Mod 2 easier than Mod 1, truth please?

Hi everyone

I've been through the Mod 1 twice (failed the first time on the avoidance by hitting the dreaded cone!). What really frightens me is the Mod 2! Test situation with a guy following me observing my every move makes me feel terrified.

I've been out on training today and it was good at the end when I got a bit more confident but I get so nervous thinking about the actual test that I'll balls it up by doing a stupid mistake.

Any tips gratefully received - please!

Ah the dreaded cone. I did the same thing; I'd never hit any cones in practice, but come the test I managed to clip it, and ker-Chinese. Game over.

The truth is that Mod 2 is easier than Mod 1 :thumb: It's really about relaxing and riding as you normally do; just pay attention to cancelling those indicators :wink:

Do you have a date booked yet for the test?

Mod 1 is a test of control, in a test environment, with an examinaer watching you with a clip board in hand.

Mod 2 is a ride around your local area for 40, with some guy behind you giving directions.

Mod 2 can feel completely different if you want it too. I simply treated is as another lesson, only with a different instructor behind me.

I found Mod2 easier, but I don't suffer from exam nerves.

Well I failed MOD 1 four times but passed MOD 2 first time. No matter how hard I seemed to try I couldn't avoid that cone on the swerve. MOD 2 is just like riding with a sat nav, easy. :wink:

I found MOD1 a lot harder than MOD2, the slow manouvers I enjoyed it was the fast ones that scared me.

I failed MOD1 twice, passed on the third go.

MOD2 was literally just a nice ride around. Turn left here. Straight ahead here. Pull up there. Move on when your ready.

So keep checking your blind sports and you should be good to go

MOD 1 is more tricky than MOD2. I passed MOD1 first time with no minors - but it was still challenging and made me sweat! I found the key to it was remaining calm. Talk to the examiner - as him to clarify things if you're uncertain. keep you revs and your head up and remember what your teacher taught you. Think about being really positive on the steering input. for the swerve, sit upright and give the handle bar a good push and use countersteering to get round that cone, you should never clip it!

Additionally, enjoy riding on that tarmac. nowhere else in the UK is there tarmac smoother than a MOD 1 test center!

my mod 2 flew by! thought I'd failed as it only felt like I was out for 10 mins not the actual 30 or whatever it was :lol: fun little jolly out! lifesavers, stick to speed limits, don't hit anything and you'll be fine!

At the time both seemed as bad as each other i.e. a complete nightmare. looking back now though I was far more confident/at ease with the MOD 1. MOD2 definitely worse for me. I passed both first time though so can't grumble. Was a little concerned when the examiner kept telling me to speed up, make sure you keep to speed limit and make progress.

Thanks everyone for your advice and experiences. I found Mod 1 scary (at the time!) and I will most certainly find Mod 2 (17th May) equally, if not more scary. Thing is, I'm not that great with observation of speed limits. I usually drive in my usual areas and the thought of being in different, unfamiliar places where speed limits are random and not where I know they are, gives me the shudders! Then there's the fear of dropping the bike. I know I'm pounding pretty negative which is why I need to think positive. I can do this!

OH shit, I think I'm going to need lots of Rescue Remedy which I used on Mod 1 and it helped. This time, however, is a different story!

I admit the avoidance really scared me on Mod 1 because turning the handlebars sharply to avoid the cones went against my instinct to not turn the handlebars but when I thought about the maneuver being like a ride in the fair (like having fun going around a sharp bend!) it really helped change my perspective of it making into a fun thing not a terrifying one. That's my tip for Mod 1 anyway!

I WILL GET THERE - I WILL!

Thanks again :)

Edited by Paulapotch

Thing is, I'm not that great with observation of speed limits.

I wasn't great so I made it a game every time I rode or walked or went on the bus of *jingly jangly music* WHAT'S THAT SPEED LIMIT!!

everytime you turn down a new road check for signs, everytime youre on a long road look for repeaters. after a while you start seeing them without realising.

Thing is, I'm not that great with observation of speed limits.

I wasn't great so I made it a game every time I rode or walked or went on the bus of *jingly jangly music* WHAT'S THAT SPEED LIMIT!!

everytime you turn down a new road check for signs, everytime youre on a long road look for repeaters. after a while you start seeing them without realising.

This is brilliant advice. Think about it constantly wherever you go and it becomes habit. For me mod 2 was much easier, just had to ride well, lots of observation, you'll be fine.

I have to admit. Since I've started learning to ride I've become a lot more aware of what's around me in my car, actually keeping up with my observations and especially with bikers in particular.

I have come to respect them in a different light now and that's a great thing.

It is also great to know that I'm not the only one who has the dreaded nerves. When doing something like this you feel like you're the only one going through it but It's great to read these tribulations of success!

Thank you again for your replies :)

I found Rescue Remedy great for Mod 1. It took the edge off but I'm overthinking things for Mod 2. I think It's because It's the last leg and that's it. There's a lot riding on this one. Hate test situations!

I'll still pop the Rescue Remedy like water until I'm done though lol. Thank you all ;)

Hey all. Just an update. Did Mod 2 today and PASSED! I had 6 minor faults but it's a pass and I'm so happy that I don't have to go through that part of the process again! A pass is a pass after all :) I'm waiting for my other half to get his Fazer 600 back on the road (It's currently in the garage getting it road worthy as we speak!) I have to see if I can actually reach the floor first or maybe I'll need to get it lowered but I'm still on a high. Thanks everyone for your help and tips :thumb: xx

I really am so so excited I've passed. When I actually get on the Fazer or whatever bike I finally get my but on, I will update here. Thank you all for your advice, help and encouragement. You're all fantastic. I feel that bikers get a bad name but I know different. You are all great :thumb: X