly describe the test and what he wants. He will also fit you with a radio & explain how he will give directions. Remember, following directions are not part of the test, if you do make a mistake and take the wrong turning you will not be penalized.

Outside the test center the examiner will check that you can hear him and give you an eyesight test with a car registration plate.

The test has now started and you will be observed on everything you do, until you arrive back at the test center and dismount.

The examiner has many different test routes but aims to cover as varied a pattern of roads as is possible, in the time allowed. Expect to go through the town as well as a housing estate.

DRIVING TESTS FAULTS

Failing to take rear observation before pulling off the kerb. (Move your head around!)

Failing to cancel indicators after a maneuver. (Double check EVERYTIME)

Crossing traffic lights at amber when you should have safely stopped.

Locking the rear wheel up during the emergency stop (BIG effort front brake, SMALL effort rear brake)

Failing to take rear observation before pulling away on the hill start.

Failing to take rear observation before the u turn (Remember if you ride forward first, you must take another rear observation before turning)

Failing to take a right lifesaver before turning right.

Failing to take shoulder checks before pulling away after being stopped at traffic lights or across a junction.

Exceeding the speed limit.

Failing to make progress by riding at less than the speed limit when safe to do so.

If you do make a mistake on test, and most riders do, don't dwell on it. The examiner may not have even noticed it. It may only be a minor mistake and your allowed plenty of those anyway. Remember the examiner knows you are not an experienced rider; he is just looking for you to ride the course safely.

After the test the examiner will ask you some questions regarding carrying a pillion passenger or load on your motorcycle.

If carrying a pillion passenger or load you might want to consider adjusting the following on your machine (Refer to your owners manual)

1. You may need to increase your tyre pressures, consult your owner’s manual.

2. You may need to adjust your rear suspension, again consult your owner’s manual.

3. You may need to adjust your head beam aim.

4. You may need to re-adjust your mirrors.

Whenever you carry a pillion or load the control of the machine will be effected in the following way:

1. The acceleration will be slower.

2. The braking distance will become longer.

3. The handling of the machine during slow riding will become more challenging, as the center of gravity will be shifted towards the rear of the machine.

Before allowing pillion passengers on your motorcycle you should brief them as follows:

1. Always tell me before you are going to mount or dismount, or ask. Don’t just suddenly get off or on, you may catch me off balance.

2. Do not give hand signals for me.

3. Do not sway around on the machine; keep still and in corners lean with me, not against me.

4. When I stop do not put your feet down, keep them on the pegs.

5. Hold on tightly to either the grab rails or my waist.

6. Always mount & dismount from the curbside.

You should also remember the law in regard to pillion passengers. Your pillion passenger must sit astride the machine on a proper seat and should keep both feet on the footrests. (Don’t forget to fold the pegs down before the pillion mounts!)

Your pillion passenger is also subject to the same law as the driver. The passenger must wear an approved safety helmet, correctly fastened, unless a practicing member of the Sikh religion and wearing a turban.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Brilliant, thanks!

Going to take plenty more reads before my next test. Very useful stuff.

Do you have anything on the show me/tell me part? I tend to freeze up a bit on this and can usually answer, but not brilliantly.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Lol, a mate and I were wondering about this last night when we spoke to some girls in Chester (After the races). He wanted to take one of them for a ride but they were both quite drunk (he had a spare lid!) but we didnt know if it was illegal or not. he decided against it as a drunkard on the back is probably a bad idea anyway. Is it actually illegal?

Lol, a mate and I were wondering about this last night when we spoke to some girls in Chester (After the races). He wanted to take one of them for a ride but they were both quite drunk (he had a spare lid!) but we didnt know if it was illegal or not. he decided against it as a drunkard on the back is probably a bad idea anyway. Is it actually illegal?

Yes it is Caz. As the rider, you would face the same penalties as if you where drunk.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Being that my Mod 2 is tomorrow I guess I'm getting anxious and thinking of the silly things.

During the questions stage of the Mod 2, if it's an open ended question and I think of 3 out of 4 possibilities but not the last one (such as mirrors, suspension, headlights but not tyres when carrying a pillion), is that a minor? A major? How does that whole thing work?

