Taking your test

Hi All,

I took and passed my CBT in October 2016 and am investigating taking my full test at some point I just wanted to confirm that if I take the full test but fail can I still drive with the CBT until the 2 years expires?

Any help and advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Phew!

That's slightly more re-assuring. I mean I don't want to have to take it lots of times but its one less thing to worry about.

For those who've taken it before (within the last year ideally) how difficult is it? I mean I've been driving for 8 months. I've done fairly long distances but haven't done dual carriageways and am still getting to grips with speeds.

The mod1 is known as "the difficult one". I think nerves are the killer, because it's easy to go round some cones and do a u-turn in practise but the sight of a clip board gives you enough of a wobble to make it tricksy! Keep your head up and good clutch control and jobs a goodun.

Mod2, stick to speed limits, lifesavers lifesavers lifesavers and don't hit anything and you should be fine :lol:

The first time you get on the bigger bike and feel the acceleration it will be terrifying :lol: but soon becomes easier going at NSL as the bike is more stable than a smaller 125, and you're not subjected to as much wind buffering.

I passed mine in Feb! With a good instructor it's a doddle, it's a bit nerve wrecking but if you can control the nerves you'll have no problem at all! Don't worry about speed, that will come eventually and feel normal as you get a little experience :).

You'll still be able to do your test and fail and ride with your valid CBT

I passed mine in July last year. I failed the mod 1 because I was 1 so ill but didn't want to sit at home after I paid for it. And 2 Failed on emergency brake. It's not hard if you have good instructors and just get your nerves out of the way and you'll do fine.

Mod 2 I passed first time. Lifesavers Lifesavers and Lifesavers. Keep to speed limits listen to what examiner say and if you miss a turn just keep going. He'll get you back on track.

With a good training school and/or instructor the whole process is simple. It's nerves when the word "test" is mentioned that can make a fail.

I passed my mod 2 last week.

I was most worried about mod 1, which I passed first time. I took a deep breath and relaxed between each maneuver. Take your time and don't rush into each part of the test.

Mod 2 I wasn't worried too much about. However I failed first time. I had a great ride with a clean sheet until I made a silly mistake 500m away from the test centre. I'd left an indicator on and at the next mini roundabout I was going straight on. However a car thought I was turning and pulled out on me. Instant fail for a serious fault.

Retest last week and got a clean sheet.

As said life savers, speed limits, don't hit anything and make sure your indicators cancelled and you'll be fine.

If you still haven't passed after 2 years, you can just do another CBT.

Personally I think that needs changing to force all the commuters on mopeds and 125's to pass a test and stop treating it as a bicycle with an engine. Some people just do a CBT every 2 years and never have any intention of passing a test. L plates are supposed to be for learners, not lifelong commuters.

I did my CBT in 1992, it had only been in force a bit over a year, and back then if you hadn't passed your test within 2 years, you were off the road for 2 years before you had to start again with another CBT. Back then though the test was a ride round the town centre while the examiner followed you on foot. There was no U turn on the test, you learned how to do that yourself through necessity. The emergency stop was them jumping out from behind a bus stop and holding up the clipboard. :lol: