Training question

Hello all, first post here, bear with me!

I had a taster session on my first geared bike at the weekend and took to it pretty well. Completed lots of maneuvers and handled it relatively well and the trainer was pleased with my ability despite the massive gap between now and my moped days 13+ years ago. So my CBT is booked for July and my DAS is booked for middle of September. Theory also booked for this Saturday.

My question is, in between my CBT and the DAS starting (just over 2 months) is it worth getting a very cheap 125 to get some additional practice in to give me a head start or just go in fresh to my DAS 2 months after my CBT?

I appreciate buying a second, third or even tenth hand bike for the sake of 2 months experience is probably a waste of money but could the time be beneficial? Would really appreciate your honest opinions and advice. My experience is twist and go only for about 2 years over 10 years ago, been a car driver for the past 13 years.

Thanks in advance

Dan

I had a similar break inbetween cbt and das (3 months) without anything to ride and it was fine so personally I wouldn't bother unless you like buying and selling second hand and fancying about with insurance and the like.

I have just passed my direct access 15/06/2017.

The way I did it was. I did my cbt nigh on 2 years ago. I then decided not to do it. Late last year I wanted to do it.

January I was booked in for 4 days training inc test.

I fell off the training bike twice and lost my bottle.

I failed my mod 1 and then decided to buy a 125.

I bought my 125 and then went out with my father for a few months.

Once back into it I started using the training bike again then did mod 1 no minors and mod 2 3 minors.

The 125 helped me immensly but I am in no way a natural rider.

Do what you feel safe with.

All the best Thomas

• 2 weeks later...

Afternoon!

Have you had your CBT yet? If so, how did it go?!

It sounds like you're in a pretty strong position seeing as you've both ridden and driven cars in the past. I think firstly it depends how you define cheap, I wrote a piece on some cheap 125cc options I would recommend - https://www.rideto.com/blog/10-motorcycles-you-can-ride-on-a-cbt-licence

The value should hold if you do decide to buy, but it is a lot of hassle and upfront costs for such a short amount of time.

The extra time will probably help your confidence as much as anything so what I'd probably suggest if it's just for a couple of months is renting. I'm assuming you're in the UK? You can rent a 125cc for only about £80 a month which is pretty epic. Maybe try looking through igo-wego.com.

Let me know how it goes with the tests, always good to see more riders on the road!

Matt - Rideto.com

The extra time will probably help your confidence as much as anything so what I'd probably suggest if it's just for a couple of months is renting. I'm assuming you're in the UK? You can rent a 125cc for only about £80 a month which is pretty epic. Maybe try looking through igo-wego.com.

Sounded interesting, but on closer inspection it looks like it's £80-£100 a week, not a month.

The "keep it in tip top condition" part would scare me as a learner... If I drop it would I get hammered with fees?

I think I'd rather pay the cash up front and know that I can't be hammered with random fees at the end. I'd be terrified to ride it in case it ended up in less than tip-top condition :P