A tale of woe (involving CBT,me And oversized gloves...

Been lurking on this forum since a few of my friends dragged me off to the Motorbike Show at the NEC in November. At 46 I considered myself too old to learn how to ride until I spoke to a biker who started when he was 60 (now 69). So I booked my CBT, bought the books, watched hours and hours of CBT instruction on YouTube and felt reasonably competent. Today was the day, so off I went with a mates old but serviceable gear; Jacket, trousers, gloves (I had my own lid). Started on a Duke 125, and really struggled with throttle/clutch control. Instructor suggested I try a MSX as it tended to be more forgiving for new riders. It was better, but I just kept stalling, over-revving even whilst braking. I was the only complete newbie and I felt at times that I just wanted a great big hole to open up in front of me and swallow me whole!

By lunchtime I couldn't tell my left from my right, which foot goes where etc and to save my own sanity I called it a day. I was nowhere near ready to go out on the road as my confidence was completely shot. Trudged back to the office and rebooked CBT for next Saturday (4th Feb) because I really enjoyed the morning, it just seemed my body was doing the opposite of what my brain wanted. Pulled off my gloves and the instructor said "are those not a bit big?" I said I don't know, they fit but I really struggled with fine control on the levers/throttle. He looked at the size, XXL Winter gloves and passed me a pair of gloves that fitted....well like a glove, which were a medium.

He asked if I wanted to carry on with proper sized gloves and I replied that my head was a mess (even more so now that I realised my mates gloves were completely unsuitable, my hands were moving within the gloves whilst riding so no wonder I had such poor control).

Moral of this story... get sized up for gloves before your CBT :oops: :oops: :oops:

Welcome to the forum. Don't get too down trodden by your first experience. Like learning clutch control on a car, clutch and throttle control on a bike does come with practise. It will just "click" at one point. But you are right, wrong sized gloves would have done you no favours!

Hope you have more luck next week!

Hello and welcome :)

That sounds stressful, I'm sure with better fitting gloves you'll have a much better chance though.

Don't worry, on my CBT I revved out of control and crashed the bike through a barrier :oops: also took me ages to realise you should hold onto the throttle not just release it :lol:

Good luck next Saturday, you'll be fine :thumb:

Don't worry mate! It's not easy when you're learning alongside others who've done it before. You'll smash it next time, you've got a head start because you know the controls and it won't take you long to feel at ease.

hello and welcome :cheers:

never too old to learn! glad you took that step, yeah annoying about the gloves but as you said no point continuing with your head not in the right space.

you'll smash it next week and start asking us what big bike you should get :wink: :lol:

I remember struggling with clutch control on my CBT and was out of control with the front wheel in the air at one point in the morning and totally knocked my confidence as I felt I was getting it up to that point. I took a 15 minute break to clear my head and carried on and got my CBT that same day.

Moral of the story is keep on trying as you'll soon click with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your not too old. I was 47 and like you a newbie. Booked my cbt two days after going to the nec bike show last year. Now taken My full test and waiting for my bike to arrive:-)

Clutch control with badly fitting gloves is going to be awkward. I'm sure with the right gear it will be fine. Just take it nice and slow and remember to enjoy it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Our instructor only had us on the Honda 125s for about 20 minutes, then he put us straight onto BMW GS700s and they were so much easier to ride. More stable, easier to modulate the throttle. Everything was just ‘better’ and easier.

On Saturday, complete with torrential rain and high wind but armed with new (fitting) gloves, I passed my CBT! Thank you all for your support. Now it's time to look at bikes/gear etc. :D