Another one about to finally get themselves fully licensed up.

Currently riding around at the moment after completing my second CBT in February.

Theory test completed a few months ago.

I had hoped to be fully licensed up but other commitments got in the way in the intervening period therefore second CBT.

Conversion lesson on Wednesday and then a few lessons to get to test standard for Mod 1 & Mod 2.

Once I pass in theory looking to potentially get a CB500X or Versys 650.

Although that may change after a test ride etc.

Current bike is a Honda CB125F.

I want the full licence to be rid of the "L Plates".

Looking to purchase around Mar 2018 for two reasons.

1) Don't want to get used to a new motorcycle during the winter months although managed through last winter in Dundee with the 125.

2) Rather purchase outright or with a minimal monthly payment such as £40 a month due to paying off most of the new bike with the sizable deposit.

Although that may change after experiencing bigger bike.

Hello, and welcome to the forum!

Good luck with the tests, what school are you going with?

Still plenty of time before winter kicks in for you to get a bike now. So long as you coat it in acf 50 or such it should be fine.

There can be great deals on used or exdemo bikes in the next few months too so what you might save up over winter, you might not actually have to pay if you buy now.

Going with Dundee Motorcycle Training due to being about five minutes away from their site.

Pretty much have enough now to purchase either bike with what I have saved and will get from when I sell the 125.

Also understand that Ex-Demo and previous years versions of bikes are discounted.

Have not used ACF50 but used FS365 through last winter with decent results considering the salt etc.

Although that could also be down to giving the bike a quick clean after returning home after each use.

Might purchase ACF50 as it's an inexpensive outlay if it works.

That's the conversion lesson out the way.

I was a bit apprehensive to begin with due to the additional weight, more powerful engine, clutch and brakes.

Towards the end was loosening up more meaning I was finding it easier to carry out the requested exercises.

Never got out onto the road today as my nerves and tension sort of made me take a bit longer to pick up things.

Although instructor at end of lesson suggested I'm road-ready for next week's lesson.

Leaving the site after the lesson it was quite apparent how much lighter my 125 is.

It felt like a bicycle in comparison.

Well done, you got a nice day for it! what bikes are DMT using now?

I done my training with Scot Riders and GMTS, both of which have just got new school bikes this year which are much lighter than their old ones.

I was on an older red Yamaha Diversion which I believe is the 600cc variant.

I never really noticed what makes the other bikes were due to concentrating on what I was doing.

Not the newest of stock but as long as their usable, road safe it's not an issue.

Worry about something new and shiny when I pass my test.

I know Scotriders have new WK650i for bigger bikes.

I done my mod 2 on a red divvi :-D I actually really liked it as a bike. Yes I could reach the side stand when on it, but it felt much lighter than the sv650's I done mod 1 on.

It seemed very light at the front so was really easy to corner tightly I found.

Should be easier next week as I will not be as apprehensive about the larger motorcycle.

As suggested by "Hoggs" will try to relax.

It's a case of getting used to the nuances of using the larger bike.

With ridding myself of a couple of habits picked up on the 125.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had another lesson but next week's lesson will solely be on the road.

I did a little bit more around the yard and laps around the industrial estate nearby to training school but still was a bit unnerved by larger motorcycle.

Was tending to overthink things whilst going around the estate as due to it being nearly empty of traffic at all times.

So was suggested to get out on to the main roads and see how I cope with larger motorcycle.

I found it easier whilst riding in normal traffic conditions as all I was able to do was concentrate on using the motorcycle and riding safely.

It's annoying as the instructor says that it's clear that I can ride the motorcycle.

Hopefully next week being solely on road will help me much lose the nervousness once the lesson is complete.

It's just going to take as long as required for to be of the standard to pass my test.

How long are your lessons?

Personally, since you are riding around on 125 just now, I don't understand why they are restricting you to the yard still.

If it's no better next week, I'd suggest looking at going to one of the other schools in the area. Both ScotRiders and GMTS get good reviews from me. If you genuinely don't feel comfortable out on the road on a bigger bike, and want to practise in the yard, ScotRiders yard is giant (very nearly the same size as the test centres pad).

Untitled.thumb.jpg.8ee782bc5930cf439df520c82f0cb0e1.jpg

I don't think it's anything to do with the training school it was just me.

It was me who decided on the yard and industrial estate to begin with.

Instructor suggested I was capable of going on to the road after last week's lesson.

Instructor suggested that I have 5 mins in yard to refamiliarize with motorcycle then out on to main roads and country routes etc.

Instructor suggested after riding in normal traffic that I should have went against my nerves at beginning of lesson and did the whole lesson on-road.

I was much more comfortable after the road ride.

I believe I would have had the same issues irrespective of what training school I went to.

Some people get used to feel of the bigger motorcycle quicker than others.

Lessons are 2hrs.

I did my CBT at Scotriders and can't fault their setup and instructors either.

I'm very much a Work In Progress

Another lesson undertaken.

This time fully out on to the road.

Still need to work on consistency in regarding to operating the motorcycle.

I'm having issues with the larger motorcycle that I don't have with the smaller 125.

Causing riding errors which I don't do on the smaller bike.

