or more specifically the damned Hazard Perception test. I score 43 but 44 minium required.

I have driven lots of vehicles in my life. Cars, vans, lorries, train, even a tank and I failed the poxy hazard perception test grrr.

Done online practices, bought and downloaded the DVSA apps on my ipad but forgot to take my bucket full of luck apparently!

Sitting it again early next month

If you're a regular road user you were probably clicking on the hazards too soon, it sounds daft but it won't register as a hit if you're too quick on the button, take your time with them and give them a second or two after you see them before you hit the button.

• 2 weeks later...

Hard luck. It is a stupid test and as any fule kno, harder for experienced drivers than for beginners.

I have had to take mine twice (owing to being such a slow learner that I've had to repeat my CBT too) and the practice sessions were simply disheartening. On my second attempt, I had a question discounted and scored zero for clicking 'inappropriately'. Thank goodness this was the last question of the test, because if that notice had come up earlier I would have simply gone to pieces.

I still passed, so for anybody reading this, it's worth remembering that you can have an answer thrown out and still pass as long as you score enough in the others, so don't panic if the 'you will score zero for this clip' notice comes up during the test and don't let it put you off.

Brendan is on the ball on this one.

When the video is put together, the examiners mark out a small window of time from the period when then the hazard is developing, and you have to get a click into that time slot to score. A click done too soon scores nothing, and one that's too late - well that's obvious. And to stop you just clicking randomly, too many clicks and you get 0 points.

If you're an experienced driver then you're probably spotting the hazards quickly and clicking before the time window has started. So the trick is to make a second click one second after your first, and you're chance of hitting the window is a lot higher. But just one extra click, no more, to avoid getting disqualified for too many clicks.

So the trick is to make a second click one second after your first, and you're chance of hitting the window is a lot higher. But just one extra click, no more, to avoid getting disqualified for too many clicks.

Bang on advice, I used this myself recently for my theory test and passed it with a decent mark on HP. I did actually throw 2/3 extra clicks in though. But I didn't really click at all over than for the one developing hazard. Its important to remember not to click for EVERY hazard, because you'd be clicking all the way through, you need to identify and anticipate the ones that are developing.

Example, I had one that started off with a clear view of a road and side street on the left (also clear) as soon as the video started I was anticipating something appearing in the left side street and as soon as it did I clicked, then I'd click again, then maybe a 3rd as well. But then unless I really felt that it was necessary I didn't click again until the next video.

• 2 weeks later...

Yay I passed even though I completely failed to click in one Hazard Perception clip.

The odd thing is I was convinced I failed yet passed, the last time I was convinced I passed yet failed.

I so hate that HP

It's a right joke! With that in mind, nice work passing it :thumb:

Main thing that baffled me about it was the video itself - I swear blind that in every one of mine, the vehicle in front was a bike. Do the DVLA realise that riding a bike does not by default mean that I will always be riding exclusively among other bikes? :lol:

Well done on the pass!

I remember missing a hazard completely because I was too busy laughing at how badly the sheep were animated :roll: :lol:

Well done on the pass!

I remember missing a hazard completely because I was too busy laughing at how badly the sheep were animated :roll: :lol:

I had a video that had a Dalmation and thought the exact same thing lol

I think CGI is probably more appropriate term, its real life video with a CGI/animated overlay if you like.

Apparently I was one of the first to take the test with the new clips !

An example here -https://www.gov.uk/government/news/hazard-perception-clips-get-a-modern-makeover

But no sheep :-( just a man painting a fence.