confidence boost

hi there can anyone help me i am doing a refresher course as i came off my Honda and lost confidence i am looking at a cruiser or a dirt style bike i am hoping to gain confidence to go for the mod 1 test i am so nervous to get back on a. bike any advice will be helpful but want this so much.

I know you will have read this everywhere. But staying relaxed, especially in your shoulders and arms make a load of difference when doing slow control stuff. Hold on to the bike with your legs if need be, but not your hands.

I end up singing silly songs when practicing, if I remember right I was singing "we all live in a yellow submarine" in my helmet while doing my MOD 1! it had a nice steady beat which I think helped.

Hi Sharon I'm sure there's someone near that could give you a hand :thumb:

hi spanner thank you very much . i have my instructor i passed my cbt with him only a year ago hes doing my refresher to try and get me back on a bike so nervous though

I know you will have read this everywhere. But staying relaxed, especially in your shoulders and arms make a load of difference when doing slow control stuff. Hold on to the bike with your legs if need be, but not your hands.

I end up singing silly songs when practicing, if I remember right I was singing "we all live in a yellow submarine" in my helmet while doing my MOD 1! it had a nice steady beat which I think helped.

hello arwen thankyou very much for this advice will try singing asong to myself i feel so nervous though i came off my honda at about 55mph and really want this

Hiya just a thought but at Preston brook they have a track for the battery powered mx bikes,no gears just twist and rip but believe me they can rip lol,it's a good day out and might give ya the feel and confidence your looking for without the pressure

Hiya just a thought but at Preston brook they have a track for the battery powered mx bikes,no gears just twist and rip but believe me they can rip lol,it's a good day out and might give ya the feel and confidence your looking for without the pressure

hello thankyou very much may be a good idea have booked a lesson for an hour at the end of the month so nervous though

Spend time around bikes just looking in show rooms sitting on bikes trying helmets gloves jackets ect you'll get so wrapped up in what you want (but can't always afford lol) you won't have time to be nervous

Spend time around bikes just looking in show rooms sitting on bikes trying helmets gloves jackets ect you'll get so wrapped up in what you want (but can't always afford lol) you won't have time to be nervous

hello again i am looking at bikes every weekend i have a jacket,helmet,gloves and boots no leather pants yet.i know which bikes i realy like just need that confidence boost and i hope to meet some bikers near home i could go out with on the roads.

Relax relax relax. That's all you can do. Go in wound up and panicking won't help.

Accidents happen, just remember why you wanted to ride, and how good you felt when it was going right.

Hopefully ten minutes in and you will be grinning like a loon and be fine. Keeping my fingers crossed for you, good luck and enjoy it. :D

Relax relax relax. That's all you can do. Go in wound up and panicking won't help.

Accidents happen, just remember why you wanted to ride, and how good you felt when it was going right.

Hopefully ten minutes in and you will be grinning like a loon and be fine. Keeping my fingers crossed for you, good luck and enjoy it. :D

hello thankyou very much your right i tried to get on abike but totally froze but i am definetely going to do this i love bikes and enjoyed riding until my accident but promise you i will get there somehow been going to bike shops like the cruiser and dirt style bikes too need confidence :D

I know what you mean, I've been riding 35 years and I had a prang around Christmas time. My own fault if I'm honest, wasn't paying attention and on an unfamiliar bike with shit brakes. My confidence has taken a big knock but I just take things one ride at a time in the knowledge that I'll eventually get back to a place where I'm actually a better rider than I was before it happened.There's no need to feel pressured, we all evolve at our own pace. Good luck!

It takes time, a friend was in similar situation. She felt like she started again we went for a few ride outs, on a couple of group ones she bailed out at beginning (we only told her of for not telling us she had bailed). One bail particularly when we where heading for "her road", I did not realise the first time. The next time we talked her through it, she took her time to build her confidence.

A few months and 3,000 miles later on her 125 she started for her test she did her Mod2 on a Tuesday she road to Scotland on the Thursday... It takes time, find a riding buddy that your happy to ride with and keep plugging away at some nice rides...

But dont delay getting on 2 wheels again, thats the hardest art...

