Examiner completely out of order - MOD 1. FAILED. Has anyone been in similar situation?

hi all,

I have been car driving for the past 15 years or so; recently have decided

to pursue full A category via DAS. Have done some training practice for 2

days with a great school in Leicester using MT07 bike. Great laugh and

banter.

However, examiner in Leicester Wigston has failed my MOD 1 test by

marking me down on driving to fast on slalom and figure of eight (2 rider

faults). Actual speed was 4-5mph during exercise. Last rider fault I was

marked down for driving to fast on slow control. Actual speed was 3-4mph.

3 rider faults resulted in serious fail.

My instructor wasn't able to believe the result as I was riding real well; and

according to him; my speed during maneuvers was acceptable if not

perfect. I had good control of the bike at all times. Completed all exercises

with correct observations, adequate speed during fast maneuvers, etc.

I have approached DVSA helpline and their "senior examiner team"have

confirmed that slalom and figure of 8 can not be failed based on speed. Full

control of the bike is what required.

Did anyone have any similar experiences where examiner marked you down to fail you deliberately?

They have a quota to fulfil.

The best you can do is complain officially and if successful you will get a free retest.

Unfortunately the examiners decision is final and can't be overturned.

(I used to be a driving instructor)

What if the whole world farted at once?

Ive said it before but i think tests should be filmed with head cams so that the examiner can show you what went wrong. Not only is it evidence of what they are failing you for but it can also be used in the debrief along with constructive criticism to help the person being tested.

It should also stop any false claims from examiners if this is something they practice.

Do they really, Deso?? :shock: I'd imagined that was a myth put about disenchanted examinees.

[mention]Keenrider[/mention] Never of heard of failing for being too fast on the slow manoeuvres; sounds really rough. I'd put a complaint in, even if all you get out of it is a free retest.

When I took my mod 1 the other lad I had done my training with failed for going too fast on the slow ride (maneuver before U turn).

He went a bit too fast and you could tell as the examiner was walking behind and he was pulling away from him. Our teaching instructor said straight away it was too fast. He was given s second attempt but was too fast again. Shame as the rest of his ride was perfect.

I wasnt provided with a luxury of trying again :) From what me and my instructor said, I was marked to fail.

Action camera is on order :) will use it next time I do MOD 1. Apparently "external facing" cameras are allowed by DVSA.

Our instructor was surprised he got a second chance at the slow ride before continuing to the u turn.

Anyway, all the best for next time

Who told you that?

The examiners I deal with are quite adamant that they want to pass people simply to avoid the paperwork that goes with faling someone.

But similar to when I am examining someone, it can be very subjective as to whether someone has attained the required standards, the difference is I have t do the paperworj regardless of whether the rider passes or fails.

In this case if the test was observed by the instructor, then the instructor should take it up and make an assist the OP make an official complaint. The procedure is quite straightforward.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I hit 55 through the swerve on my mod 1 training and my instructor told me " hey that's fast enough" .so it seems you can go to fast?. I think its really harsh to fail you an a mistake in a manoeuvre you have probably done correctly dozens of times before. why only give you one stab at it?. if you balls it up surely the correct way deal with it is for the examiner to ask you ( hey wot the f**k happened then) ask you what went wrong and if you understand how to correct it, if you do then you should be allowed to do it again if you balls it up on the second attempt then obviously you should be binned. these testers must understand a lot of guys are bricking it during these tests and must take that into consideration , thus offering a second chance. if you make a mistake but instantly realise what contributed and caused that mistake then in my opinion you should be given a second chance . passing a test on the day don't make you experienced and competent at anything. it just means you have met the required standard on that day.