It's getting a bit frustrating.

Beginning with runaround the local area.

A ride through some housing schemes then out into the local countryside.

Then back to the Training site for some feedback.

Back out again with a another ride around some other local roads.

With further feedback.

All the training school bigger bikes are Diversion's either in the faired or unfaired guise.

All being older variants.

I've already come to the conclusion that once I pass my test I'm never riding a Divvy again.

It's a tool at the moment for passing my test sometime in the not too distant future.

Their is an adage that the larger bike is easier but my experience at the moment is otherwise.

I've not ridden another larger motorcycle so don't have something to compare this particular bike with.

It might just be the bike, myself or a combination of both.

Another lesson next week with hopefully more progression.

What issues are you finding with the bigger bike? Is it stuttering or stalling when you are riding/pulling away?

Is it the weight of it that is nothing you at a stop?

Issues with clutch control?

Someone might be able to give you pointers that might help :-)

The weight is not an issue due to being 6ft and around 16 Stone.

Certainly heavier but not unmanageable.

My issues:-

Sometimes the clutch and knowing what gear it's in.

Thinking it's in first but it's between first and second etc

With obvious results.

The bike has no gear indicator but on original CBT a couple of years ago coped without one on Suzuki GN125.

I know that engine tone and revs should tell whether to shift up etc.

Probably idiot operator.

Nobody needs a gear indicator, you pull away in first and go up the gears. Ride in the appropriate gear for the a speed, and when stopping come down the gears and kick it down the gears a few extra times to make sure it's in 1st ready to pull away. No need to even know what gear you are in.

I do understand that about not needing a gear indicator and clutch in and roll off throttle then up or down for the selected gear and gently roll on throttle and release clutch.

The revs and tone of the engine will tell you whether you are in the correct gear.

Reading through a topic by another forum user Aerodyll namely "Changing Gears" it's essentially the same problem as I'm having.

Because of poor gear changes approaching junctions it's upsetting everything else that I'm doing.

Therefore need to sort out my poor technique for going down the gears approaching junctions/roundabouts.

My control of throttle, clutch and usage of the motorcycle gears needs improvement.

Sorting out those issues should remove the tension.

Reading the advice offered I will try to incorporate into my riding on my next lesson.

Getting this technique sorted out should allow me to progress on to being at the stage of sitting Mod 1 & Mod 2 not too far away.

• 2 weeks later...

Another lesson today on road on another of the training schools motorcycles.

Should have had a lesson last week but due to the rain being of biblical proportions it was advised to postpone for another week.

Although the same make and similar age of motorcycle I managed to operate the motorcycle much easier.

Meaning that the issues regarding gears and riding through junctions were almost completely erased.

Instructor suggested that next lesson will be split partly on road and preparing for sitting Mod 1 shortly.

Much more at ease with motorcycle allowing for much less tension and apprehension.

Feels like I made a good step forward.

Did not feel frustration after this lesson.

• 4 weeks later...

On road lesson today due to previous one being cut short.

The next lesson will be 1/2 on road and 1/2 Mod 1 prep.

After the next lesson it's Mod 1 test and a couple lessons prep for the Mod 2.

Much more comfortable now and still have a couple of issues to iron out.

But it's more down to relaxing and giving myself more time to complete actions.

The likes of lifesavers, shoulder checks & road positioning I can do without fuss.

Informed I should breeze through both tests provided I relax and don't do anything stupid or dangerous.

It just takes a bit more to control the bigger bike with the more powerful brakes, clutch, gears, throttle, engine etc

It boils down to that I have done thousands of miles on 125 motorcycles but only around 10 hrs total on bigger motorcycle.

Everything has to be done in a more gentle and controlled manner.

Some people take to controlling the larger motorcycle a lot easier than myself and don't require as much tuition.

My control of throttle, clutch and usage of the motorcycle gears has improved to the extent that the missing gear indicator is a non-issue.

Another lesson completed with partial on road and Mod 1 practice onsite.

In ten days or so will be training on the actual DVSA Mod 1 site.

Provide that goes without issue booking of Mod 1 immediately after.

I completed all the slower elements of the Mod 1 on the site of my training school.

Wheeling the Bike,Figure Of 8, Slalom, U Turn & Slow Ride without fuss.

But the higher speed elements will be done on the DVSA Mod 1 site.

Still need to tidy up aspects of my on road riding to meet test standards.

So it's get Mod 1 passed and then a couple of 2hr lessons to nail down Mod 2.

Both Instructors believe that should I slow down things and plan earlier I would pass Mod 2 test easily. In retrospect I probably should have done Direct Access immediately after my 1st CBT.

It would have allowed proper training to instill the right habits from the off. Instead of habits I have obviously picked through time.

Just want to get the whole process out of the way even if it only means removing the "L Plates" from the 125. Then purchasing a larger motorcycle in the early months of next year.

For me it's a longer journey than anticipated in regards to obtaining full licence but it is what it is.

But you are improving and getting closer mate :thumb:

I can only assume you've maybe picked up a lot of bad habits in the mean time, and that's why it's taking a little longer to train you out of those habits. But best of luck mate I'm sure you'll be fine.