Newbie...kind of!

Hi All,

Background: Italian male, 41 year old, have been riding mopeds / 125s since I was 14 and 18 respectively. Got my car licence in Italy in 1994. Moved to the UK in 2002, Italian licence expired in 2014 therefore exchanged / renewed it for a UK one. So far so good. Pretty easy actually.

In 2015 I decided to purchase a scooter (small 125 to commute to work), called DVLA and got told that I needed to do a CBT and wear L plates. So I did without questioning it. Perhaps I should have?

The CBT lasts 2 years, so it expires on 3/4/17. I now want to get rid of the L plates and take an A2 license just to ride my current scooter and a potential new one (300cc or maybe 400cc). So not really a proper motorbike...but I still need your help.

It seems strange that I have to go through all this hassle (CBT + L plates) when, under my old Italian licence, in the UK, I was able to ride a 125 without a CBT and L plates. Why, upon exchanging my Italian licence for a UK licence, do I need to do a CBT and use L plates? What's has changed?

My exchanged licence has nothing written under A1 or A2, and the customary 79(3) under A.

If this correct? Is it really either renew my CBT for another 2 years or take the A2? All seems very strange to me (as I was able to ride a 125 bike during my first 12 months - theoretically - without any CBT under the Italian licence.

If anything I would have expected my licence to be converted to an A1? (Which has similar requirements to a 125cc scooter).

Any help appreciated.

Manny

Welcome to TMBF mate. ........ 8-)

Yep.....you need to do the CBT to ride a 125 with L-plates.....irrespective of holding a car license.......and yes, the CBT needs renewing every 2 years, unless you pass your bike test before the 2 years is up........no shortcuts I'm afraid. ...... :wink:

Thanks Tango for the prompt reply!

I will go for the A2 then, repeating the CBT seems a bit wasteful...

I will read the dedicated sections properly, but a few random questions first:

1) Re the Mod 1 and Mod 2 tests, do I need to pay for an instructor or is it possible to do without? I can ride well. I am only interested in an A2 licence for automatic bikes (i.e. Scooters). I could take the test on my current bike (Piaggio Medley 125). Booking system seems pretty easy on the DVLA website.

2) the theory test seems pretty easy (if you already have a car driving licence and remember most of the rules / use common sense). Have I missed anything? Again! The DVLA website seems easy enough to register for one.

3) Do I need a valid CBT while doing the theory and Mod 1 / Mod 2 tests? My CBt expires in 2 weeks, timeline seems a bit tight meaning I might have to do another CBT and then the A2...?

Thanks again!

Manny

1) Re the Mod 1 and Mod 2 tests, do I need to pay for an instructor or is it possible to do without? I can ride well. I am only interested in an A2 licence for automatic bikes (i.e. Scooters). I could take the test on my current bike (Piaggio Medley 125). Booking system seems pretty easy on the DVLA website.

2) the theory test seems pretty easy (if you already have a car driving licence and remember most of the rules / use common sense). Have I missed anything? Again! The DVLA website seems easy enough to register for one.

3) Do I need a valid CBT while doing the theory and Mod 1 / Mod 2 tests? My CBt expires in 2 weeks, timeline seems a bit tight meaning I might have to do another CBT and then the A2...?

Thanks again!

Manny

Hello.

1. You do not need to pay for instructor. You can just book your Module 1 and when you pass this one, Module 2 straight with the "examiner".

2.Theory is theory. It was easy for me but better prepare yourself by getting a DVD with questions to practice at home. I did it, it was a massive help as questions were not much different on the actual exam and I passed it first time.

3. Yes you do need a valid CBT to be able to start your MOD1 and 2 test.

I would do another CBT to buy myself some more time and not make hasty decision on the bike test.However if you are feeling strong enough then do it before your CBT expires.

:D

Thanks again!

Manny

Also, if you do the mod 1 and 2 on your current scooter, you will only have an A1 licence and therefore restricted to riding nothing bigger that a 125.

Thanks again!

Manny

Also, if you do the mod 1 and 2 on your current scooter, you will only have an A1 licence and therefore restricted to riding nothing bigger that a 125.

Thanks, I didn't know about this. How do people generally do Mod1/2 for an A2? (As in which bike can I use on test day?)

People typically do a days training on a schools bike then use the same bike for their test.

Thanks. So in my case I have to do 1 day's training...I will contact a couple of local companies and ask if I can use their bike for the actual test, and the associated logistics.

Thanks all for the useful advice!