Questions about CBT and A1

Hi,

I've been looking online and I can't seem to find an answer to this but what is the difference between a CBT and a A1, I've read that you cannot ride a 125cc with just a CBT, I've also heard that you only need an A1 so you don't have to renew your CBT after 2 years but I haven't found a definitive answer. The reason I'm wanting to know this is I am looking at getting a Honda CBR 125 and I'm wondering if I would be able to ride it with just a CBT or if I would need an A1 license to ride this bike?

Cbt is the minimum "training "you require before riding on the roads.

A1 is the licence category to allow you to ride a 125cc with L Plates.

So if your 17 and over you can ride upto 2 years on a 125 with l plates on a cbt ticket if you have a1 catergory on your licence (provisional)

Apolgies the changed catergories hence the edit

https://www.gov.uk/ride-motorcycle-moped/bike-categories-ages-and-licence-requirements

Depends on how long you have your licence / age

as said CBT minimum training everyone has to do it unless you passed before 2001 and you have a full moped licence

At 16 with a CBT you can ride a moped with L plates and thats it

At 17 you can do the CBT and ride a 125cc with L plates the CBT lasts 2 years and then you have to do it again but if you did A1 you can ride a 125cc without L plates

• 2 years later...