I know what you mean, I've been riding 35 years and I had a prang around Christmas time. My own fault if I'm honest, wasn't paying attention and on an unfamiliar bike with shit brakes. My confidence has taken a big knock but I just take things one ride at a time in the knowledge that I'll eventually get back to a place where I'm actually a better rider than I was before it happened.There's no need to feel pressured, we all evolve at our own pace. Good luck!

i am so nervous of getting on abike but i will do it i love bikes this message will help me to build my confidence up were you hurt and thankyou

It takes time, a friend was in similar situation. She felt like she started again we went for a few ride outs, on a couple of group ones she bailed out at beginning (we only told her of for not telling us she had bailed). One bail particularly when we where heading for "her road", I did not realise the first time. The next time we talked her through it, she took her time to build her confidence.

A few months and 3,000 miles later on her 125 she started for her test she did her Mod2 on a Tuesday she road to Scotland on the Thursday... It takes time, find a riding buddy that your happy to ride with and keep plugging away at some nice rides...

But dont delay getting on 2 wheels again, thats the hardest art...

i will get there somehow i really want this and thanks so proud of your friend for riding all that way there is achance for me then

thanks so much for your advice i will do this i really want to ride again glad your ok though

i am so nervous of getting on abike but i will do it i love bikes this message will help me to build my confidence up were you hurt and thankyou

No I wasn't hurt too bad,it was such a cold day that I was wearing so much clothing I must have bounced. I did rip open the sleeve of a very nice sheepskin flying jacket though. Ideally I should have been wearing my armoured textile jacket but I've been on a diet and its like a tent on me now.I think I will always try to wear full armoured leathers this summer as this is a good confidence booster in itself.

hello again i am looking at bikes every weekend i have a jacket,helmet,gloves and boots no leather pants yet.i know which bikes i realy like just need that confidence boost and i hope to meet some bikers near home i could go out with on the roads.

Keep an eye on the northwest meets section will be posting a few rides as summer gets closer and j&s is the normal breakfast and brew before so just up the rd

I'll be in attendance to those when I can Goody :thumb:.

After you've done your refresher I'd advise just ride as much as possible, you'll always be wary of your mistakes for the first accident. However you'll not make the same mistake, you'll be a safer rider and the confidence will come back the more you get out on the bike :D. That's how it worked for me anyway after grabbing too much front on the 125 in greasy conditions, took me a while but I feel ok now :).

As someone still building confidence for the first time, lots of riding is definitely the answer for me.

Have found myself doing a lot of riding the last couple of weeks, and on the way in to work this morning had a sudden moment of thinking ”I'm noticeably better at this than I was a month ago”. It's a mix of bike handling skills and increasing road awareness which has given me more confidence, and it feels good!

Don't get me wrong - I'm no London motorbike courier weaving in and out, but I'm filtering in places I didn't a few weeks ago, and am notably more confident in corners and on roundabouts etc. Had a few moments on some of the twistier roads where I felt I really nailed a corner or two, which has given me even more desire to improve my riding and get more out of the whole experience.

No I wasn't hurt too bad,it was such a cold day that I was wearing so much clothing I must have bounced. I did rip open the sleeve of a very nice sheepskin flying jacket though. Ideally I should have been wearing my armoured textile jacket but I've been on a diet and its like a tent on me now.I think I will always try to wear full armoured leathers this summer as this is a good confidence booster in itself.

glad to hear that you were ok though i have booked my refresher now

As someone still building confidence for the first time, lots of riding is definitely the answer for me.

Have found myself doing a lot of riding the last couple of weeks, and on the way in to work this morning had a sudden moment of thinking ”I'm noticeably better at this than I was a month ago”. It's a mix of bike handling skills and increasing road awareness which has given me more confidence, and it feels good!

Don't get me wrong - I'm no London motorbike courier weaving in and out, but I'm filtering in places I didn't a few weeks ago, and am notably more confident in corners and on roundabouts etc. Had a few moments on some of the twistier roads where I felt I really nailed a corner or two, which has given me even more desire to improve my riding and get more out of the whole experience.

you are avery brave guy and also so confident i hope to be the same again soon :D

I'll be in attendance to those when I can Goody :thumb:.

After you've done your refresher I'd advise just ride as much as possible, you'll always be wary of your mistakes for the first accident. However you'll not make the same mistake, you'll be a safer rider and the confidence will come back the more you get out on the bike :D. That's how it worked for me anyway after grabbing too much front on the 125 in greasy conditions, took me a while but I feel ok now :).

i will take your advice and as soon as i get that confidence will be back out on the roads

Keep an eye on the northwest meets section will be posting a few rides as summer gets closer and j&s is the normal breakfast and brew before so just up the rd

hello i will look out for the meets and j&s not far from me sounds good :D

hello there thats good that you feel better riding have you been riding bikes for long