Lessons...Cars have it, what about bikes?

Guest mrhappydude

Hey guys,

First time user of the forum, I do not own a motorbike unfortunately, this is my little episode.

Ever since I was little I've worn my dads oversized helmet to go pillion on his yamaha, motorbikes always have fascinated me and yet I never had a go. Coming to England I decided to give it a try, CBT... I sat on that CB125 like I was sitting on a spaceship, I could twist the throttle for the first time and go vroom vroom.

Well, I was extremely nervous, I was the only geared bike in the class of 4 the others were riding 50cc mopeds and I was meant to learn as quickly as them. Everytime a mistake was made I'd get a laugh from my instructor and he'd just help me by repeating "just have a feel for it", "don't lean or you'll fall". Everything was said in a way that only made me more anxious. Maybe I'm being over sensitive, at the end he called me to one side and told me my better route would be to just buy a motorbike and ask a friend to help, practice on a private road or something and then comeback.

One day of training where half of it is just explaining how a helmet works was not enough for me, especially riding for the first time with the thought that in a couple of hours I'll be on the main road being told how bad I am at this.

I was just wondering if in London there would be the equivalent to car driving lessons but for bikes, where you take your time and buy as many lessons as you need to feel comfortable on taking a test. I live in South East London but wouldn't mind travelling for this.

Any tips, comments, suggestions on how to better start off all appreciated.

Cheers!

HappyDude

So your instructor on that CBT is an idiot, they should have explained what to do, how it works and taken their time with you.

If you want lessons on the road, you have to do the cbt. I remember from mine it was a 1 day thing with an optional 2nd day (included) if it was taking you longer to learn.

Hopefully someone in your area can suggest a good school for you to learn with who will do the job properly.

Good luck. :)

Sounds like a crap instructor - go somewhere else.

You cannot go out on the road without having completed CBT (except as the final part of the cbt itself).

The lessons you are asking about (like car lessons) are the next step after CBT. While you are legally permitted to go out on a 125 with L plates on your own after completing CBT, I would always recommend proper lessons. I see so much dangerous riding by people on small bikes and mopeds/scooters with L plates that I can only assume that many people dont bother.

1st - it sounds like your CBT instructor was rubbish, there seems to be a lot of that going around at the moment!

2nd - Weekly lessons like you do with cars are certainly possible (though not at all schools) - I'm doing some out near Wokingham/Bracknell at the moment which I guess is too far out for you but I would certainly recommend them (they're called Pinewood Motorcycle Training).

My CBT instructor was also incredibly shite, so I did a follow up session with a different place. Not only was the other place absolutely great, but they even managed to fit me in the very next day. Came away from the CBT a complete bag of nerves, came away from the training the following day having great fun. Should've gone to them in the first place! :roll:

:stupid:

Did my CBT with a place where the instructor was a total penis. Made me nervous about riding rather than excited. Didn't do me any favours but I chose a different school for my DAS and they were a world apart. I could see their CBT instructors were much better, and my DAS instructor is also an instructor certifier/trainer (not sure of the correct term) and he knew the guy who did my CBT. Referred to him as 'shouty John' which tells you all you need to know bout him :lol:

Edited by Westbeef

As above, the instructor was a bit shite. They should have explained clearly what to do: how to use the clutch, the front and back brakes and so on. It shouldn't be left to you to "get the feel of it".

To be fair, I think there's a also problem now with the CBT. It seems that they have so much that they have to explain about helmets and gloves and ice and leaves and stuff that it's typically not until the afternoon that you first get to sit on a bike . The result is that there's not enough time to get in sufficient practice before you have to go out for your ride of "about 2 hours". Some places deal with this by rushing the practice sessions and taking only the best out on the ride, asking the others to come back for another CBT (this is what mrs bonio had on CBT #1 and CBT #2), while others cut the ride down to just 40 minutes (as on mrs bonio's CBT #3).

I had some insufferably crap and shouty ar*ehole (Bike Sense) who took us out on the road for a ridiculously short session and spent most of the time berating us. Had my follow up session with Eurorider who were awesome.

So, several years later when [strikeout]Mrs [/strikeout]Dr (don't kill me) RantMachine had her CBT, I recommended Eurorider. Sods law they'd just bought out Bike Sense and shouty ar*ehole now works for them, and GUESS WHO she had for her CBT. Can't win!!

The more I read about CBT, MOD1, MOD2, A1, A2, etc and the number of people that seem to be struggling with it, which must be down to the requirements and / or the quality of instruction, the more glad I am I'll never have to do any of it. The CBT used to be something you had to be a complete retard to fail.

It sounds like this instructor was a knob though, it doesn't matter if everyone else is on twist & go, you've paid to do your CBT so he should be spending the time with you to get you going on the geared bike. Send all the twist and go's off on a slalom exercise for 1/2 hour and spend the time with you getting you going.

He should also have told you that you needed your CBT to ride on the road.

I'd complain and see if you can get some money back, unlikely but you can try.

And try a different school, get some local recommendations.