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Been reading few posts and found the info very useful. Quick question, once you have your CBT and passed your theory test, is it compulsory to have any additional lessons or can you just go ahead and book your practical tests?

Second question, if the practical on a 125cc would you then still be allowed to ride a bigger bike?

Thanks in advance.

Dill

Quick question, once you have your CBT and passed your theory test, is it compulsory to have any additional lessons or can you just go ahead and book your practical tests?

Second question, if the practical on a 125cc would you then still be allowed to ride a bigger bike?

Dill

Hi there,

1) No - no lessons compulsory

2) Yes, but restricted in power for 2 year (33hp) - believe me - quite a difference from any 125..

Steve

Edited by splang

Hi all,

Been reading few posts and found the info very useful. Quick question, once you have your CBT and passed your theory test, is it compulsory to have any additional lessons or can you just go ahead and book your practical tests?

Thanks in advance.

Dill

First: Not compulsory, but highly recommended. Without professional training you miss out on a lot of the staying alive on the roads tips :)

Second: Yes, but restricted to 33bhp for 2 years. See http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/LearnerAndNewDrivers/RidingMotorcyclesAndMopeds/DG_4022568

Thanks for the quick replies. If enquired about lessons and I was told that they recommend a five day course which cost £700 (includes practical tests), does that sound about right?

Thanks for the quick replies. If enquired about lessons and I was told that they recommend a five day course which cost £700 (includes practical tests), does that sound about right?

I paid around £720 I think, a few months ago. That included practical, theory, 5 days and the loan of kit including the theory DVD.

• 6 months later...

I paid around £720 I think, a few months ago. That included practical, theory, 5 days and the loan of kit including the theory DVD.

Blimey that's cheap. Where'd you do that? I'd like to do my DAS but paying hundreds seems crazy. I think I'd rather just do mod1+2 on my own

Blimey that's cheap. Where'd you do that? I'd like to do my DAS but paying hundreds seems crazy. I think I'd rather just do mod1+2 on my own

Hi folks Im getting it for £600 including test fees although excludes CBT. For that it comes with a guarantee pass well 5 attempts, although you still have to pay for the extra test fees, all lessons upto the pass are included.

Can anyone shed light on if you forget to do any of the following

1. Lifesavers

2. Look over your shoulders

3. Cancel indicators once

Do you fail instantly or is there some come and go ?

Hi folks Im getting it for £600 including test fees although excludes CBT. For that it comes with a guarantee pass well 5 attempts, although you still have to pay for the extra test fees, all lessons upto the pass are included.

Can anyone shed light on if you forget to do any of the following

1. Lifesavers

2. Look over your shoulders

3. Cancel indicators once

Do you fail instantly or is there some come and go ?

On my last MOD2 attempt I :

Didn't do a lifesaver once,

Didn't look over shoulders I think twice

Used indicator too early once and didn't use it properly another couple of times

All-in-all failed the test (no wonder) this is all due to nerves had I not wobbled while stopping up-the-hill, it could have been soo much different... Maybe

Some say that there are examiners who just do the job ticking the bloody boxes in a light-green coloured sheet, the other ones assess you as a rider... I suppose you can ask your instructors what sort of examiners you have down there ???

but to answer your question - technically, lifesaver is a serious fault - so it is a fail. Look over your shoulders - another one - so is a fail too, cancel indicators is the major one - so definitely is a fail. But again - some examiners may allow you to get away with one of those - if your overall riding technique is up to their level of "acceptable rider"...

• 3 months later...

dont give them the chance to use any of them to fail you if you can. If you think you have made a lifesaver do another quick one even if its a quick glance do it.

Leaving your indicators on starts off as a minor and then progresses up the seriousness the longer its left on - if you hear the examiner say "Indicators" then you can probabaly bet you may fail but as some others have said on here, they have had examiner shouting at them down the mic only to find out at the end of the test they got 2 minors and passed. You may find the examiner realises your nervous so tells you off so you think F**** it ive failed and thats when you seemingly drive faultless.

and the looking over the shoulders i thought were your lifesavers so again do them. Just make it a force of habit.

hope this helps