Theory Test tomorrow - Hazard Perception

Theory test tomorrow at 11am. nervous? yep.

So I have spent hours upon hours this week revising using The Complete Motorcycle Theory Test DVD. Started off a bit ropey but now getting 50/50 final marks. Happy enough with that but the hazard perception worries me after reading about all kinds of issues with the software. Also I started to revise using the old grainy video clips, which are tricky to make out if i'm honest. But I am correct in thinking they use CG clips now? The ones on the DVD are going well but probably only because I now what to look out for now. There are not many new clips im coming up against or is it just there as a taste of whats involved in the test?

Hey Stoaty

The new clips are CGI (and you can have added bonus fun looking for the same cars going past in each clip!).

I failed my first test on these clips and I think it was because I clicked too early and only once per clip as I was paranoid about over clicking. This is not the correct way to do it!!

When you see a hazard (car coming quick down a side road) - click

As the hazard develops click (car not slowing down there) - click

As there is an actual hazard (car now in front of you) - click

This should mean you get at least one point for the hazard.

Just be nice and logical and anything you see that on the road would make you think "ooh may need to brake if that moron keeps doing that" then click :lol:

Don't click in a rhythm and don't feel like because you haven't clicked in a while you've missed something! You'll be fine :thumb:

After thinking I'd aced my hazard perception with a top score because I'd spotted every hazard and clicked as soon as I'd seen it, I was quite shocked when I'd literally scraped through with 44!! I think I'd been too on the ball and should have clicked a couple more times after I'd spotted each one...

Good luck! Also although to fine to click a few times as the hazard progresses, don't do it. On all but one clip there's only one hazard, I got 0 on one of mine (because it deemed my input unacceptable), as I'd clicked at things I though could turn into a hazard. So for example car approaching from the side, people walking towards a crossing. I merrily clicked away and then got zilch. Instead I think you need to predict more accurately which one is the hazard and click as it occurs. The CGI graphics were supposedly good, and clear. Good luck!

Sent from my phone.

Best advice I can give is constantly scan the screen, don't day dream and just stare straight down the road, be moving your eyes and just read the whole scene... Most of the hazards come from out of no where... so scan left, middle and right and repeat every second..

Best advice I can give is constantly scan the screen, don't day dream and just stare straight down the road, be moving your eyes and just read the whole scene... Most of the hazards come from out of no where... so scan left, middle and right and repeat every second..

You think it would work like that, but they can't just let observant drivers on the road, that would be some form of discrimination...:roll:

How did you get on mr stoat?

Success!! 48/50 theory & 56/75 Hazard Perception.

Disappointed I got 2 wrong in the theory, asked which they were but they couldn't tell me which. Hazard was very dodgy, clip 6 saw me click to quickly and no score registered!! Really thought I had chuffed it up then but carried on. So not a great score but a pass anyway.

Was very nervous, not sure how I will be for MOD 1 and can't even think about MOD 2.

Really looking forward to my MOD 1 training though, never been on anything bigger than a 125cc.

So all in all very happy, so much so I almost rode off with my lock still on the bike, DOH!!

Thanks for the help so far. I'm saw I will be seeking further advice about the MOD 1 soon....

Well done!!

I panicked about mod1, knowing my road stuff was fine for mod2. Passed mod1 and failed mod2 (ta to the little old lady in Farnham walking in front of my bike hitting it with her Waitrose bags, cost me another £165). Got it second time round. :D enjoy your training, our instructors were great!

• 1 year later...

hi guys,

I got my bike theory test tomorrow I have done the test online and scored 100% however I am dreading the hazard perception test I have tried it online failed 3 times and just scraped in on my 4th attempt. its ridiculous the test is not fit for purpose .

I am 53 been driving 30yrs I have driven lorries and currently drive a jcb all over wales and NEVER have had an accident! In 30 yrs.

being a very experienced driver I see or detect a potential hazards every day and deal wit them accordingly. I don't need a pre programed computer simulation to tell me when a hazard may occur or develop us experienced road users use or own judgement. when you see potential hazard on the road you asses it and act accordingly, yet that stupid computer program expects you to identify a hazard at the point it believes you should, a hazard is a hazard it CANNOT develop into a grater hazard !! its nuts... I have failed for clicking to soon ????? and not continuing to click the closer I get to a potential hazard why? ive already identified the hazard and reacted accordingly . its obvious that an experienced driver with 30yrs driving huge vehicles that can potentially kill someone has a better perception of a potential hazard than a man made computer simulation!! its a crock of shit it really is. why do you have to click on the same hazard 2 or times at different stages when you have already identified that hazard once????. its madness.... why because the hazard mite develop? well you have already identified it and are prepared to deal with it accordingly!!!!!!!!. every roundabout, every junction, every lane change, every traffic light ect ect is a potential hazard but that's a part of every day driving and you deal; with these things accordingly. as an experienced driver I encounter these potential hazards every day and yet I am penalised for seeing them to soon!!!!!!!!!!! . this so called test is unfit for purpose you fail if the guy who designed the test decides if you don't click when he thinks you should have and don't click if he thinks you should identify the same hazard 2 or 3 times as you get closer to it.

hers the best one... your driving down the road there is a parked car on your left you see it then a woman and a little old lady starts to walk behind the car toward the road... right its a potential hazard they might be going to put something in the bot but maybe they intend to walk out from behind the car, you identify it as a potential hazard you react instantly your aware of the potential danger you slow down and be prepared to stop, you have seen the potential hazard and reacted accordingly, they step into the road you react instantly and stop they cross the road you don't pull off till they are safely on the pavement then you pull off and continue on your way.. YOU FAIL?????? why???? because the computer program says you didn't click when they actually stepped into the road didn't click when they crossed the road!!! . its bull shit!! you correctly identified the potential hazard before it occurred and dealt with it accordingly , you identified it reacted to it and dealt with it correctly why fail you????

this so called test is un fit for purpose and should be replaced with a test that truly reflect ones reaction times and response's to potential hazards .

ranting

Hey Jcb. I don't disagree wholeheartedly with this as I failed the hazard perception bit on my first go and think it is stupid - but it's a game and to beat the game you have to click a couple of times as they "develop".

it's a small part of getting your license so I'd play the game and move on to the fun practical stuff :lol:

Good luck :thumb:

hey hogs,

im glad I am not the only one who thinks this test is ridiculous then.

so by clicking 2 or 3 times on the same potential hazard will get me a pass. so im being forced to abandon my own judgement and 30 yrs experience on the road to comply with one individual at the dsa definition of a developing hazard!!;. so when I take the hazard perception test I have to think like a complete novice someone who's never put a wheel on a road before! .

it goes against my own rational and perception !!.

but there ya go these tests never allow for common sense, driving experience or an individual's reaction times they treat everyone as a complete rookie and moron... ok guys my rant over all the best to anyone who has got to take this bull bullshit test

hey hogs, I have to think like a complete novice

pretty much :lol: click when you see then a couple after. don't click too many times - two after you see it should bag enough points and make sure you're not too rhythmic. it takes quite a few clicks to void the question and it's passable with a void or 2.

after I failed I did a few practise ones online and I was clicking too early according to the machine :roll:

well I done the theory test yesterday and passed it. the hazard perception test was easier than I thought as all videos only have 1 hazard ect for one clip that has 2. the guy booking me in was an x police bike cop . we got chatting and I explained my anxiety of the hazard test regarding clicking to soon. he told me when you see the hazard click immediately then count to 2 and click again , count to 2 and click again so if you do click to early the other 2 clicks will register. I took his advice and I passed. im not saying to do it this way however it worked for me. hope this helps someone who's nervous about taking this test. I still think its not fit for purpose though and needs addressing. just booked my mod 1 for next weekend !!