Mod1 training and test thursday... nervous!

Hello all!

Having been driving for 11 years I did my CBT end of June and have been riding a 125 since on advice of the instructor. I've got a 1000 miles under my belt and decided I want to get the tests done and get on a big bike, and so I start my DAS training tomorrow and have a test booked Thursday.

I've been trying to practice slow speed manouvres in quiet car parks etc on the 125 (a Yamaha MT-125) and have found it really difficult. I've mentioned this to friends who ride and they all seem to say that the bigger bike will be so much easier. Will I find that to be true?

I've seen it recommended a few times to go straight from CBT to DAS and I do wonder how people can skip the whole pootling around on a 125 :lol:

I felt the time I spent on my 125 was very useful. I practised all the slow speed stuff with my 125 until never had a problem with it. When I got on the bigger bike once I got used to the slightly different turning circle and heavier clutch I was fine.

Is there a particular manoeuvre you are having problems with?

The U turn is what's troubling me the most. I was shocking at the slalom on CBT but I think that boiled down to not having any experience on the bike, I've practiced that since and seem to be okay with that.

Sometimes I can get the U turn spot on and other times I feel the bike dropping towards the ground and so find myself put my foot down.

Hopefully I'll have it spot on tomorrow ready for the test. Looking forward to the big bike and will be learning on an sv650 :D

did my mod1 a couple of weeks ago.

managed to pass but my bad parts in training was the slalom.

just keep practising and it will come to you. my u turns weren't great at the start. all the instructors were saying to high rev it and slip the clutch but it didn't work for me so i just did it how i wanted and worked fine.

I've seen it recommended a few times to go straight from CBT to DAS and I do wonder how people can skip the whole pootling around on a 125 :lol:

I found it STUPENDOUSLY easy this way. I didn't ride a 125 I just stuck with the training and passed both modules first time with no experience.

I hated the U turn as well mate (in fact I hated the whole Mod 1, stupid rules) I even dropped the bike 3 times in my training session for the Mod 1 doing u turns, come the day of the test I couldn't manage to consistently string together some successful ones so it was gonna be hit or miss...picked up 1 minor because my wheel edged over the white line slightly on the U turn :lol:

Like everyone has said, keep your head and eyes up, point your chin where you want to go. Keep the revs up and slip the clutch, use back break if you need to help.

Something worth pointing out is don't worry about "over-revving" the engine, if you know what I mean, if your slipping the clutch and the revs are way up high and the engines singing, it doesn't seem to matter :lol: I completed everything, some of the slow stuff though I sounded like I was doing 30mph!!

Last bit of advice (because I was totally guilty of it) don't overthink anything. Take your time and hit one manoeuvre at a time, it's only 8 manoeuvres and lasts about 10 minutes in the end so don't over think anything. Oh and don't forget to do EVERY shoulder check, and even when he asks you to drive into and out of the test bay you're still being tested! Make sure you do all the checks during those times too and you'll be fine.

Thanks for all your messages and advice.

Just got back from my Mod1 training session and it couldn't have gone any better. The big bike is so much easier to handle than I could have expected and I only knocked a cone over once through my own overconfidence lol. Just to get it right on the day now but feeling much more positive than I was. I didn't like getting back on the 125 one bit haha.

Off to get some rescue remedy I think 😂

You'll be do fine. I did mine on an sv650 and found it would pull itself along nicely with no throttle just clutch out with occasional slippage but find what works for you and good luck

You'll be relieved to hear (well I am anyway) I passed. 1 rider fault which was 48kph on the hazard avoidance. I'll get over that. Thanks for all the help and advice ladies and gents.