From the beginning to the end

Hello guys,

I'm a 27 years old guy who finally wants to start getting his licence and bike.

What I did so far was read a bit and I wonder how I should get the whole thing.

So … I do the CBT. But what I found out was, that it is less an training by the meaning of an introduction and wise words from a teachert then a first test to check how fit I am on a bike.

I'm not legal to drive. That's why I don't have a bike yet --- but they want me to show off the skills I already gained and check against their check list, right? I don't know any motorcyclists out there … Any advices?

The next step is easy, I try to prepare for the theory test. But wait sec! I read that I also should train my driving skills. How can I do that, without a bike? Would a successfully obtained CBT certificate allow me, to drive a motorcycle somehow? As soon as I pass the theory test I should do the practical test. Afterwards I'll have this 2 years restriction of being especially carefully and gain more experiences in biking.

I woudl be so glad to get a few constructive answeres out there.

Oh and by the way, I'm not a native speaker.

Greetings

Sam

Hello and welcome!

Right so you will need either a car driving licence or provisional before you can begin.

Then you book your CBT. this as you said is basic training and how to work a bike.

When you complete the course you'll get a certificate.

This lets you ride up to a 125 on L plates by yourself. No pillion. No motorways. This is valid for 2 years.

You will then need to do a motorbike specific theory test. These are done at test centres around the country use the DVLA website to find your nearest centre and book. This is valid for 2 years

You must have a valid CBT and theory to do your DAS. You are old enough to do this don't worry about the A1/A2 stuff

Mod 1. This is slow speed manoeuvres. If you pass this you can do...

Mod 2. This is the road element. Pass this and you will have a full license - no restrictions or retests

You can either do a CBT run around for a bit on a 125 or do everything together (will take a few weeks depending on available test dates)

hope this all makes sense :cheers:

With the current system you don't have a two year restriction. That was the old A2 licence. Now once you have done your DAS, you can ride anything, as long as your over 24 years old :-D :-D :-D :-D :)

I'm a 27 years old guy ....

This is good, that means you can do whatever you like as far as which license to go for. It'd make more sense financially to go straight for the full A license, unless you know for 100% that you're not going for a big big bike.

The next step is easy, I try to prepare for the theory test.

Theory test you can do whenever you like and you have 2 years after passing it to complete your full test (the same time limit as your CBT). You will be expected to complete that in your own time.

I read that I also should train my driving skills. How can I do that, without a bike? Would a successfully obtained CBT certificate allow me, to drive a motorcycle somehow?

Two ways you can do this. Like you said, if you pass your CBT you'll be able to ride a 125 with "L" plates for two years, after two years you need to have passed your test or you'll need to retake your CBT.

The other and what a lot of people do, and its what you HAVE to do if you go for DAS, is you use the bikes provided by a recognised training school. Take a look for motorcycle training in your area and I'm sure you'll find some reputable schools nearby.

At your age, A1 and A2 are somewhat pointless unless you have a real problem getting used to riding the big bike for DAS. But it depends on you, if you want a 125 for commuting a short distance and don't want to have "L" plates, and you know for 100% that you won't ever want anything bigger than a 125, then do the test on the 125 and stick with that. The thing with riding is it is very infectious. You'll ride a little while on a 125 get comfortable and confident and you'll want to go faster...which is why its best to do DAS if you're old enough. That way you can ride whatever you like whenever you want to.

Cheers guys! Your posts helped me a lot. I'm planning to learn with an 2016 printed "the essential skills" (DVSA) and a "the official DSA theory test for motorcyclists" from 2008. Do you think that's new enough? I mean I'll write down questions to each chapter in the first mentioned book anyway for study purposes.

If I should have any further questions I know now where to ask. :D

I'd probably look at a more recent theory test guide.

As a driver (although I'm onny assuming that - are you a car driver?) you should be fine with the theory questions (only a few bike specific q's) but the hazard perception test trips lots of people up.

This part shows you 10 computer generated videos and you need to identify the hazards as they crop up.

Do a bit of searching for motorbike hazard test - lots of the examples out there are older ones, but the current ones are fully CGI.

• 6 months later...

I wanted to follow up on the topic. Particularly the end part of things. How much will a bike insurance be for a 125 cc with a CBT?? I can only image it will be extremely expensive! Have been trying to get a few quotes for a 321 cc bike and the minimum is around 1000 pounds. Surely 125 on a CBT only will be the same rate. What are people's experiences there? or tips on cracking the insurance eff in the first year of holding a CBT.

Thanks!

Anna

I wanted to follow up on the topic. Particularly the end part of things. How much will a bike insurance be for a 125 cc with a CBT?? I can only image it will be extremely expensive! Have been trying to get a few quotes for a 321 cc bike and the minimum is around 1000 pounds. Surely 125 on a CBT only will be the same rate. What are people's experiences there? or tips on cracking the insurance eff in the first year of holding a CBT.

Thanks!

Anna

Well hello.....

image.thumb.jpeg.2e00bd1207179d027fcb04ae56b05e52.jpeg

I wanted to follow up on the topic. Particularly the end part of things. How much will a bike insurance be for a 125 cc with a CBT??

Depends a little bit on your age and a lot on where you live. If you live in a city be prepared to sell a kidney. If you're in the country you'll probably get change from a fiver :lol:

Thanks!

Anna

Welcome to the forum!

Insurance depends on many factors, the big ones being

Where you live (and where the bike is stored overnight)

Any driving convictions

How new/steal-able the bike is.

As an idea, my first year of insurance, no driving convictions, bike garaged at home address each night (in a middle of the road risk area). Brand new 125cc valued at £2.8k for a 26 year old was £330ish fully comp.

)

As an idea, my first year of insurance, no driving convictions, bike garaged at home address each night (in a middle of the road risk area). Brand new 125cc valued at £2.8k for a 26 year old was £330ish fully comp.

where as my 15 year old 1500 quid ninja, garaged cost 680 quid 3rd party f&t because I live in London :evil: