250cc learners

Who else on here passed their test on a 250cc?

I took my test in Sept 1981 aged 17 on a Suzuki GT250 (TAC 911N if its still out there) . Token eye test as we walked out the test centre,checked out a car number plate over the road.Examiner stood at the side of the road as i rode around two blocks in a figure of 8 a few times,did an emergency stop,sat on a park bench for 20 mins answering highway code questions and that was it,L plates ripped up.

Sounds easy compared to today's epic journey to biking L plate freedom.

Honda CD 175 here too, passed when I was 16, July 1972, I believe the age went up to 17 about a week after I passed my test. This sometimes causes me problems when filling in online insurance forms as the forms don't accept my dates so I have to tell porkies to get the quote.

Likewise, 1975 on a Honda CD175. Pulled an accidental wheelie half way round the test route but out of sight of the examiner.

Test got shortened to about 10 minutes because it started to rain. :wink: Gave me my pass certificate and told me to be carefull but enjoy.

2 weeks later part exed the CD for a Suzuki GT380 and the camshaft snapped on the way to the dealers (Motorcycle City). I felt really guilty, but within a short time I was wishing I had something else I could get my own back on them with :x

3 years later I did my first Police advanced course and then realised how bad I was and how much I didn't know.

I wasn't allowed to have a bike until I was 18.. and then only if I saved and paid for it myself.. the old man trying to instil a sense of responsibility.

Test was round the block.. what i remember most about that day was the man who did the test looked like Harry Worth.. wearing a homburg hat and armed with a clipboard and stop watch. He seemed to be in a dreadful hurry to be finished for the day. The emergency stop was a bit daft.. a bus was pulling out so i had slowed right down. so an emergency stop from about 15mph.

Bike was a 1976 KH250. a pretend hooligan 2 stroke triple. looked better than it went. cost me £280. I really wanted an X7.. but they were too new and too expensive. (and in hindsight.. too stupid)

2 weeks after that my best mate from school was killed on his brand spanking new Triumph. people did the test.. and passed. but actually had no real idea about how to ride. I think it must have been about that time that star rider came along. which someone once likened to learning how to swim in a classroom, from behind a desk. then being thrown into a river.

• 4 weeks later...

My old man always told me when he passed his test in the 70's, the examiner that told him to ride down one council estate street, the examiner hid behind a parked car (not very well may i add) and he jumped out and made you do an emergency stop. He flicked through a few highway code cards and that was the test done, ride the bike back to the end of the road to the test centre and you were given your pass certificate.

My old man always told me when he passed his test in the 70's, the examiner that told him to ride down one council estate street, the examiner hid behind a parked car (not very well may i add) and he jumped out and made you do an emergency stop. He flicked through a few highway code cards and that was the test done, ride the bike back to the end of the road to the test centre and you were given your pass certificate.

I must have done the advanced test.....because mine had a slow riding bit too......I'm sure the examiner couldn't have walked any slower if he tried......fortunately the CD175 was good for this.......In fact, one of my mates had a Ducati 250 with clip-ons, which was a pig to ride slowly.....so he borrowed my bike to do his test..... :wink: :lol: :lol: