Mod 2 Test in Glasagow (Shieldhall)

I am shortly about to sit my MOD 2 test at the end of Feb 2012 in Glasgow. Having been pretty confident of passing, I have become slightly concerned by sites which advise the the Shieldhall Test Centre in Glasgow has the worst percentage pass rate in Scotland!!! - Apprently 30 odd percent...

In order to prep, perhaps someone could advise on the following -

Any idea what the test route is?

Does the examiner use bike or car?

Any other tips to pass Mod 2?

Any help greatly appreciated as I have saved up for a couple of years for a "big bike" and Im crying out to spend it. Plus my mates are risind down for MOTO GP in June so I need to pass....!!

Cheers

Hi, I passed second time round. My fail was because even though I have driving past Arkleston primary school and Renfrew High on Cockles Loan for years I had never noticed the 20mph outside the High School is temporary when lights flash but the one outside the primary is 20mph all the time :(

My pass was with one minor for pulling out to let cars onto the Clydeside Expressway and then when I pulled back in to the inside lane as the cars accelerated away I did not do a lifesaver. The examiner saw I checked my mirror, but he felt I should have done a lifesaver as well.

The examiner is on a bike.

As for test routes, there are only two places that you can do over 40mph that are near the test centre, so you will either find yourself on the Clydeside Expressway or the back road from Renfrew to Hillington on Arkleston Rd. Otherwise it is a combination of Jordanhill, Govan, Hillington and Renfrew.

As for advice, all I can say is that the routes are all hard as there is hazard upon hazard with changing speed limits, odd junctions, round-a-bouts, speed cameras, mad Renfrew drivers, daft Govan pedestrians, traffic lights galore and you just need to watch everything like a hawk :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks, this is my first post on the forum...

I've just failed my mod2 at Sheildhall last Wednesday for being to far right while waiting to turn right at an unmarked Y junction (Ranfurly road I think).

Totally peeved off as the junction is about a mile wide but the road joining it ahead is only 2 lanes wide which leaves you in the middle of the oncoming traffic.

Can anybody send me a copy of the routes? I'd love a chance to drive around the routes before my re-sit.

Cheers,

Stevie

Hi Yellowclaws and welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about the fail on what appears such a minor issue.

I wonder if it is the examiners or the routes that makes Shieldhall supposedly the hardest place to pass.

The examiner was fine for the mod2 (the mod1 was a different story!).

He asked me to pull up behind a car and then cross the road to the right but I couldn't decide where to place the bike before turning due to the lack of markings and the unusual shape of the road.

A real dilemma.

Sitting beside the parked car might be too far left.

Too far right is a guaranteed fail.

The oncoming road is only two lanes wide, the junction i'm siting at is about 7 lanes wide!

There are no road markings.

He failed me for choosing to place the bike in the middle of the junction which he then said placed me in front of oncoming traffic.

It looks like a no win junction to me.

Check out the Google map link below.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=ranfurl ... C0%2C21.33

If anybody has the routes i'd be very glad of a look so I can at least drive them in the car first.

Cheers, Stevie.

I had that junction when I did my first Mod 2 and I am sure there were at least faded road markings there to help guide you. I supposed you go by the seams in the tarmac as to where lines should be. But that is a bugger of a junction.

From where I was sitting (parked behind a car at the junction) the whole junction looked really wide but you've to pretend it's still only 2 lanes wide. The seam in the road is where I went and its too far over. Where the 2 lanes are exactly i'm still not sure. A bit of white paint might be a great innovative idea the roads department could try.

I'll just need to watch out for sneaky sections.

Cheers,

Stevie.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,

passed my mod2 today (2nd attempt) and celebrated by going for a run up to Arrochar on my ZZR600.

Best bit of advice I got was to treat the examiner like a satnav. Worked for me anyway, took the pressure off a bit.

Ended up with 4 minor faults.

It's a nerve wracking thing to go through and I have say a big thanks to all for the help and advice.

Cheers,

Stevie.

• 3 years later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
PM sent

Hi Fred,

Can you please send me a copy of test routes? I'm due to sit my Mod2 on July 15th, so would feel a little more comfartable if I was familar with the area that I will likely have to travel on.

If you have any tips too that would be great!

Thanks in advance!

• 1 month later...

Hi

Can anyone please send me test routes for Shieldhall. I will be coming from Stirling to do the test and not familiar with Glasgow at all. Really looking to get used to the roads before September.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank You

Mac

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Passed my MOD1 first time at Shieldhall, no problems.

I have now failed my MOD 2 twice at this test centre though. 1 Major both times. Getting pretty disheartened. Have got it re-booked again for next month but this is becoming an expensive hobby! Would therefore also appreciate test route info.

Cheers

Hey mjk what were the fails for? If it's something like not lifesavering then knowing the route probably won't help much if you haven't got the subconscious check check check quite nailed. Speed limits are the kicker but just make sure you look at the entrance of every road :thumb:

Hi guys,

Passed my MOD1 first time at Shieldhall, no problems.

I have now failed my MOD 2 twice at this test centre though. 1 Major both times. Getting pretty disheartened. Have got it re-booked again for next month but this is becoming an expensive hobby! Would therefore also appreciate test route info.

Cheers

PM sent

1st Failure was on dual carriageway going past Ibrox. Parked van in inside lane. Did mirror check, and lifesaver, saw car in outside lane maybe 100m away coming up outside lane. I felt that I had adequate time to signal, re-lifesaver and move out. I did this. The car then decided to aggressively undertake me and cut back in front of me before the parked van. Examiner said he feels I failed to judge how quickly the car was approaching and should have waited for him to overtake. Fair enough I guess. 1 minor on that test for mishearing which exit of roundabout to leave at, but did so safely so no issue. Said it was flawless ride apart from that.

Second time was lack of knowledge of highway code. Turning right off main road to minor road at yellow box junction. I waited at the edge of the box, as there was oncoming traffic on other side of road. Apparently you're meant to wait inside the yellow box if you're turning right and the exit's clear. I've been driving a car for 7 years and have never realised this, so was frustrating to fail for this! Examiner said this was also flawless ride apart from this, and he couldn't believe it when I was sitting at the edge of the box.

I think my strategy for next test in October will be to brush up on the highway code again!

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...