firebike betterbiker mini review

Well yesterday I attended the Essex firebike better biker half day course. It's held at their headquarters just off the A12, you can get more info by emailing here [email protected] or check out their facebook.

It was a 35 mile jaunt up to the venue for kick off at 9am. Their were 4 people on the course after a couple of no shows and it kicked off with a an hour or so of elfves of safety vids and talk. The kind of stuff to put in mind visibility, riding style, how people on the road think, etc. Nothing too new but presented well and not patronising which it could easily be. Key thing I learnt here was about Sacaddic masking, a key factor in the smidsy.

Then the good bit, out on to the roads of Essex. Myself and a very nice chap Andre were being led by Paul, a ROSPA gold rider and ROSPA advanced instructor. A number of observed rides to focus on road positioning to increase visibility through corners and avoid situations, taking it turns to lead. Regular stops for feedback, and a stop off for a brew in Thaxted, getting back to the centre at 2.30ish. Good mix of A, B and dual carriageway. Lots to learn and to keep practising. About 90 miles riding all in all. Thing that really struck me was how smooth the instructors riding was, lovely sinuous lines, prepared well in advance and able to effortless glide through corners, really something to aspire to.

Paul our instructor was great, very calm, insightful and a good ability to pass on information. Would definitely recommend to any riders looking for a great introduction to advanced riding techniques plus it's free, so cant argue with that. All in all a good day out with nice people on good roads blessed with lovely weather. Can't ask for more than that. I forgot to take pics so here are some random internet schizzles to brighten up my dull account.

343de7d95a4c0cf65568b0c297bb6d0f.jpg

200_s.gif

Andy Strougler who runs the Essex Fire Bike team is a good guy and has a good team around him.

They are taking over from Bikesafe in the county as the guys to go to, and they work with some very well qualified groups and instructors from outside the Fire service.

They all hold the RoSPA gold and diploma qualification, and are very real world, and of course they are volunteers so do the courses in their off time and don't get paid for doing it.

Really pleased you enjoyed it and found it beneficial.

They are taking over from Bikesafe in the county as the guys to go to, and they work with some very well qualified groups and instructors from outside the Fire service.

ah I thought it sounded a lot like Bikesafe. Although I had to pay for that even though they said it was funded by TFL (not moaning was just confused). I'm just glad stuff like this - and biker down - exist.