My training diary

Even though I am now on my third days training I thought id share my experience.

On the first day I got onto the bike and rode round the training yard, I said that the clutch control was not the best.

The next thing was we went for a ride.I felt it went rubbish, Thinking about everything and kept looking down to boot. The instructor was perfect though and spent time explaining things to me. We then went to the dvsa pad and watched the other student take his mod 1.

Unfortunately he hit the second cone on the slalom.

We then went to a motorcycle cafe and got a cup of tea. Then rode around town for the last couple of hours then went back to the yard.

The instructor told me I was where he thought I would be at this stage. The other lad went home and I stayed for an hour going round the yard stopping and starting.

DAY 2

I felt a little more at ease when I started but that soon fell away when I came off the bike not once but twice( in the training yard)

I was more worried about the bike but all was fine. The handlebar hit me in my chest when I went down and it still hurts now( feeling I have bruised something)

They got me to ride by myself round the yard for a while then off to the petrol station.

My riding was awful, nothing coherent about it whatsoever.

After that I started to calm down and it was getting a little better, Slow speed and clutch control are still an issue.

We then go and get a cup of tea at the motorccycle cafe and then head towards the dvsa mod 1 yard.

We had a walk round and then the lady went first. I must admit she was really good. Then my turn. On the slalom I hit the second cone so did it again and that was fine. It was then the figure of 8 which went ok. Slow riding went well(suprisingly) then the U turn. Nope not got that went to wide as I was scared I was going to fall off.

After a few more attempts we did the controlled braking which was fine. Then onto the emergency stop which I went through at 60kmph. Then 53kmph then 52kmph then 54kmph. I then did the swerve ok then the final time I hit 58kmph.

We then had to ride back to the training yard then we went on a scenic route for the last hour.

Still Still having trouble with the clutch control :oops:

If you're only in day two, I wouldn't get too caught up on clutch control as it's something that only comes with time on the bike. If you're doing the slalom, figure of 8 and high speed mod 1 manoeuvres then you're clearly progressing.

I nearly put a foot down on the u-turn in my mod 1, but gave it a little more power and let the bike take me round. Trick is to look where you want to end up, and don't even glance at the white line anywhere else, or that's where you'll go!

Good luck, and try to enjoy the process! :thumb:

DAY 3

Well what a crock of doo doo I was yesterday. Could not turn right for anything, I actually skimmed across a kerb trying to get round.

I was trying to keep the bike upright. This is going to be the sticking point If I cannot do this.

I have now resigned myself to the fact I am not going to pass this time. Im not to bothered to be honest but will have to buy a 125 to get some confidence into me.

DAY 4 D-DAY

Ok so this morning was the day of my mod 1 test. Not feeling confident I said it would be a training session.

Well I was still running wide on the right hand turns.

Got to the test centre and the lad I was with went first and did it without any minors.

Next up was my turn. The walking it into the bay was ok, Then I did the slalom and knocked over the second from last cone.

Then I did the figure of 8 and ended up going wide again turning right.

I did the slow ride ok then onto the U turn.

Again too wide. Did the controlled brake ok as was the emergency brake(58kmph) then swerve I did ok (50kmph)

Waiting at the end of the test centre, got let out then parked up. we did the talk outside rather than inside due to me wanting it to. The examiner was lovely and all in all im happy- I know it sounds strange but I know I can do it with a little more practice.

That is it for now but I am just going to be booking days training

Could not turn right for anything, I actually skimmed across a kerb trying to get round.

Sounds like you may be getting a bit of target fixation here? If you look at the kerb you're going to go straight towards them. You need to be looking down the road you are turning into and you should find you naturally then turn the bike round. It happens to us all - I found myself looking at a postbox in a hedge the other day before having to shout at myself that I needed to be going right and to look where I wanted to go :lol:

:thumb: good luck for the next one!

I must confess that it is a while since I did my training - in those days if you could avoid the dinosaurs they let you out on the road for real.

But the one thing I do remember is how detrimental it is to be tense on a bike. Easy to say but harder to do, it just takes time and that varies from person to person. But there comes a point when you stop being tense and then you discover that it's not as hard as you've been making it for yourself.

That's still true all through your riding career. If you tense up it's time to get off and have a break 'cos something's bugging you and you ain't riding right.

I must confess that it is a while since I did my training - in those days if you could avoid the dinosaurs they let you out on the road for real.

But the one thing I do remember is how detrimental it is to be tense on a bike. Easy to say but harder to do, it just takes time and that varies from person to person. But there comes a point when you stop being tense and then you discover that it's not as hard as you've been making it for yourself.

That's still true all through your riding career. If you tense up it's time to get off and have a break 'cos something's bugging you and you ain't riding right.

You are right about being tense. When I did my CBT I did not get a "pass" the first time. The following week I got through it no bother because I learned to relax. Previously my shoulders and arms were very tense and the instructor could see that. Once he got me to concentrate on relaxing it all became so much easier and I started enjoying the ride much more.

There's nothing wrong in needing a bit more training mate......better to iron out the wrinkles in your riding now, in a controlled environment, than later when you're out on the road on your own..... 8-)

Stick with it......It does all fall into place eventually..... :thumb:

It all comes with time, and muscle memory, when you do things automatically and you can pay full attention to other things like traffic.

It will come. Just keep practising!

• 2 weeks later...