I do see where the OP is coming from. I was in a similar situation in 2009 and fortunate that then you could still rock up on your 125 (over 24 years of age), pass MOD 1 and 2 and then 2 years down the line you could ride anything you like whilst in the mean time ride pretty much any 600cc bike (restricted) I too could not afford the DAS training at the time but wanted rid of the L plates.

I had about 1 year of riding around on my 125 at the time and 6 years car driving, I passed MOD 1 second time round after practicing myself in car parks and MOD 2 first time round. I also sold the 125 new Varadero I had on finance and used the 1k remaining to get a 600 hornet.

So you can do it but its harder these days as cant do the route I did. There is plenty of learning material out there and youtube is your friend. However given the choice and finances, I would choose professional training rather than going on your own, its going to be better option in the long term.

• 4 weeks later...

The theory test only costs £23. I agree with the others regarding using a training school bike that way you are covered with insurance etc. However, if you can't get it booked in before your theory test runs out, it doesn't cost a lot to do it again.