Second thoughts...

I got a Keeway Superlight LTD 125 at weekend and so far it's not going well... I know that I've only had it a few days but it feels like I'm never going to get use to it. Ever time I stop I stall and I'm never in first when I think I am and stall again, even though I hit the gear down a good few times each time. I've only practiced on back streets so far as I'm far too nervous to go on the main roads, but it's been pretty dangerous a few times (Not stopping in time at a busy junction, stalling a few times in the middle of a busy road).

My question is, should I swap to a sports bike (Something similar to what I did my CBT on 2 months ago) or just give up now? I've been saving for the past year for this so don't want to just give up but it feels like I'm never going to get use to it and can't afford to pay for the bike and bus passes each week.

Please help!!!

Practice is the key, try taking it to an empty car park or somewhere devoid of any other traffic and just ride it round and round stopping and starting over and over again. Confidence is a big thing when you're starting out and if you're struggling then you need to build confidence in both the bike and yourself.

Don't give up though, with a couple of weeks of practice you will get much better.

You can always book a couple of lessons with a local riding school where you can use your own bike instead of one of theirs, extra tuition is never a bad thing don't be embarrassed about going back for lessons, many do it and the benefits are well worth it.

Forward controls can't be helping if you're not used to them. If you are going to sell it I wouldn't hang around because these bikes rust and rot fast.

Welcome to TMBF mate. ....... 8-)

Is the bike brand new or secondhand? A poorly adjusted chain can cause gear change problems.......also if the clutch is misadjusted you'll get problems with stalling and bad gear changes, particularly if the clutch is dragging..... :wink: check the bike out and adjust as necessary....... 8-)

I'm a very new rider as well, I passed CBT in January but only got a bike 2 weeks ago, I got a lexmoto xtrs 125. The first few times I took it out I was terrible, stalling it and very jerky gear changes but all of a sudden it just clicked. I got my mate to check it over and he adjusted the chain and it made a huge difference gears are a lot smoother I'm now more confident. Keep at it and you'll all of a sudden get it. I went out at 7am on a sunday morning and rode and round tesco car park practising stopping and starting smoothly and treating it like a road. Don't give up, I'm by no means a good rider but I feel a lot safer on the road. Don't rush things don't worry about holding people up.

Welcome to TMBF mate. ....... 8-)

Is the bike brand new or secondhand? A poorly adjusted chain can cause gear change problems.......also if the clutch is misadjusted you'll get problems with stalling and bad gear changes, particularly if the clutch is dragging..... :wink: check the bike out and adjust as necessary....... 8-)

Brand new. Well pre-reg anyway. Not sure how to do anything with it tbh, complete novice... My friend suggested a sports bike instead, problem is finding one I like that they have at the dealership. Not got long to decide if I want to stop the insurance though :\ Do you reckon I'd be able to get use to it easy enough? Don't want to have wasted all this time and money but also don't want to cause an accident :\

I'm a very new rider as well, I passed CBT in January but only got a bike 2 weeks ago, I got a lexmoto xtrs 125. The first few times I took it out I was terrible, stalling it and very jerky gear changes but all of a sudden it just clicked. I got my mate to check it over and he adjusted the chain and it made a huge difference gears are a lot smoother I'm now more confident. Keep at it and you'll all of a sudden get it. I went out at 7am on a sunday morning and rode and round tesco car park practising stopping and starting smoothly and treating it like a road. Don't give up, I'm by no means a good rider but I feel a lot safer on the road. Don't rush things don't worry about holding people up.

Your situation sounds exactly like mine! Also passed in Jan, it's just getting anywhere to practice as I'm still nervous on the roads... I did my CBT at bowlee which is usually pretty quiet. Planning on going up early at weekend and beating the traffic... Fingers crossed!!

Your situation sounds exactly like mine! Also passed in Jan, it's just getting anywhere to practice as I'm still nervous on the roads... I did my CBT at bowlee which is usually pretty quiet. Planning on going up early at weekend and beating the traffic... Fingers crossed!!

Sunday mornings are brilliant, Sunday just gone I went out at 7am and did a 2 hour ride round and only other people I saw on road where bikers

Has the superlight had it's first service yet? I think it's around 600km but could be wrong. Until it's had that first service, the engine is very sluggish and the gears are a PITA.

Once its been done it will feel like a different bike. Specially the gears.

It's a big bike for a 125 so isn't for stopping as quickly as a sports type bike.

I bought one brand new, road it for a few months then did my DAS. My friend bought it off me and rides it a lot. No signs of rust and besides a puncture, no problems.

Stick with it, it’ll come. As suggested above go to a quiet car park and just practice starting, stopping and going round in circles. Where are you, I’m sure you could find someone local to you to give you a bit of encouragement and advice.

I got a Keeway Superlight LTD 125 at weekend and so far it's not going well... I know that I've only had it a few days but it feels like I'm never going to get use to it. Ever time I stop I stall and I'm never in first when I think I am and stall again, even though I hit the gear down a good few times each time. I've only practiced on back streets so far as I'm far too nervous to go on the main roads, but it's been pretty dangerous a few times (Not stopping in time at a busy junction, stalling a few times in the middle of a busy road).

My question is, should I swap to a sports bike (Something similar to what I did my CBT on 2 months ago) or just give up now? I've been saving for the past year for this so don't want to just give up but it feels like I'm never going to get use to it and can't afford to pay for the bike and bus passes each week.

Please help!!!

If you decided to get a bike because it's cheaper than a public transport...then we have nothing in common. But if there are other reasons then... Do not give up on riding but I would exchange your current bike to something better not necessarily bigger/faster :thumb:

However, I have found that bigger cc bikes rides heavens easier, smoother...quicker 8-) etc But safer to us all is to find fast/experience rider on a small cc bike than inexperience rider on a big cc bike. I don't know if bikes are for you, do you ? Don't force yourself to like something because it's convenient. When you like something that much then you will practice, not give up and make space in your life no matter what. Pleasure only cost when you are materialistic. Aaaaanyway, at this moment I have some options for you:

1.Not giving up, keep practising on a better bike,

2.Renewing your bus pass,

3.Cycle to work,

4.Finding work from home.

Your life, your choice.

:D

Nothing wrong with getting a bike to avoid the hassle and costs of public transport, although I have to say that buying a Chinese bike does sound like both of those would be somewhat counterproductive.

As has been stated before though, it is your decision of course. I can tell you that it's very few who are so naturally bikers that they didn't suffer from any nerves, anxiety, excitement, all mixed into an odd feeling when they started riding. I hadn't ridden for about 20 years until recently, and even tho I'm now out most days on the bike, it's still hard to,wipe the grin off my face, but i did have a little trepidation when I went to take the CBT.

Fairly sure thats all very normal and I would imagine if you keep doing what you're doing, I.e. Practising and gently nudging your comfort zone regularly then you'll come to love it too. Good luck :cheers:

P.s. I await the defenders of Chinese bikes with excited anticipation :booty: ;)

You can always book a couple of lessons with a local riding school where you can use your own bike instead of one of theirs, extra tuition is never a bad thing don't be embarrassed about going back for lessons, many do it and the benefits are well worth it.

worth repeating.. and enlarging for extra emphasis.

Ever time I stop I stall and I'm never in first when I think I am and stall again, even though I hit the gear down a good few times each time.

So come down the gears one at a time so by the time you come to a stop you can be certain you are in first gear.

Ever time I stop I stall and I'm never in first when I think I am and stall again, even though I hit the gear down a good few times each time.

Roll back and forward a little, sometimes when you are stationary and change gear it does not fully engage so it may feel like it will not go down any further even if there are more gears. One way to tell if this is the case is to try and find neutral, it will obviously not be there. Rolling the bike forward will engage the gear and allow you to click down further.

Obviously though you want to go down the gears whilst stopping, so that you stop in second at most so should be able to click down to first without needing any help.

So also practice starting in second gear by keeping the revs up and releasing the clutch more slowly. When it all becomes instinctive you should find you will usually be able to start in either gear, and you will only realize you were still in second because the bike will feel sluggish. You then get to both feel like an idiot for being in the wrong gear, but proud of still being able to control the bike and not stall!

Sunday mornings are brilliant, Sunday just gone I went out at 7am and did a 2 hour ride round and only other people I saw on road where bikers

I too began by getting up at dawn on the weekends to practice on quiet roads and it was great for that. The problem is it then becomes difficult to stop getting up early as it is just so much nicer out then with so little traffic around.

Gonna stick with it, not a chance in hell I'm giving up at the first hurdle. Been out tonight and feel a little better about it, let's hope it stays this way! Thank you guys!

That's the right attitude....... :thumb:

stick with it! as said not many people are natural riders it takes a lot of practise. I had cruiser style 125 when I did my CBT and it took some getting used to but once you get it they are a lot of fun :mrgreen: heck I rode it the other week as my ninja is sick and had a blast. don't try and think I'm never going to stall as being nervous will make everything more difficult, aim for one or two perfect get aways then build it up.

oh and don't worry about the odd blip we all try to pull away in God knows what gear occassionally :lol:

Go find a carpark (supermarket is ideal) on a sunday evening and just ride around. I did that when I got my bike. Doing figure of 8's, slalom, emergency stops. slow riding etc just to boost my confidence a bit.

Go find a carpark (supermarket is ideal) on a sunday evening and just ride around. I did that when I got my bike. Doing figure of 8's, slalom, emergency stops. slow riding etc just to boost my confidence a bit.

I did this in a local sports field car park. Even marked out some MOD 1 test marking with chalk. I think the locals thought I was mad.