Newbie advice

Hi everyone,

I'm new to motorbikes and this site and recently done my theory test and CBT. You have probably been asked a hundred time over this same question....

I've never ridden a bike until recently for the CBT. Initially I want to go straight for my DAS and get a 600cc. Is it a wise choice doing this or would a 125cc be the way forward for a while then assess going for the DAS?

TIA. Chris.

Hello!

I've just done exactly that - CBT and DAS just before Christmas and have bought myself a CBF600S. Having a dozen or years of driving experience helped a lot, and gave me a lot more confidence on the road than I imagine would be the case if this was my first time in traffic.

I guess time will tell, but I certainly don't feel that a 600 is too much for starting out, since bikes will only go as fast as you want them too. If you're doing the DAS then you'll have plenty of time on bikes of that capacity so can see what you're comfortable with.

The school I learnt with did a cross-over lesson after the CBT, where my new DAS instructor took me out for a bit on the 125 then swapped to the 600, and never looked back!

Do the DAS! I went 125 and have gained some great experience. However after 2 weeks I wanted the bigger bike and its been much harder to get there by taking on the 125 first. Also in some situations a bigger bike can be more forgiving,(yet also much less forgiving in other situations!).

I rode a 125 for a couple years before doing my DAS, think it gave me good experience as a) everyone tries to kill you with L plates on so you learn to read the road and other users better b) you don't have the power to get yourself out of trouble so have to plan further ahead

However lots of people go straight for the DAS, I guess it's down to money partly (learning to ride a bike is friggin' expensive) and how confident people feel on the road.

If you can afford to do it now, you may as well do it now. As *checks* Lateralus said they only go as fast as you make them

Swings and roundabouts - If the 125 in your CBT didn't feel like enough, go for it. But not point rushing ahead if it felt like plenty for the time being, it's whatever you enjoy. I did my DAS 3 years ago, in that time I've had two 125s and two A2 bikes and nothing that I actually needed the DAS for :lol:

Straight to DAS is the right thing for many people. I'd recommend it as the extra training you receive is worthwhile and the bigger bike isn't really harder to ride. 125s are great tools and I'd say it's ok to stick with a CBT if budget is a problem but doing the DAS is definitely the sensible option if you're planning to upgrade anyway. Remember that just because you have a full license doesn't mean you have to go out and buy a really powerful bike just because you can.

I think a bigger bike is generally safer than a 125 because it has more presence, you'll be more trained (it is different to driving a car), better brakes and more power to squirt out of trouble when needed. That said I still ride my 125 regularly, despite having bigger bikes, and it can still be a lot of fun in the right circumstances. It's much easier and a more enjoyable experience to ride the 125 now that I have a few years of experience though.

If your confidence is an issue I would still suggest doing DAS and then maybe buying a smaller bike as your first when you pass. Wobbling about on your own won't necessarily make you a better rider, training will

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It's been about 4 weeks now that I've done the CBT. Yesterday I started training for the mod1 having not ridden a bike before. Did the slow riding etc not a problem but when I came to the slalom and the figure of 8 I struggled a bit. Dunno if going straight to DAS it's a good idea or persevere with the lessons.

Those two manoeuvres obviously involve turning the bike at slow speeds which can be a little unnerving the first few times. I wouldn't let it put you off doing the DAS as you get loads of practice on all the slow stuff during the week so you'll have it nailed by the end of the week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot of people struggle with one or other of the slow riding components on Mod1. I did (U turns :-( ) and I never thought I'd get the hang of it. But I did, and so did 1000 others. So don't sweat about it too much - it will come in time. Meanwhile these tips might (or might not) help

Keep your head up and look where you want to go; whatever you do, don't look at the cones!

Keep some light pressure on the back brake; this will help keep the bike steadier

For the figure of 8, you can ride as wide a circle as you like, so feel free to use all the space there is in the test / training area

All the best with it :thumb:. Once you;ve done Mod 1, the rest is all downhill.

ah the figure of 8 and I turn... hated by all who come across them!

wot Bonio said. head up DO NOT LOOK AT CONES :lol:

I turn?? I thought the lady's not for turning!*

* Soz. You're way too young to remember that one.

Those two manoeuvres obviously involve turning the bike at slow speeds which can be a little unnerving the first few times. I wouldn't let it put you off doing the DAS as you get loads of practice on all the slow stuff during the week so you'll have it nailed by the end of the week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know about others bike training companies but the one I'm with only gave me an hour training with these manoeuvres and I'm going back next week to do it again.

• 2 weeks later...

Went back for my further training. Nailed the slow speed and figure of 8 manoeuvres then went out on the roads for some high speed ride. Went well but apparently need to trust the bike abit more as I slowed down on national speed limit bends. I'm back out this weekend so hopefully nail that to so I can proceed to my high speed manoeuvres them my mod 1 test.

• 3 weeks later...
Bad luck, but don't let it get you down. You'll nail it next time, and more time on the bike with an instructor is always a good thing! :cheers:

I guess but I'm struggling to get time off work so don't know when I'll be able to fit another test in and my instructor says unless I use a cancellation the next test dates are mid May. :?

• 1 month later...