CBT or DAS course?

Hi guys,

This is my first post on the forum but hopefully first of many. I've been talking about getting a bike for a long time now and the mrs has bought me a voucher for my cbt for Christmas, to be honest it's the kick up the arse I've needed to get things moving.

I'm 25 years old and have been a full car license holder for a good few years now so I would hope that the rules of the road are still fresh in my mind.

My problem is that I can't decide whether I should do my cbt and buy a cheap 125 to spend a while learning on my own on L plates or if should do the cbt and go straight for a DAS course and buy a decent 250 to learn on without the L plates (the Suzuki inazuma seems to be winning so far).

I'd like to hear some other opinions on this decision. I would much prefer to learn on a nice 250 over a 125 and think that getting through my DAS would take longer to get on the road but would mean by the time I hit the road on my road I would have much more training behind me and should make me a better first time rider.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks

Welcome to TMBF mate.....pop over to the Newbies section and introduce yourself to the gang when you get a chance.......Oh....and please put your general location in your profile...... 8-)

Personally I'd go straight for the DAS.....the extra training for the DAS and riding a bigger bike will be more beneficial to you IMHO...... :wink: I'd also aim for something like a 600cc bike after passing.....it'll have a bit more road presence and a bit more power on tap if it's needed....and it'll only go as fast as you let it...... :wink:

My problem is that I can't decide whether I should do my cbt and buy a cheap 125 to spend a while learning on my own on L plates or if should do the cbt and go straight for a DAS course and buy a decent 250 to learn on without the L plates (the Suzuki inazuma seems to be winning so far).

Thanks

DAS, simply because it opens up more options.

Once passed, you can still pootle around on a 125 if you like.

Ok cool

So if I go and do my cbt, get the theory test done (I've got the app on my phone and did the hazard perception for my car test so I can't see it being too difficult) then go and do an intensive DAS course. I did all of my car lessons and test in 5 days so again intensive learning shouldn't be too much of a problem. I have read through the other threads on here about what to expect from the tests. How are the training courses broken down generally? How much on/off road time to you get?

Also location and other info update on my profile :)

Honestly, I'd do the theory before you do anything. There's usually a wait before you can book one in and once you've done your CBT, you won't want that holding you up.

I had an app for the theory and it sorted me out just fine - breezed the theory with 1 incorrect answer, although the hazard perception is a bit weird. You have to spot the hazards and then spot when the hazard become imminent at the 'right' time, not necessarily the quickest time. However, it's still pretty straightforward.

CBT and then straight through the DAS will save you money - hope yourself straight onto a 600cc afterwards. If you're doing the full course you'll probably spend maximum 3 days on a 125cc (more likely 1 and a half). Once you're on a 500cc (most likely they'll stick you on one before the 600cc/650cc) you won't want to be anywhere near a 125cc again.

If, however, you do plan on taking your time - then maybe a 125cc is the way to go. You can practice your gear changes and just get used to being on two wheels. But in hindsight, I would've skipped it.

I had a 50cc scooter in March. By October I'd decided to go for the DAS. Passed CBT and bought a 125cc. Started my course and passed Mod 1 in November, Mod 2 in December and I've just taken delivery of my big bike. Really could've saved the outlay on the 125cc if I'd gone about it differently.

The obvious choice due to your age is straight to DAS.

As has been said, get the theory done, then when you do CBT all options will be open to you immediately.

Not sure where you are in Kent but i could recommend someone if you're North West Kent.

Once you've done CBT then decide what track you want to take depending on how well it goes/how comfortable you are on the bike ?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks

Just noticed you're in Kent. I can highly recommend Dexterity based near Ashford. My son, my brother and I all trained with them in the last few years.

As a bonus, they now offer DAS training on a Ducati 696 :shock:

http://www.dexteritytraining.co.uk/Ducati_Rider_Training.htm

Cool thanks, I live in Maidstone actually but I know ashford quite well. Are the tests done at the Maidstone test centre same as the cars?

My cbt is booked with Phoenix training in Maidstone, if they offer a DAS course I will probably go with them as they are only down the road, unless anyone knows of a good reason why not to.

Thanks

Thanks I had tried looking for which centres did the bike test but couldn't find it.

It's a shame really I'm sure it makes the test slightly easier to do it on roads you're familiar with

Thanks I had tried looking for which centres did the bike test but couldn't find it.

It's a shame really I'm sure it makes the test slightly easier to do it on roads you're familiar with

Fair point, but if you're ready for the test then you should be ready to ride on ALL roads in ALL conditions, not just those that you know well :)

And consider yourself lucky... the nearest motorcycle test centre to me is a 5 hour round trip (as is the nearest KFC) :shock:

Ahh mate, now I feel kinda spoilt. I'm only a few minutes walk away from fried chicken on top of that I live within smelling distance of a dominos... Which does have its downsides.

I'm going to my theory booked for sometime in the new year and then take things from there, I hope to be out on two wheels by the summer so I won't put too much pressure on myself and won't end up rushing to get the tests booked and training done

Hey man,

I'm 27 and hadn't ridden a bike before I did a free taster session at the start of October.

After the taster they advised me to get the CBT and theory done and once I'd done those two I was already hooked and the obvious choice was to proceed onto the DAS.

Passed all of that a few weeks ago and haven't looked back since. Highly recommend doing DAS over just a CBT. I feel way more comfortable on my 600 than I did on the learner 125.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do :)

Did my DAS about 4 years ago now after not having been on a motorbike for 20 years and I had never rode a geared motorbike at any point. Did the intensive course over a week and all was fine and the driving will help for sure as the rules of the road are pretty universal. If it's affordable I'd lean towards the DAS and go get a 600, the bigger bikes are definately more fun and easier to ride in my experience.

I'd like to hear some other opinions on this decision. I would much prefer to learn on a nice 250 over a 125 and think that getting through my DAS would take longer to get on the road but would mean by the time I hit the road on my road I would have much more training behind me and should make me a better first time rider.

Do the DAS.

You've already been 25 years off a bike, so a few more weeks/months wont hurt, and we need more bikers in Kent!! :)

(i'm in Sevenoaks)

The opinion seems pretty much unanimous then. You guys have helped my make up my mind to go for the DAS but use the CBT voucher I've got to knock a days training off the bill. Car needs tax and mot at the end of jan so I've that I'll get the money together and get the theory and the course booked. Now that the mrs has shown her encouragement there's nothing holding me back.

Thanks for all you input

The opinion seems pretty much unanimous then. You guys have helped my make up my mind to go for the DAS but use the CBT voucher I've got to knock a days training off the bill. Car needs tax and mot at the end of jan so I've that I'll get the money together and get the theory and the course booked. Now that the mrs has shown her encouragement there's nothing holding me back.

You have to do CBT before you can start DAS training.

It's Compulsory Basic Training so it's not an optional thing... use the voucher, get your CBT certificate, then start DAS.

And good luck!

Yeah that's what I meant but didn't word it properly. The DAS courses I've looked at vary in length... Some include the cbt and some don't so I can do a course that doesn't include it for a cheaper price

If you can afford it go for a das then you have options. I would think oncr you havr been on a 600 for a few days you will think nore about a 600 to learn and gain experience on. If you just do cbt you will settle it will expire and you will be at squarr one again

• 2 months later...

Not a lot to report really since I opened this thread up. I passed my theory test last Thursday but still waiting for what seems like decent weather to do my cbt. The place it's booked with has been chasing so I will bite the bullet and get it booked towards the end of the month, still planning to go straight for DAS once the cbt is passed.

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't be too bothered about dodging raindrops to do the cbt. If it does rain, look on the bright side. You get to test your waterproofs and learn in a more testing environment which should set you up better for when it rains for real (because it will)

Had absolutely amazing weather last summer when i did my cbt and das but as a result didn't get any wet weather experience until i was on my own.

Seems you might be doing your test at the Gillingham centre unless there is another in Kent more local to you/your chosen school. I used a training company based in Northfleet. Found it quite intense, but he knew his stuff.

Goodluck with it all.

• 3 weeks later...

About time for another update... I've been a bit slow on getting things organised, mainly due to a busy few months at work. CBT is booked for the end of the month and hopefully DAS will follow shortly after, I've recently bought jacket gloves and helmet so I'm good to go.

What I wanted to know was at the time I first posted here people were advising against a 250cc bike. I've still been torn between the two ways of thinking and really struggling to decide what bike I want, the cbr250 looks good but so does the sv650. I've had mixed opinions from all I have spoken to so was hoping someone can point out why they think a 600+cc bike is the right way to go for a first timer.

Thanks

Welcome.

I say get ur theory done and then do your das course then you can ride what you like, a small bike or bigger one and you will also see when you do the course that a bigger bike is just as easy to get experience on a bigger bike